Another myth bites the dust

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
I have been told so many times that all we have to do is allow more grazing and logging on the forest to prevent fires. The Bootleg fire in Oregon gives lie to that nonsense. 76% of that forest has had logging and grazing on it. Not only that, like most forests in that the south central of Oregon, it is relatively clear of underbrush. Maps Illustrate the Extent of Logging and Grazing Across Bootleg Fire Footprint

I have been told so many times that all we have to do is allow more grazing and logging on the forest to prevent fires. The Bootleg fire in Oregon gives lie to that nonsense. 76% of that forest has had logging and grazing on it. Not only that, like most forests in that the south central of Oregon, it is relatively clear of underbrush. Maps Illustrate the Extent of Logging and Grazing Across Bootleg Fire Footprint
Does this mean raking the forests won't work either?:auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

Your cities are on fire from Antifa and you are OK with it so what is the problem with the forests on fire?

Your article doesn't tell us WHEN the area was logged, and to what extent it was logged. Was it selective cutting, Clear cutting or what?

76% of the area inside perimeter was previously logged and/or grazed

Previously logged, note the past tense, but doesn't tell us WHEN it was logged.

From the downloaded map:

Previously Logged is defined as areas that have been clear cut, thinned, or otherwise logged recently or in the past

As for Grazing, it is next to nothing about it.

The article is vague, not going to make a definitive statement when the details are clearly held back, it is a weak article.

Epic Fail!

Your article doesn't tell us WHEN the area was logged, and to what extent it was logged. Was it selective cutting, Clear cutting or what?

Previously logged, note the past tense, but doesn't tell us WHEN it was logged.

From the downloaded map:

As for Grazing, it is next to nothing about it.

The article is vague, not going to make a definitive statement when the details are clearly held back, it is a weak article.

Epic Fail!
Ever been down in those forests? I have, Most of the ranchers in that area graze their cows in the forest during the summer, and use their land to raise hay for the winter. There is little underbrush in the forest, and what there is is seldom more than a couple of feet tall. They often get ground fires because of the dry lightning that is common there during the spring and summer. Trees with burn scars on the base are common. But they are in an extended drought, and the trees are bone dry. The days and nights are now warmer, and hot spells more intense than they have been in the past. And the winds are stronger. And, in spite of having huge helicopters, four engine jumbo jets dropping retardant, they simply cannot control these crown fires. From the Mexican border to the Arctic Circle, we are seeing fire behavior on a scale we are not prepared for.

Ever been down in those forests? I have, Most of the ranchers in that area graze their cows in the forest during the summer, and use their land to raise hay for the winter. There is little underbrush in the forest, and what there is is seldom more than a couple of feet tall. They often get ground fires because of the dry lightning that is common there during the spring and summer. Trees with burn scars on the base are common. But they are in an extended drought, and the trees are bone dry. The days and nights are now warmer, and hot spells more intense than they have been in the past. And the winds are stronger. And, in spite of having huge helicopters, four engine jumbo jets dropping retardant, they simply cannot control these crown fires. From the Mexican border to the Arctic Circle, we are seeing fire behavior on a scale we are not prepared for.

Ha ha, then you can't tell us WHEN it was logged or how much grazing there was. Without the details no one can be sure what the true fire conditions were of the mapped area.

Like I stated before the post one article was VAGUE in the details, your effort to rescue here failed utterly.

I though you had a science education? it seems to struggle hard to barely show up in your comments.

Ha ha, then you can't tell us WHEN it was logged or how much grazing there was. Without the details no one can be sure what the true fire conditions were of the mapped area.

Like I stated before the post one article was VAGUE in the details, your effort to rescue here failed utterly.

I though you had a science education? it seems to struggle hard to barely show up in your comments.
Except, the OP isn't exactly what was said, more deceit from that warmer demofk.

explain what warmer weather has to do with forest fires?

Would the fire be smaller or larger without that grazing and logging?
With the combination of the drought, heat, and wind, I don't think it makes any difference at all. When the woods are that dry, the foliage and twigs explode when the fire driven by the wind hits them. A wind driven crown fire is almost unstoppable.

explain what warmer weather has to do with forest fires?
I guess I should have expected such a question from you. Put a towel over the rail on the porch at 45 degrees and humid. Now put one over that same rail at 85 degrees with 10% humidity. Which dries faster? Is that too much for your logical abilities?

I guess I should have expected such a question from you. Put a towel over the rail on the porch at 45 degrees and humid. Now put one over that same rail at 85 degrees with 10% humidity. Which dries faster? Is that too much for your logical abilities?
which one bursts into flames? you know magically!!!

Some of the worst wildfires happen on grasslands--that are grazed. Cherry picking one incident doesn't get it. How long has it been since that area was logged? "It is relatively clear of underbrush"-- You are a moron. If you knew anything about the area or fire, you would know that statement is pure bullshit. Try again.

With the combination of the drought, heat, and wind, I don't think it makes any difference at all. When the woods are that dry, the foliage and twigs explode when the fire driven by the wind hits them. A wind driven crown fire is almost unstoppable.
are you suggesting that forests haven't ever been dry and caught fire before? Still concerned with what your point is in here.

And you figure that not grazing or logging those fires will be less?

Some of the worst wildfires happen on grasslands--that are grazed. Cherry picking one incident doesn't get it. How long has it been since that area was logged? "It is relatively clear of underbrush"-- You are a moron. If you knew anything about the area or fire, you would know that statement is pure bullshit. Try again.
Ever been on the fire line of a crown fire? I have. What is bullshit is your attitude and those of all the deniers here that for political reasons cannot acknowledge that we are now in the consequences era of AGW.

Forum List

Back