Angelina Jolie undergoes double mastectomy

What does it take for people to understand that a a genetic pre-disposition for cancer trumps all the bull shit "pink" happenings and feel good fund raising for breast cancer research that probably does more to keep university researchers in the latest Lexus cars than it prevents women from dying from cancer.

What does it take for people to understand that a a genetic pre-disposition for cancer trumps all the bull shit "pink" happenings and feel good fund raising for breast cancer research that probably does more to keep university researchers in the latest Lexus cars than it prevents women from dying from cancer.

If it weren't for those bullshit pink happenings and feel good fund raisers...I wouldn't have received the treatment I got, as fast as I got it, and all the wonderful doctors and surgeons and people affiliated assisting me through every step.

I didn't have the genetic test done. No reason to since nobody in our family has ever had BC. Except me. So now my sister is making sure to have a mamm every 6 months instead of every year.

Last edited:

If it weren't for those bullshit pink happenings and feel good fund raisers...I wouldn't have received the treatment I got, as fast as I got it, and all the wonderful doctors and surgeons and people affiliated assisting me through every step.

I didn't have the genetic test done. No reason to since nobody in our family has ever had BC. Except me. So now my sister is making sure to have a mamm every 6 months instead of every year.
Cons defend healthcare ceos earning hundreds of millions per year, but are against educators/researchers earning a good living.

Maybe your loyalty is misplaced. Your treatment by caring doctors and technicians is part of the health care system in the greatest Country in the world. It's not a result of "pink" happenings and donations to research centers.

Maybe your loyalty is misplaced. Your treatment by caring doctors and technicians is part of the health care system in the greatest Country in the world. It's not a result of "pink" happenings and donations to research centers.

Yes, it IS due to people marching, walking, donating, bringing more awareness to, etc etc etc. The very people who are involved in all this..mostly locals..paid along with the state for my care but if it were not for the people themselves, it probably would have gotten to stage 4 before I ever saw the surgeon.
But...think what you want.

Yes, it IS due to people marching, walking, donating, bringing more awareness to, etc etc etc. The very people who are involved in all this..mostly locals..paid along with the state for my care but if it were not for the people themselves, it probably would have gotten to stage 4 before I ever saw the surgeon.
But...think what you want.

yeah, OK

Breast Cancer funding is NOT exclusively for breast cancer research. The funds raised for BC is done so through many, many different organizations and charities, for the many tests, biopsies, surgeries, and treatment, 'university researchers' are not the only ones involved in the 'fight'...those funds help to save a womans life who otherwise can not afford to pay for all that.

Granny says, "Well, why didn't dey tell her dat before?...
:eusa_eh:
Doctors Say Not All Women with Jolie Condition Need Preventive Mastectomies
May 15, 2013 WASHINGTON — Actress and U.N. goodwill ambassador Angelina Jolie is in the spotlight for her decision to undergo a double mastectomy to reduce her chances of getting breast cancer, even though she is cancer free. The actress announced her decision, and her surgery, in an article she wrote for The New York Times. Jolie's decision was based on a genetic test she had -- and other options available to women facing a breast cancer risk.
She's beautiful, glamorous, and known for being outspoken whether it's about refugees or women's rights. Angelina Jolie's decision to have both breasts surgically removed when she doesn't have cancer, has put the spotlight on preventive surgery. Jolie's mother died of cancer when she was 56 years old. The actress said her children wanted to know if she would, too. Jolie said genetic tests put her chances of getting breast cancer at 87 percent and at 50 percent for ovarian cancer. Doctors have found that certain genetic mutations can increase the odds of developing breast and ovarian cancer. The two major genes associated with hereditary breast and ovarian cancer are BRCA1 and BRCA2.

One study found that if a woman develops BRCA-related cancer early in life, her daughter may get cancer even earlier than she did -- if she inherited the genetic mutation. Women with BRCA-related breast cancer have the same rate of survival as other breast cancer patients at the same stage. But Dr. Marc Boisvert of Medstar Washington Hospital says there's a significant difference. "The problem is that these cancers frequently appear in younger women, and younger women tend to have more aggressive cancers, and they’re not suspecting them," Boisvert said.

Women in their 20s and 30s are not likely to be screened for breast cancer. Those most likely to have the BRCA mutations are of east European Jewish descent. But "you can have it if you’re black, white, Hispanic, Chinese, Asian, any ethnic group can have it," Boisvert said. The National Cancer Institute recommends genetic testing if close relatives have had breast or ovarian cancer. But not having the BRCA1 or 2 mutations is not an all-clear sign. And having the genetic marker doesn't mean getting the disease is a given. But geneticists can come up with the likely odds -- which is why Jolie said her chance of getting breast cancer was 87 percent.

The cost for genetic testing can run into the thousands of dollars. The preventive surgery can lower the odds to less than five percent, but Boisvert says surgery isn't the only choice. "I think education is important here because you can get peace of mind knowing that you are being monitored very carefully and knowing what the numbers are, what the chances of recurrence are,” Boisvert said. Boisvert says in the end, the patient needs to be comfortable with her care, whether it involves careful monitoring or surgery.

Doctors Say Not All Women with Jolie Condition Need Preventive Mastectomies

Angelina Jolie undergoes double mastectomy - CNN.com

A wise but difficult decision - [My comment]

(CNN) -- Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a New York Times op-ed article on Tuesday that she underwent a preventive double mastectomy after learning she carries the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases her risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
"My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman," Jolie wrote. "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy."
<more>

God bless her. I hope she made the right choice for herself. Personally, I would never have preventive surgery of any kind. Keep yourself in shape, have regular checkups and if someday you develop a problem, deal with it then.

Angelina is showing a great deal of character and courage. She places more importance on her relationship with her kids than maintaining an outwardly perfect appearance.

Good for her. And I hope she lives long enough to hold her great grand babies.

Jolie and Pitt have never married and have no plans to marry.

If she's finished. It has nothing to do with this surgery.

If he stays together with her, he must love her really.
I wouldn't stay with her.

Seems both of you should get the basic facts right before opening your traps.

I like Brad Pitt, but I wouldn't watch any movie with him in future because I'd suspect him to be a pervert sticking it inside something without tits.

Unless he is doing it with vegetables, its got tits. Angelina most likely got the best reconstructive surgery that money can buy, so she probably has some nice silicon implants in place of the breast tissue. In any case, don't be so shallow. A woman is more than just breasts.

Angelina Jolie undergoes double mastectomy - CNN.com

A wise but difficult decision - [My comment]

(CNN) -- Actress Angelina Jolie announced in a New York Times op-ed article on Tuesday that she underwent a preventive double mastectomy after learning she carries the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases her risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
"My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman," Jolie wrote. "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy."
<more>
I hear bill Clinton offered 2500 for the set on eBay...

Forum List

Back