Ants.....simple Solution

eagle1462010

Diamond Member
May 17, 2013
To put it mildly I've been using pesticides that cost hundreds of dollars only to see them come back time and time again. I finally tried a simple solution that is very cheap and it is working.

I mixed Borax 2 tablespoons with 1/2 cup of sugar. I mixed it up and added 1 and 1/2 cups of Hot tap water and mixed it up until it was completely dissolved...........I then added some syrup for added flavor and tried it out.............

It is wiping out the ants that I baited with it beyond my expectations..........They gobbled the stuff up and it is destroying the beds..........All for about 50 cents...........

I just wanted to pass this on, as I learned about it on a video and was doubtful it would work.........But it did and I'm very happy about it...........It is working......

You can also put it in a spray bottle and spray the ants......They gobble it up and take it home where it kills the bed.........

Try it.....It works...........So happy with the current results I had to pass this on.

If you have mounds, put it on them, but you need to do the whole yard too. There are dry mixes that can be used in a spreader. Liquid ones, I assume, with a sprayer. We got a dry mix with borax in it from our local feed store and used a spreader over 2.88 acres late June. Still good. They said we have to do it every year.

OK. Next question. How far will fire ants travel to eat this stuff. Do I need to put containers all over my property or will they find it if I only have one or two set up?

I'm having to bait close to the beds. They are not traveling real far to get the stuff. I used Syrup to give it extra flavor for them. They say honey works real good as well.

This is great to know. Will it work on carpenter ants? I've been using diatomaceous earth sprinkled over their nests and the places they access the house. It seems to be quite effective. But any alternative is welcome.

The Carpenter ants are taking the bait and it's working.

OK. Next question. How far will fire ants travel to eat this stuff. Do I need to put containers all over my property or will they find it if I only have one or two set up?

I'm having to bait close to the beds. They are not traveling real far to get the stuff. I used Syrup to give it extra flavor for them. They say honey works real good as well.
Thanks!

The borax will kill them. What do carpenter ants eat? It is getting them to eat it. Sawdust? Do you have a grain and feed store around? They pointed me to what I needed.

I'm just using the sugar solution as in the first post mixing well. I actually baited another bed at half time on the Texas A M versus Arkansas game. Went out before posting this and the ants look like they are at the bar. Used a small styrofoam plate and weighed it down with a stick. Used a butter bowl on some, and they climb in eat it and go.

Long as nature doesn't get inside I try to avoid killing things. Ants didn't choose to be incarnated as ants (borrowing from Mormon religious beliefs about pre-existence in heaven then making a deal with God and being born if they promise to be Mormons.) :) Nor did we choose to be born humans.

All life therefore has just as much right to exist and do their thing as every other. Ants are supposed to be outdoors building their communties and doing their thing. I like to assume if we both evolved side-by-side we have some sort of mutually beneficial relationship going on, I often have difficult imagining what that might be, but still hop and jump over things walking around if I see it in time.

If we gleefully slaughter insects, rodents, etc. how might we be judged by our fellows or an observing alien race? "Don't kill us higher evolved aliens, we're humans!" - "Why not? We're as far beyond you as you are those ants you wipe out en masse'?" :)

Long as nature doesn't get inside I try to avoid killing things. Ants didn't choose to be incarnated as ants (borrowing from Mormon religious beliefs about pre-existence in heaven then making a deal with God and being born if they promise to be Mormons.) :) Nor did we choose to be born humans.

All life therefore has just as much right to exist and do their thing as every other. Ants are supposed to be outdoors building their communties and doing their thing. I like to assume if we both evolved side-by-side we have some sort of mutually beneficial relationship going on, I often have difficult imagining what that might be, but still hop and jump over things walking around if I see it in time.

If we gleefully slaughter insects, rodents, etc. how might we be judged by our fellows or an observing alien race? "Don't kill us higher evolved aliens, we're humans!" - "Why not? We're as far beyond you as you are those ants you wipe out en masse'?" :)

Good Grief.........They come into your home and eat it.

Ants serve a purpose in the forest.....yes to eat rotten wood and clean dead animals..........but in the yard they come into your home and are a pain in the butt.

So yeah, I gleefully get rid of the things that are a pain in the butt. But to say that we are wiping them out is beyond stupid.

You are one Weird dude Delta.

i am not sure about all of that

but we do let a couple of spiders set up shop in the home

they do a good job on the other bugs

Forum List

Back