Any others who are single not able to watch movies?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
So I love movies, especially non-fiction. I am able to still watch documentaries and such but I find it near impossible to watch a movie just for entertainment purposes now that I am single. Perhaps it is just because of the lost routine but I think it is moreso to do with the fact I can't discuss the movie with anyone, can't bounce ideas and think out loud.

Any of you like this or are you able to sit down and watch a movie alone?

I find it near impossible to watch a movie just for entertainment purposes now that I am single.

Sounds to me like you just need a new movie friend.

Screen Shot 2024-08-22 at 8.23.34 PM.png

So I love movies, especially non-fiction. I am able to still watch documentaries and such but I find it near impossible to watch a movie just for entertainment purposes now that I am single. Perhaps it is just because of the lost routine but I think it is moreso to do with the fact I can't discuss the movie with anyone, can't bounce ideas and think out loud.

Don't you have any friends? Or, any family at all?

I'm serious, it's bloody depressing at times. I've been slowly crawling from under my rock but with my health issues and my dog dying, I feel like the main character in an old country song. It's not cool. Life is sucked right out of me when I can't enjoy the most simple of pursuits.

Don't you have any friends? Or, any family at all?

Well, they are between 50km and 800km away. That was my mistake. I lost so many of my friends when I moved from Toronto. I had many friends and contacts, a long phone book of numbers. Over time we fade when I'm not on the scene anymore.

I was married for 18 years but I accepted moving here to live with my wife (and her father until his passing and before we bought our home).

It's a dire feeling. I am such a social person but I feel empty. I speak to my neighbour and I am able to tells some jokes and be somewhar normal. Ditto when I go to the grocery store and meet a cheerful cashier. Otherwise, I'm not in a healthy time in my life.

Not what I planned.

And they explain the plot to you?
Well, they are between 50km and 800km away. That was my mistake. I lost so many of my friends when I moved from Toronto. I had many friends and contacts, a long phone book of numbers. Over time we fade when I'm not on the scene anymore.

I was married for 18 years but I accepted moving here to live with my wife (and her father until his passing and before we bought our home).

It's a dire feeling. I am such a social person but I feel empty. I speak to my neighbour and I am able to tells some jokes and be somewhar normal. Ditto when I go to the grocery store and meet a cheerful cashier. Otherwise, I'm not in a healthy time in my life.

Not what I planned.

You know you're on the internet, right?

Hombre and I enjoy a lot of movies together but our tastes widely differ on others. Oddly he enjoys a lot of movies some would categorize as 'chick flicks' and we both enjoy most of the older war movies. And many comedies, drama and action movies, especially historical movies, we both enjoy.

But he happily watches his Clint Eastwood and most other westerns and the Godfather trilogy and such and slapstick comedies alone as I can't stand them. There are some older western I just love though.

And I happily enjoy my Star Trek, Harry Potter, and Sci fi movies and some old classics like "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" alone as those don't interest him. (He does like the first two Harry Potter movies but none of the rest.)

And they explain the plot to you?

You know you're on the internet, right?

Yeah.

The internet is forever, who cares? Im an open book

If you are suggesting that the chatroom feel of this forum is a replication of real friends (which I don't think you are suggesting), well clearly that would be as large an overstatement as one can make. It has helped me though, especially almost two years ago when I spoke about what I went through.

Hombre and I enjoy a lot of movies together but our tastes widely differ on others. Oddly he enjoys a lot of movies some would categorize as 'chick flicks' and we both enjoy most of the older war movies. And many comedies, drama and action movies, especially historical movies, we both enjoy.

But he happily watches his Clint Eastwood and most other westerns and the Godfather trilogy and such and slapstick comedies alone as I can't stand them. There are some older western I just love though.

And I happily enjoy my Star Trek, Harry Potter, and Sci fi movies and some old classics like "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" alone as those don't interest him. (He does like the first two Harry Potter movies but none of the rest.)

I'm glad you find common ground. It is what makes relationship enjoyable, right? I do miss that greatly. I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to entertainment, though probably more complex than most when the sum of my parts is added up.

When my wife was in my life I would watch some chick flicks with her but there were some shows she watched alone. I would often be on my tablet or if not, I was studying my self teaching A.I etc if it wasnt my cup of tea.

It is odd that when Blockbuster existed we argued alot about movies. Then with Netflix we seemed to find more common ground, perhaps because we could just pause and stop watching if the movie was a flop. I argued less about the movie as long as it wasn't ultra gory, I don't like sadistic horrors for instance, or too much cursing. Otherwise I was more flexible.

She definitely didn't like documentaries or war movies. That was my thing. Just as I didn't enjoy "Honey Boo Boo" or whatever that show was called lol. I would leave the room if she put that on.

Last edited:
Yeah.

The internet is forever, who cares? Im an open book

If you are suggesting that the chatroom feel of this forum is a replication of real friends (which I don't think you are suggesting), well clearly that would be as large an overstatement as one can make. It has helped me though, especially almost two years ago when I spoke about what I went through.

No Snowball, I'm suggesting you can make some new social associations in your local area via the internet. You know, the way millions and millions of others have.

My advice to the OP is move back to Toronto.

That's hit and miss.

If I sell my home I will have options but not too many as the majority of it will be for retirement.

We will see. It's not as if my friends who I hung out with in my 20s and 30s are going to be interested in such engagements 18 years later. They have moved on in life too. Some married, some not. Some with kids, others not.

I'm serious, it's bloody depressing at times. I've been slowly crawling from under my rock but with my health issues and my dog dying, I feel like the main character in an old country song. It's not cool. Life is sucked right out of me when I can't enjoy the most simple of pursuits.
Happiness is an inside job... maybe try reading more or I use to do early AM matinees fill up on popcorn and candy in an empty theater....
You might meat a like minded person to talk about the film....

No Snowball, I'm suggesting you can make some new social associations in your local area via the internet. You know, the way millions and millions of others have.

We have nothing here. I am on a dating app but when I receive a like from someone local I still like to take it slow. They seem to have other ideas.

It's difficult being single once you move past 40. These women feel the need to move fast. The internet has destroyed dating in many respects. We have lost our patience and humanity. I'm not interested in rebounding into a bad relationship again.,

Or move to the US. We're awesome.

Yeah. I've considered Texas or Arizona. Warm, cheaper cost of living. Direct people which I like. I'd like to live my life out among good people.

I can't like that California also has appeal despite the bad reputation San Fran has currently

Happiness is an inside job... maybe try reading more or I use to do early AM matinees fill up on popcorn and candy in an empty theater....
You might meat a like minded person to talk about the film....

The only problem with that is the stigma. I generally don't give a damn about that, but, I don't want to be "that guy" who when I was younger I would say "what kind of person hits the theatre alone"? It would almost reinforce my lonely plight lol,

As

Not what I planned.
are there any community groups you can join? My mother when she retired joined a local walking group and her phone is always buzzing on her what’s app with all the new people she met wanting to do big walks or hang out.

Get a new dog too. I meet so many people walking my dog, I talk to everyone (a few rude people don’t 😁)

Being alone is so rewarding. I am single and love it! Watching movies with anyone annoys me. Way better alone.

Forum List

Back