Angelina Jolie undergoes double mastectomy

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Angelina Jolie undergoes double mastectomy - CNN.com

A wise but difficult decision - [My comment]

(CNN) -- Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a New York Times op-ed article on Tuesday that she underwent a preventive double mastectomy after learning she carries the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases her risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
"My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman," Jolie wrote. "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy."
<more>

Last edited:
Sharon Osborne did the same thing. Good for Jolie for preventative measures. And my blessing to her and all others who go through it. One was a bitch. I can imagine a double.

Shame doctors are so incompetent people have to do preventative mutilations.

Yeah, too bad they aren't Leonard McCoys and can just give someone a pill the cures them instantly.

Of course, if you prefer we could always go back the the barber/surgeon days of the 1800s.......... I wonder if bloodletting would fix the problem, maybe a mustard pack or two.

Um....there is no cure yet, Politico. If there were a magic pill...then nobody would ever need a surgery.

Angelina Jolie undergoes double mastectomy - CNN.com

A wise but difficult decision - [My comment]

(CNN) -- Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a New York Times op-ed article on Tuesday that she underwent a preventive double mastectomy after learning she carries the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases her risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
"My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman," Jolie wrote. "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy."
<more>

I had breast cancer, a lumpectomy and radiation therapy. I would think with regular mammograms, a double mastectomy wouldn't be necessary. I really can't make the decisions for others but I have to wonder why a cure for something they don't have yet? It is really effective? That's something we'll never know. Of course, if it gives them piece of mind, I guess it's worth it.

I do know that the radiation therapy wasn't easy and I think it messed up my immune system so, I don't know, maybe her way is better? I don't have any daughters but I would hate to think if I did have, that they would have to go through this. I was the first in my family with breast cancer.

It seems the process took several months for Jolie. I assume that included the very best reconstruction.

I was the first as well, AgainSheila. I declined radiation AND chemo and just had the left breast removed. If it comes back in the other breast, that one will come off too. If it goes somewhere else...well...I don't know what I will decide to do. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it..if I ever do. I pray I don't.

Many advancements have been made recently in this area. She very well may be doing this for nothing.

Reconstruction. Jolie can afford the best. Me? I didn't bother. I might have if I were younger.

desire?

you think she gives a rats ass about you desiring her?

she is married to brad pitt dude

Forum List

Back