Another criminal slapped on the wrist ends up murdering a cop

In 2005, Williams was convicted of felony burglary in Skowhegan and sentenced to 17 days’ incarceration, one year of probation and $500 restitution, according to the Maine State Bureau of Identification.

1. Possession prohibited. A person may not own, possess or have under that person's control a firearm, unless that person has obtained a permit under this section, if that person:

A. [2001, c. 549, §2 (RP).]

A-1. Has been convicted of committing or found not criminally responsible by reason of insanity of committing:

(1) A crime in this State that is punishable by imprisonment for a term of one year or more;

Title 15, §393: Possession of firearms prohibited for certain persons

:thup:

PUNISHABLE. The fact that he was only sentenced to seventeen days is immaterial to the statute. The potential sentence was far more than a year so your argument is faulty.

No, he wasn't in prison because liberals don't want to lock up criminals. If you had read the link you would have seen that he was arrested for being in possession of a gun. Felons cannot own guns

he was arrested for being in possession without a permit, not for being a felon in possession.

is this too complicated for you, mikey?
How would you know that? Fact is, he has a lengthy history in multiple states of criminals acts. If he were locked instead of released the cop would still be alive.

As far as I can find, his "lengthy" criminal history consists of a burglary 13 years ago, a misdemeanor theft last year, and possession of an unlicensed firearm last month.

Which of those crimes warrants life in prison, in your mind?
Burglary is a felony. A life spent repeating crimes should be rewarded with lengthy prison time. Besides, liberals try very hard to keep these scumbags records away from prying eyes if at all possible. Not to mention libs plea bargaining felonies down to misdemeanors. You can go now, you've proven your disdain for LE and the law abiding.

According to the law, a "felony" conviction is one that results in more than a year in prison.

Burglary can result in that much time, but it didn't in this case. 17 day is quite a lot less than a year.

liar

Exactly what crimes were part of his criminal history?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

He was a crankster and lo and behold he was released from custody prior to appearing in Court on drug and gun charges. Typical.

Man Wanted For Killing Maine Sheriff's Deputy Was Arrested In Mass. On Gun Charges Last Month

Man Wanted For Killing Maine Sheriff's Deputy Was Arrested In Mass. On Gun Charges Last Month

He paid his bail.

That's how the system works.

Indeed it is. I wonder what his other criminal history is. I would be happy to bet you it is quite extensive.

According to a link posted in this thread, his record consists of a burglary conviction in 2006, a theft conviction last year, and the unlicensed gun last month.

because no reporters were digging into his background since he became the target of a manhunt.

That's what we know of. Like I said, when the reporters do some digging I will bet you that his record is quite extensive and extends back into his childhood.

In 2005, Williams was convicted of felony burglary in Skowhegan and sentenced to 17 days’ incarceration, one year of probation and $500 restitution, according to the Maine State Bureau of Identification.

Seventeen days does seem a little light for a felony conviction I have to say. I wonder what the facts of the case were?

yeah that is interesting i was thinking about looking it up

1. Possession prohibited. A person may not own, possess or have under that person's control a firearm, unless that person has obtained a permit under this section, if that person:

A-1. Has been convicted of committing or found not criminally responsible by reason of insanity of committing:

(1) A crime in this State that is punishable by imprisonment for a term of one year or more;

punishable is not the same as sentenced ya idiot

PUNISHABLE. The fact that he was only sentenced to seventeen days is immaterial to the statute. The potential sentence was far more than a year so your argument is faulty.

the whole thing is moot since he wasn't arrested for possession in maine.

del is another leftist blockhead

the whole thing is moot since he wasn't arrested for possession in maine.

the whole thing is moot since he wasn't arrested for possession in maine

--LOL

from the link you provided blockhead

(3) A crime under the laws of any other state that, in accordance with the laws of that jurisdiction, is punishable by a term of imprisonment exceeding one year. This subparagraph does not include a crime under the laws of another state that is classified by the laws of that state as a misdemeanor and is punishable by a term of imprisonment of 2 years or less;

No, he wasn't in prison because liberals don't want to lock up criminals. If you had read the link you would have seen that he was arrested for being in possession of a gun. Felons cannot own guns

he was arrested for being in possession without a permit, not for being a felon in possession.

How would you know that? Fact is, he has a lengthy history in multiple states of criminals acts. If he were locked instead of released the cop would still be alive.

As far as I can find, his "lengthy" criminal history consists of a burglary 13 years ago, a misdemeanor theft last year, and possession of an unlicensed firearm last month.

Burglary is a felony. A life spent repeating crimes should be rewarded with lengthy prison time. Besides, liberals try very hard to keep these scumbags records away from prying eyes if at all possible. Not to mention libs plea bargaining felonies down to misdemeanors. You can go now, you've proven your disdain for LE and the law abiding.

According to the law, a "felony" conviction is one that results in more than a year in prison.

Burglary can result in that much time, but it didn't in this case. 17 day is quite a lot less than a year.

Yeah? So? The crime is PUNISHABLE. The fact that the judge didn't sentence him to a year doesn't matter. He could have, that makes the guy prohibited.

That would depend on what statute he was convicted under.

Which we don't know, as of this moment.

Yeah? So? The crime is PUNISHABLE. The fact that the judge didn't sentence him to a year doesn't matter. He could have, that makes the guy prohibited.

I am finding quite a lot of conflicting information here - including, to start, that Maine does not classify any charges of burglary as a "Class D" crime.

If he was convicted of felony burglary it doesn't matter. The felony conviction automatically makes him a prohibited person according to Federal Law.

I am finding quite a lot of conflicting information here - including, to start, that Maine does not classify any charges of burglary as a "Class D" crime.

Yes, he has arrests in three states which is making obtaining accurate arrest info hard. I'm off to dinner but will check in later.

If he was convicted of felony burglary it doesn't matter. The felony conviction automatically makes him a prohibited person according to Federal Law.

Then why wasn't he charged with felon gun possession when he arrested?

That's what I'm stuck on.

class d and e in maine are misdemeanors

felonies are a, b and c

Then why wasn't he charged with felon gun possession when he arrested?

That's what I'm stuck on.

That's a good question. A friend of mine (Alameda County Sheriffs deputy) was attacked by a parolee. Broke my friends jaw but he was able to fight back and capture the bad guy. According to CA law the perp was supposed to be Violated back to prison for nine years. He was back out walking the street the next day. You tell me how shit like that happens?

Well, I think I just found the answer to my question.

His burglary conviction occurred when he was a minor.

Maine police shooting suspect John Williams, 29, who has a history of burglary arrests, was arrested March 22 when he drove off the road. Police said they found an illegal handgun with a large-capacity magazine and ammo in his car, as well as bags of white powder. Prosecutors tried to defend a $10,000 bail request but saw it reduced on appeal to $7,500 and then $5,000, after which Williams was freed.
Yarmouth chief: The system fails again

He should never have been released.

felonies are a, b and c
401. Burglary
1. A person is guilty of burglary if:
A. The person enters or surreptitiously remains in a structure knowing that that person is not licensed or privileged to do so, with the intent to commit a crime therein. Violation of this paragraph is a Class C crime; or [2001, c. 383,§53 (NEW); 2001, c. 383, §156 (AFF).]
B. The person violates paragraph A and:
(1) The person is armed with a firearm, or knows that an accomplice is so armed. Violation of this subparagraph is a Class A crime;
(2) The person intentionally or recklessly inflicts or attempts to inflict bodily injury on anyone during the commission of the burglary or an attempt to commit the burglary or in immediate flight after the commission or attempt. Violation of this subparagraph is a Class B crime;
(3) The person is armed with a dangerous weapon other than a firearm or knows that an accomplice is so armed. Violation of this subparagraph is a Class B crime;
(4) The violation is against a structure that is a dwelling place. Violation of this subparagraph is a Class B crime; or
(5) At the time of the burglary, the person has 2 or more prior convictions for any combination of the Maine Class A, B or C offenses listed in this subparagraph or for engaging in substantially similar conduct to that of the Maine offenses listed in this subparagraph in another jurisdiction. The Maine offenses are: theft; any violation of this section or section 651, 702 or 703; or attempts to commit any of these crimes. Section 9-A governs the use of prior convictions when determining a sentence. Violation of this subparagraph is a Class B crime. [2007, c. 476, §21 (AMD).]

felonies are a, b and c
401. Burglary
1. A person is guilty of burglary if:
A. The person enters or surreptitiously remains in a structure knowing that that person is not licensed or privileged to do so, with the intent to commit a crime therein. Violation of this paragraph is a Class C crime; or [2001, c. 383,§53 (NEW); 2001, c. 383, §156 (AFF).]
B. The person violates paragraph A and:
(1) The person is armed with a firearm, or knows that an accomplice is so armed. Violation of this subparagraph is a Class A crime;
(2) The person intentionally or recklessly inflicts or attempts to inflict bodily injury on anyone during the commission of the burglary or an attempt to commit the burglary or in immediate flight after the commission or attempt. Violation of this subparagraph is a Class B crime;
(3) The person is armed with a dangerous weapon other than a firearm or knows that an accomplice is so armed. Violation of this subparagraph is a Class B crime;
(4) The violation is against a structure that is a dwelling place. Violation of this subparagraph is a Class B crime; or
(5) At the time of the burglary, the person has 2 or more prior convictions for any combination of the Maine Class A, B or C offenses listed in this subparagraph or for engaging in substantially similar conduct to that of the Maine offenses listed in this subparagraph in another jurisdiction. The Maine offenses are: theft; any violation of this section or section 651, 702 or 703; or attempts to commit any of these crimes. Section 9-A governs the use of prior convictions when determining a sentence. Violation of this subparagraph is a Class B crime. [2007, c. 476, §21 (AMD).]

. . .

C. Has been adjudicated in this State or under the laws of the United States or any other state to have engaged in conduct as a juvenile that, if committed by an adult, would have been a disqualifying conviction:
(1) Under paragraph A-1, subparagraphs (1) to (4) and bodily injury to another person was threatened or resulted; or
(3) Under paragraph A-1, subparagraph (5).

He was convicted as a juvenile, of a non-violent burglary. That doesn't remove his gun rights.

That's why he wasn't charged with felon possession.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back