Angelina Jolie undergoes double mastectomy

Anjelina Jolie is the most beautiful woman in the world today. Hands down.

With or without her breasts. My best wishes to her and her family.

Make it your best day ever!

- J.

Her mother died from cancer. She was wise to get out in front of it now.

Last edited:
Your wife had her breasts removed? I am sorry to hear that - but you still love her, despite saying that she wouldn't be as attractive with her natural breasts.

So what is your real opinion on women who have their breasts removed?
I just told you, and I think you're missing the point I was making. She may have done it unnecessarily. Amazing progress has been made in recent years regarding breast cancer. I personally think she made a mistake and I also think Brad will lose interest in her because of it.

Progress has been made, but that progress doesn't extend to actually curing it. Jolie has eliminated the need for chemo and radiation should she ever be diagnosed.

huh? If she ever is diagnosed, I almost guarantee you she will have chemo and radiation therapy; in fact, at this point those may be her only options.

Many advancements have been made recently in this area. She very well may be doing this for nothing.
Many times it's personal choice. Some women decide to opt for treatment such as chemotherapy etc. but the downside is the chances of it coming back are greater than mastectomy.

Angelina Jolie undergoes double mastectomy - CNN.com

A wise but difficult decision - [My comment]

(CNN) -- Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a New York Times op-ed article on Tuesday that she underwent a preventive double mastectomy after learning she carries the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases her risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
"My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman," Jolie wrote. "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy."
<more>

IMHO, preventive surgery like this is pretty presumptuous by the doctors and the patient. The gene doesn't mean you will get breast cancer, it just means you could get it. The 87% number isn't entirely accurate either. They get the number from the people who had breast cancer and had that gene. Say they checked 100 people who breast cancer for that gene and found 87 of them had the gene. That's not realistic to claim or insinuate if you have the gene there's and 87% chance you will get breast cancer.

Also having the gene doesn't necessarily mean cancer at all, much less a specific type of cancer. If you are healthy and take care of yourself,which Jolie should considering her profession, the risks are even less.

Can't help but feel the doctor who did the procedure also did the reconstruction as well, or at least was in a partnership with the reconstructive surgeon anyway. It seems like a drastic measure to take for a possible threat..

Many advancements have been made recently in this area. She very well may be doing this for nothing.
Many times it's personal choice. Some women decide to opt for treatment such as chemotherapy etc. but the downside is the chances of it coming back are greater than mastectomy.

She didn't actually have cancer. She made a decision based on her chances of getting cancer.

(CNN) -- Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a New York Times op-ed article on Tuesday that she underwent a preventive double mastectomy after learning she carries the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases her risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
"My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman," Jolie wrote. "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy."
<more>

IMHO, preventive surgery like this is pretty presumptuous by the doctors and the patient. The gene doesn't mean you will get breast cancer, it just means you could get it. The 87% number isn't entirely accurate either. They get the number from the people who had breast cancer and had that gene. Say they checked 100 people who breast cancer for that gene and found 87 of them had the gene. That's not realistic to claim or insinuate if you have the gene there's and 87% chance you will get breast cancer.

Also having the gene doesn't necessarily mean cancer at all, much less a specific type of cancer. If you are healthy and take care of yourself,which Jolie should considering her profession, the risks are even less.

Can't help but feel the doctor who did the procedure also did the reconstruction as well, or at least was in a partnership with the reconstructive surgeon anyway. It seems like a drastic measure to take for a possible threat..

But not unheard of, my niece by marriage had the same thing done.

<more>

Wow, I guess that rules out it being odd celebrity behavior. Still worry that this kind of thing could be abused by some doctors..

Wow, I guess that rules out it being odd celebrity behavior. Still worry that this kind of thing could be abused by some doctors..

I do too. I don't understand a "preventative mastectomy".

A very courageous and apparently well thought out decision, however, "some doctors also expressed worry that her disclosure could be misinterpreted by other women, fueling the trend toward mastectomies that are not medically necessary for many early-stage breast cancers. In recent years, doctors have reported a virtual epidemic of preventive mastectomies among women who have cancer in one breast and decide to remove the healthy one as well, even though they do not have genetic mutations that increase their risk and their odds of a second breast cancer are very low."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/h...reast-cancer-dilemma.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The influence a celebrity has on society can cause a ripple effect in behavior and attitude both positively and negatively. I hope the hucksters, quacks and bloodsuckers stay away from this issue.

<more>

The gene BRCA1 & BRCA 2 increase the risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer by 80%, some oncologist say that there are other patients that have developed cancer without the BRCA 1 and 2 genes causing it.

Maybe, but what we do know is that her risk of getting breast cancer has dropped from 87% to 5%.
So has her desirability. I'm just sayin'.

Only a man would say that. I apologize for our insensitivity at times, ladies. I really do.

Being a man I admit that I am unqualified to opine about the subject of breast cancer. However it seems to me that a woman at 37 years old and especially a Hollywood star who depends on her looks should get another couple of opinions before she relies on a genetic estimate that she has an 87% chance of getting cancer unless she has her healthy breasts removed. The issue tells a lot about breast cancer. One thing is that the hundreds of thousands of volunteer programs and fund raising for breast cancer have been nothing but a welfare program for cancer researchers. Another thing is that even incredibaly rich high profile people realize that if the genetic odds are against them they are likely to come down with cancer despite the pop-culture runs and marathons and other fund raising happenings.

Being a man I admit that I am unqualified to opine about the subject of breast cancer.
Don't kid yourself, "Male breast cancer is cancer that forms in the breast tissue of men. Though breast cancer is most commonly thought of as a woman's disease, male breast cancer does occur.

Male breast cancer is most common in older men, though male breast cancer can occur at any age.

Men diagnosed with male breast cancer at an early stage have a good chance for a cure. Still, many men delay seeing their doctors if they notice unusual signs or symptoms, such as a breast lump. For this reason, many male breast cancers are diagnosed when the disease is more advanced."

Male breast cancer - MayoClinic.com

Being a man I admit that I am unqualified to opine about the subject of breast cancer.
Don't kid yourself, "Male breast cancer is cancer that forms in the breast tissue of men. Though breast cancer is most commonly thought of as a woman's disease, male breast cancer does occur.

Male breast cancer is most common in older men, though male breast cancer can occur at any age.

Men diagnosed with male breast cancer at an early stage have a good chance for a cure. Still, many men delay seeing their doctors if they notice unusual signs or symptoms, such as a breast lump. For this reason, many male breast cancers are diagnosed when the disease is more advanced."

Great advice.

The influence a celebrity has on society can cause a ripple effect in behavior and attitude both positively and negatively. I hope the hucksters, quacks and bloodsuckers stay away from this issue.

A professional actor or actress gets a medical treatment so now members of the public have to run off and get the same thing? What kind of mindless culture are we talking about?

Shouldn't they call it "Pec Cancer"?

Forum List

Back