Another perspective

Black fragility:

Symptoms:

1.) Blaming Whites for everything wrong in the Black community, oh its Whitey's fault that they have kids out of wedlock, or go to jail, or are uneducated.

2.) Calling Whites as point blank a racist oppressor.

3.) Believing in things like White fragility, or White privilege to stroke their egos.

I know what a black man thinks on this. I am that black man. Sowell doesn't represent me.

I didn't say Thomas Sowell represents you ... I only indicated he is a black man and provided what he said about the matter.
I don't disregard your opinion as a black man ... I just don't give you a blank check as far as being able to speak for anyone but yourself.

If you care to speak about white fragility ... As a black man ... Then there is certainly no reason anyone should accept your assessment without any supporting evidence.
You haven't figured out you are just going to talk yourself further into the corner.

You are providing it. Read your own posts.

I know what I posted ... And you can keep saying that all day ... You still haven't provided anything to prove your point.

That is what happens when you lack the wherewithal to actually prove your point.
Saying it is so doesn't make true ... Show me where it applies ... Or accept you are simply wrong.

You are proving my point for me. You have refused to listen. You have taken to the defensive. You have decided that my experience doesn't count and that you know so much better my experience that you suggest the preferred black person I should read. These are prime examples of what the person is talking about when she described what white fragility is. That how real it is. You are exhibiting the behavior without even understanding that's what you are doing.

Black fragility:

Symptoms:

1.) Blaming Whites for everything wrong in the Black community, oh its Whitey's fault that they have kids out of wedlock, or go to jail, or are uneducated.

2.) Calling Whites as point blank a racist oppressor.

3.) Believing in things like White fragility, or White privilege to stroke their egos.

Another example of white fragility.

You are proving my point for me. You have refused to listen. You have taken to the defensive. You have decided that my experience doesn't count and that you know so much better my experience that you suggest the preferred black person I should read. These are prime examples of what the person is talking about when she described what white fragility is. That how real it is. You are exhibiting the behavior without even understanding that's what you are doing.

How am I proving your point ... I am obviously listening to you.
If you would like to suggest that not agreeing with you proves your point ... That isn't evidence of anything.
I mean face it ... No one is required to agree with your junk science ... Nor is acceptance required as a provision of discourse.

You can say it over and over ... You still have nothing to offer but opinion.
That would be like me saying the sky is green and if you disagree with me it only proves my point ... :tongue-44:

Last edited:
I know what a black man thinks on this. I am that black man. Sowell doesn't represent me.

I didn't say Thomas Sowell represents you ... I only indicated he is a black man and provided what he said about the matter.
I don't disregard your opinion as a black man ... I just don't give you a blank check as far as being able to speak for anyone but yourself.

If you care to speak about white fragility ... As a black man ... Then there is certainly no reason anyone should accept your assessment without any supporting evidence.
You haven't figured out you are just going to talk yourself further into the corner.

You gave Sowell that check. And YOU certainly seem to think you can speak for all blacks. Again there is plenty of evidence. You and the other whites here are providing it. In fact the majority of the threads here in this section are examples if it. So instead of running your mouth, read the article I posted today and think about your condition.

You gave Sowell that check. And YOU certainly seem to think you can speak for all blacks. Again there is plenty of evidence. You and the other whites here are providing it. In fact the majority of the threads here in this section are examples if it. So instead of running your mouth, read the article I posted today and think about your condition.

Again ... I didn't ask you to tell me there is evidence ... I asked you to provide it ... Or show me and explain your reasoning.

How exactly does the fact I am willing to listen to your arguments instead of hiding in a corner letting you simply have your way ... Demonstrate my fragility?
How does my insistence that your (or the professor's) hypothesis is not sufficient proof of your conclusion ... Demonstrate my desire not to engage you or avoid the subject?

Until you can sufficiently answer those questions ... You need to stop running your mouth towards me.

How am I proving your point ... I am obviously listening to you.
If you would like to suggest that not agreeing with you proves your point ... That isn't evidence of anything.
I mean face it ... No one is required to agree with your junk science ... Nor is acceptance required as a provision of discourse.

You can say it over and over ... You still have nothing to offer but opinion.
That would be like me saying the sky is green and if you disagree with me it only proves my point ... :tongue-44:

white fragility, the idea that white people in the United States often grow up without having to talk or think about race and fail to build up the tolerance needed for discussions of any depth on the topic. When confronted with this understandable weakness, they often lash out or withdraw—the fragility in question.

You have chosen to lash out. You have shown you do not have the tolerance for a real and substantive discussion of race. To you we must look at it your way including reading from Thomas Sowell and adopting that view, if we cannot then we can't have a discussion. This is what you have shown. Your posts are The accidence. You prove the existence of white fragility every time you post.

You see the point of this thread is to get whites such as you to look internally at how you respond to the issue of race as it's presented. You can't even do that. Again, this is evidence. This is not about you disagreeing with me about race. It is about how white fragility is defined and what behaviors are descried as part of it. And you, as well as all the others here but a few have shown just how real white fragility actually is. Maybe the term should not be fragility, but obtuseness because that's what she is basically taking about. Because I see hat you got it all confused just by the use of the term fragility.

white fragility, the idea that white people in the United States often grow up without having to talk or think about race and fail to build up the tolerance needed for discussions of any depth on the topic. When confronted with this understandable weakness, they often lash out or withdraw—the fragility in question.

You have chosen to lash out. You have shown you do not have the tolerance for a real and substantive discussion of race. To you we must look at it your way including reading from Thomas Sowell and adopting that view, if we cannot then we can't have a discussion. This is what you have shown. Your posts are The accidence. You prove the existence of white fragility every time you post.

You see the point of this thread is to get whites such as you to look internally at how you respond to the issue of race as it's presented. You can't even do that. Again, this is evidence. This is not about you disagreeing with me about race. It is about how white fragility is defined and what behaviors are descried as part of it. And you, as well as all the others here but a few have shown just how real white fragility actually is. Maybe the term should not be fragility, but obtuseness because that's what she is basically taking about. Because I see hat you got it all confused just by the use of the term fragility.

Not accepting your unsupported garbage or the professor's editorial opinion ... Isn't lashing out against you or even the garbage.
It is more akin to laughing at your misguided delusions.

heironsense or aboyt eerythig eose you have said is not so.
Again ... I didn't ask you to tell me there is evidence ... I asked you to provide it ... Or show me and explain your reasoning.

How exactly does the fact I am willing to listen to your arguments instead of hiding in a corner letting you simply have your way ... Demonstrate my fragility?
How does my insistence that your (or the professor's) hypothesis is not sufficient proof of your conclusion ... Demonstrate my desire not to engage you or avoid the subject?

Until you can sufficiently answer those questions ... You need to stop running your mouth towards me.

You are not listening. You are telling me what I say is not so and you don't have proof to back that up while your ass is demanding proof be given to you. In the meantime, the very behavior the professor talks about you display. So maybe you provide proof of how white fragility or the refusal to have the ability to listen to the experiences if non whites claiming that you refuse give someone a blank check check to speak or how you refuse to give credence or enable these "beliefs", while making certain that your beliefs must be respected is not proof of the existence of the very things the professor was talking about.

I suggest you take that arrogance out of your mouth when you talk to me as well.

It's time for me to go do research. So think long and hard then you go read about what white fragility is.

You are not listening. You are telling me what I say is not so and you don't have proof to back that up while your ass is demanding proof be given to you. In the meantime, the very behavior the professor talks about you display. So maybe you provide proof of how white fragility or the refusal to have the ability to listen to the experiences if non whites claiming that you refuse give someone a blank check check to speak or how you refuse to give credence or enable these "beliefs", while making certain that your beliefs must be respected is not proof of the existence of the very things the professor was talking about.

I suggest you take that arrogance out of your mouth when you talk to me as well.

It's time for me to go do research. So think long and hard then you go read about what white fragility is.

Of course I am listening ... And it has nothing to do with what anyone "believes".

I asked you to provide proof.
I asked you to answer two questions directly related to the premise described in the OP.
You have provided neither.

If you would like to suggest that anyone is required to accept that nonsense and that it is allowed to go unchecked and unsupported ... Then you do need to do more research.
Start with scientific method ... And the ability to sufficiently prove your conclusions ... :thup:

Not accepting your unsupported garbage or the professor's editorial opinion ... Isn't lashing out against you or even the garbage.

Shut up and start reading. You do know how to read?

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, Ö. (under review). “But I’m shy!”: Classroom participation as a social justice issue.

Sensoy, Ö. & DiAngelo, R. (in press). “We are all for diversity, but…”: How faculty hiring committees reproduce whiteness and practical suggestions for how they can change. Harvard Educational Review.

Thurber, A. & DiAngelo, R. (in press). Microaggressions: Intervening in three acts. Journal of Ethnic & Cultural Diversity in Social Work.

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, O. (2014). Calling in: Ways of speaking, thinking, seeing: Cultivating humility, curiosity, and vision in service of anti-racist practice. Journal of Understanding and Dismantling Privilege, 4(2).

Sensoy, Ö. & DiAngelo, R. (2014). Respect differences? Challenging the common guidelines in social justice education. Democracy in Education, 2(1)

Matlock, S. & DiAngelo, R. (2015). “We put it in terms of “not-nice”: White anti-racist parenting. Journal of Progressive Human Services, 26(2).

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, Ö. (2014). Leaning in: A student’s guide to engaging constructively in social justice content. Radical Pedagogy, 11(1).

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, Ö. (2014). Getting slammed: White depictions of cross-racial dialogues as arenas of violence. Race & Ethnicity in Education, 17(1) 104-128. DOI:10.1080/13613324.2012.674023.

Matias, C. & DiAngelo, R. (2013). Beyond the face of race: Emo-Cognitive Explorations of White Neurosis and Racial Cray-Cray. Journal of Educational Foundations, 2(1).

DiAngelo, R. (2012). Nothing to add: The role of white silence in racial discussions. Journal of Understanding and Dismantling Privilege, 2(2), 1-17.

DiAngelo, R. (2011). White Fragility. International Journal of Critical Pedagogy, 3(3).

Schroeder, C. & DiAngelo, R. (2010). Addressing Whiteness in Nursing Education: The Sociopolitical Climate Project at the University of Washington School of Nursing. Advances in Nursing Science, 33 (3) 244-255.

DiAngelo, R. & Flynn, D. (2010). Showing what we tell: Facilitating anti-racist education in cross-racial teams. Journal of Understanding and Dismantling Privilege, 1 (1) Article 2.

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, Ö. (2010). “OK! We get it! Now tell us what to do”: Why we can’t just tell you how to do critical multicultural education. Multicultural Perspectives, 12 (2) 97-102.

DiAngelo, Robin J. (2010). Why Can’t We All Just Be Individuals?: Countering the Discourse of Individualism in Anti-racist Education. InterActions: UCLA Journal of Education and Information Studies, 6(1), . Retrieved from: Why Can’t We All Just Be Individuals?: Countering the Discourse of Individualism in Anti-racist Education

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, Ö. (2009). We don’t want your opinion: Knowledge construction and the discourse of opinion in the equity classroom. Equity & Excellence in Education, 42 (4) 443-455.

Sensoy, O. & DiAngelo, R. (2009). Developing social justice literacy: An open letter to our faculty colleagues. Phi Delta Kappan. 90 (5), 345-352.

DiAngelo, R. (2006). The production of whiteness in education: Asian international students in a college classroom. Teachers College Record. Vol 108(10), (p. 1960-1982)

DiAngelo, R. (2006). My class didn’t trump my race: Using oppression to face privilege. Multicultural Perspectives. Vol 8(1), (pp.51-56).

Sensoy, O. & DiAngelo, R. (2006). I wouldn’t want to be a woman in the Middle East: White female student teachers and the narrative of the oppressed Muslim woman. Radical Pedagogy. Vol. 8 (1).

DiAngelo, R. & Allen, D. (2006). My Feelings Are Not About You: Personal Experience as a Move of Whiteness. InterActions: UCLA Journal of Education and Information Studies. Vol. 2, Issue 2, Article 2. “My Feelings Are Not About You”: Personal Experience as a Move of Whiteness
Shut up ad state read

I obviously know how to read ... And have the courteously to answer your questions ... Something you have yet to demonstrate.
By the way ... The suggestion that I should accept anything you attempt to express without question ... Would be a far more applicable example of arrogance.

You can copy paste any number of articles ... But until you can answer the two questions I asked ... You are just full of shit.
I don't even have to agree with your answer ... You just have to use your brain and explain why you think what you do gathered from what I have posted.

That's on you ... :thup:

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, Ö. (under review). “But I’m shy!”: Classroom participation as a social justice issue.

Sensoy, Ö. & DiAngelo, R. (in press). “We are all for diversity, but…”: How faculty hiring committees reproduce whiteness and practical suggestions for how they can change. Harvard Educational Review.

Thurber, A. & DiAngelo, R. (in press). Microaggressions: Intervening in three acts. Journal of Ethnic & Cultural Diversity in Social Work.

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, O. (2014). Calling in: Ways of speaking, thinking, seeing: Cultivating humility, curiosity, and vision in service of anti-racist practice. Journal of Understanding and Dismantling Privilege, 4(2).

Sensoy, Ö. & DiAngelo, R. (2014). Respect differences? Challenging the common guidelines in social justice education. Democracy in Education, 2(1)

Matlock, S. & DiAngelo, R. (2015). “We put it in terms of “not-nice”: White anti-racist parenting. Journal of Progressive Human Services, 26(2).

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, Ö. (2014). Leaning in: A student’s guide to engaging constructively in social justice content. Radical Pedagogy, 11(1).

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, Ö. (2014). Getting slammed: White depictions of cross-racial dialogues as arenas of violence. Race & Ethnicity in Education, 17(1) 104-128. DOI:10.1080/13613324.2012.674023.

Matias, C. & DiAngelo, R. (2013). Beyond the face of race: Emo-Cognitive Explorations of White Neurosis and Racial Cray-Cray. Journal of Educational Foundations, 2(1).

DiAngelo, R. (2012). Nothing to add: The role of white silence in racial discussions. Journal of Understanding and Dismantling Privilege, 2(2), 1-17.

DiAngelo, R. (2011). White Fragility. International Journal of Critical Pedagogy, 3(3).

Schroeder, C. & DiAngelo, R. (2010). Addressing Whiteness in Nursing Education: The Sociopolitical Climate Project at the University of Washington School of Nursing. Advances in Nursing Science, 33 (3) 244-255.

DiAngelo, R. & Flynn, D. (2010). Showing what we tell: Facilitating anti-racist education in cross-racial teams. Journal of Understanding and Dismantling Privilege, 1 (1) Article 2.

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, Ö. (2010). “OK! We get it! Now tell us what to do”: Why we can’t just tell you how to do critical multicultural education. Multicultural Perspectives, 12 (2) 97-102.

DiAngelo, Robin J. (2010). Why Can’t We All Just Be Individuals?: Countering the Discourse of Individualism in Anti-racist Education. InterActions: UCLA Journal of Education and Information Studies, 6(1), . Retrieved from: Why Can’t We All Just Be Individuals?: Countering the Discourse of Individualism in Anti-racist Education

DiAngelo, R. & Sensoy, Ö. (2009). We don’t want your opinion: Knowledge construction and the discourse of opinion in the equity classroom. Equity & Excellence in Education, 42 (4) 443-455.

Sensoy, O. & DiAngelo, R. (2009). Developing social justice literacy: An open letter to our faculty colleagues. Phi Delta Kappan. 90 (5), 345-352.

DiAngelo, R. (2006). The production of whiteness in education: Asian international students in a college classroom. Teachers College Record. Vol 108(10), (p. 1960-1982)

DiAngelo, R. (2006). My class didn’t trump my race: Using oppression to face privilege. Multicultural Perspectives. Vol 8(1), (pp.51-56).

Sensoy, O. & DiAngelo, R. (2006). I wouldn’t want to be a woman in the Middle East: White female student teachers and the narrative of the oppressed Muslim woman. Radical Pedagogy. Vol. 8 (1).

DiAngelo, R. & Allen, D. (2006). My Feelings Are Not About You: Personal Experience as a Move of Whiteness. InterActions: UCLA Journal of Education and Information Studies. Vol. 2, Issue 2, Article 2. “My Feelings Are Not About You”: Personal Experience as a Move of Whiteness
Shut up ad state read
The OP and the point behind the thread makes more sense now that I've slept on it. The author was simply stating her observations of the reactions white students had to discussions of race. Those reactions get in the way of real discussion, cause a lot of "noise" that must be fought through before any actual discussion of the point can take place. It doesn't mean people are incapable of getting past these obstacles; it just takes a lot more work on both sides.
The author is just a white lady teaching a class. Imagine what BLM is up against trying to get people to listen to the real issues. All the furor over taking a knee during the National Anthem is a good example, I think. White people are screaming about patriotism and soldiers who've died, and anyone who points out the actual reason for the protest is immediately branded anti-American. So now, along with the other stereotypes of black people as a group, blacks are America hating. Perfect. It completely buries the reason for the protests to begin with and avoids any discussion of systemic racism.

Shut up ad state read
The OP and the point behind the thread makes more sense now that I've slept on it. The author was simply stating her observations of the reactions white students had to discussions of race. Those reactions get in the way of real discussion, cause a lot of "noise" that must be fought through before any actual discussion of the point can take place. It doesn't mean people are incapable of getting past these obstacles; it just takes a lot more work on both sides.
The author is just a white lady teaching a class. Imagine what BLM is up against trying to get people to listen to the real issues. All the furor over taking a knee during the National Anthem is a good example, I think. White people are screaming about patriotism and soldiers who've died, and anyone who points out the actual reason for the protest is immediately branded anti-American. So now, along with the other stereotypes of black people as a group, blacks are America hating. Perfect. It completely buries the reason for the protests to begin with and avoids any discussion of systemic racism.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness. I appreciate you Old Lady. Namaste.

Shut up ad state read

Thank you for your thoughtfulness. I appreciate you Old Lady. Namaste.
And to you.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

I obviously know how to read ... And have the courteously to answer your questions ... Something you have yet to demonstrate.
By the way ... The suggestion that I should accept anything you attempt to express without question ... Would be a far more applicable example of arrogance.

You can copy paste any number of articles ... But until you can answer the two questions I asked ... You are just full of shit.
I don't even have to agree with your answer ... You just have to use your brain and explain why you think what you do gathered from what I have posted.

That's on you ... :thup:

I have answered your questions. Plus you answer your own questions with the attitude you are taking. It's the exact behavior being described by he Professor, that's why I think what I do. I am not suggesting you accept anything I express without question. What I do say is that you look at yourself after reading the appropriate information and see if you are exhibiting those behaviors stated. Your attitude is one of you do not accept what I say that is based upon my personal experience because your experience that incudes never facing white racism tells you that it no longer exists, so then your experience and opinion is more important to the extent that you can question and doubt me you, but I must accept what I say to include your suggestion of what black peons I should think like.(from your perspective as a white person) on racism. This is exactly what the professor is talking about. How your whiteness allows you to think as you do. I can't help that you havened a conversation well above your pay grade. that you cannot understand. So maybe if you read what is given to you, beginning with the article in the OP and actually do some research on white fragility, you might be able to understand what is being said to you.

Shut up ad state read

Actually it will take more work only on one side. Whites must learn to LISTEN. But I don't feel like arguing that one detail with you because of the fact you raised so many more positives than that one negative.

OK we have had multiple threads about how blacks can do this or that and usually when the subject is turned to whites the thread gets trolled or moved. How about we look at a phenomenon called White Fragility. This is a term coined by a white female, Dr. Robin Deangelo.

th

White people in North America live in a social environment that protects and insulates them from race-based stress
. This insulated environment of racial protection builds white expectations for racial comfort while at the same time lowering the ability to tolerate racial stress, leading to what I refer to as White Fragility. White Fragility is a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium.”

“Any white person living in the United States will develop opinions about race simply by swimming in the water of our culture. But mainstream sources—schools, textbooks, media—don’t provide us with the multiple perspectives we need. Yes, we will develop strong emotionally laden opinions, but they will not be informed opinions. Our socialization renders us racially illiterate. When you add a lack of humility to that illiteracy (because we don’t know what we don’t know), you get the break-down we so often see when trying to engage white people in meaningful conversations about race.”

Dr. Robin DiAngelo

We have heard all the many ways blacks are fucked up and how we need to change according to the many whites here. How about we now look at what WHITES can did to erase the division by race in America?
No, white people try to live away from blacks because as soon as you move in, the neighbourhood goes to shit. And not tolerating living near blacks because of that makes us fragile. LOL!
Bitch doesn't even look very smart. Is that why you identify with her?

I bet you don't want to debate her.

White fragiity is real and you are an example of exactly what the professor s talking about.

Really ... How do you support that assessment ... Other than it is just something you would like to be true ...:dunno:

In all honesty ... You should really broaden your scope of knowledge.
Might I suggest you read ... "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" ~ by Thomas Sowell.

Might I suggest you not suggest anything to me like that anymore. I have read plenty of Sowell. Probably more than you have. He's a joke. My horizons are very wide, yours is not. You show this by suggesting Sowell. I support the assessment that white fragility is real because it is based on facts that you have been shown and the behavior you continue to exhibit. Such as the refusal to listen to my experience while suggesting that I read a black person you have decided is a good black in order to " broaden my scope of knowledge." I am just as black as Sowell and there isn't really much he can tell me about black people.

You're saying he doesn't represent all black people?

Forum List

Back