Any tips for general lower back pain?

Thanks for the advice all. I have orphenadrine but don't like taking them.
My next day off is Sunday so I'll reread this thread then.

Problem is, if your issue is nerve pain and not muscle pain, that will not do you any good.
I dunno, that's what the doctor gave me along with some kind of big ass patch that I wear for 12 hours then wait 12 hours to apply another one.

Well a large part of the diagnosis has to do with what you say to them, however they will usually do an x-ray first, which generally doesn't show shit, then they do an MRI. Sounds like the doctor took a shot in the dark, and if you are still having issues they will probably start more testing.

Well... I have two herniated discs, a bulging disc, stenosis, arthritis, and regenerative disc... I've had these problems since I had a car accident back in 2005. The other driver was under-insured and I didn't have under-insured driver insurance at the time so I was never able to get the surgery. Now I've had insurance that covers pre-existing conditions but doctors tell me to hold off on surgery until I basically can't walk anymore, and even if I want to have surgery I don't have the time to do it now with school.

That said, you can take a drug called Neurotin for nerve pain. It is kind of a narcotic, but was only put on the list because people were abusing it by taking handfuls at a time. Another one that I found works great for me is Zanaflex, which is a muscle relaxer.

Other than those, you can do several of the other recommendations listed here. Key thing will be, some of the things people have mentioned, most people will say you need to get an MRI done to make sure what you do doesn't actually do more harm than good. A good chiropractor won't work on you until they know the actual issue.

They have me on three Lyrica a day and from what I understand it's highly addicting and I want off of it.

Can't sleep more than five hours at a time and I have to use a walker some mornings so I'm really left with no other option.

Lyrica is similar to Neurotin but not quite the same. Zanaflex really helps me sleep at night... but you have to be careful with it because it lowers your blood pressure.

Yeah..I'm trying to avoid drugs like that.
Me to...I will stick with the pot.
Would have suggested it but the OP shut that shit down post 1.

Non narcotic & no pot.

Ever since I injured it a couple months ago it just aches all the time.
Muscle relaxers......ice.....stay off hot showers .....walk.....pt,...pull one knee at a time to your chest while lying on floor, hold for ten count....roll on stomach arch back by putting elbows on floor and hands under chin....watch TV with block of ice on back

Non narcotic & no pot.

Ever since I injured it a couple months ago it just aches all the time.
Muscle relaxers......ice.....stay off hot showers .....walk.....pt,...pull one knee at a time to your chest while lying on floor, hold for ten count....roll on stomach arch back by putting elbows on floor and hands under chin....watch TV with block of ice on back

Yeah the arch back thing... I forget exactly what the physical therapist called it, "Angry cat" maybe?

The upside-downey Mcgimmick. That could actually work.

Or, Chinese Shiatsu nerve manipulation.

Besides the "minimal invasive surgery" stuff.

Well... I have two herniated discs, a bulging disc, stenosis, arthritis, and regenerative disc... I've had these problems since I had a car accident back in 2005. The other driver was under-insured and I didn't have under-insured driver insurance at the time so I was never able to get the surgery. Now I've had insurance that covers pre-existing conditions but doctors tell me to hold off on surgery until I basically can't walk anymore, and even if I want to have surgery I don't have the time to do it now with school.

That said, you can take a drug called Neurotin for nerve pain. It is kind of a narcotic, but was only put on the list because people were abusing it by taking handfuls at a time. Another one that I found works great for me is Zanaflex, which is a muscle relaxer.

Other than those, you can do several of the other recommendations listed here. Key thing will be, some of the things people have mentioned, most people will say you need to get an MRI done to make sure what you do doesn't actually do more harm than good. A good chiropractor won't work on you until they know the actual issue.

They have me on three Lyrica a day and from what I understand it's highly addicting and I want off of it.

Can't sleep more than five hours at a time and I have to use a walker some mornings so I'm really left with no other option.

Lyrica is similar to Neurotin but not quite the same. Zanaflex really helps me sleep at night... but you have to be careful with it because it lowers your blood pressure.

Yeah..I'm trying to avoid drugs like that.
The problem that I have heard about Lyrica is there is a tendency to increase dosage especially if the pain level is high. Have you thought of using small amounts of marijuana along with the Lyrica?

Way ahead of you on the herb.
To be honest it doesnt do anything for the pain.

Years ago I had lower back pain. I was at the gym working around my pain when I caught the notice of another person. He introduced himself as a knesiologist. My problem wasn't my back. It was weak abdominal muscles that weren't strong enough to help the muscles supporting the bones in my back.

I built up my abs. The low back pain went away and never came back.

I have been treated for multiple myeloma bone cancer for the past year which did a number on my ribs and spine before it was diagnosed. As part of that of the treatment, I spent 12 sessions with a physical therapist. The solution was much as you say - stretching and strengthening aimed at the abdominal core. It has helped a great deal with both posture and back pain.

There is a great deal of info on the web.

The Chinese Shiatsu works too.

They can block the nerves and whatnot.

I have a lump on the right side of my spine. Can still pick up 235 without worrying about it.

Hurt my lower back doing heavy work when I was younger, and my back still 'goes out' from time to time. Tried several chiropractors who were no help, and may have actually made matters worse. A couple of them should be in Three Stooges movies, they were so bad.

Then tried two DOs in different cities. One was great. Gentle as anything, he was able to take care of my problems quickly and painlessly. He later moved to another city but I am able to, very carefully, manipulate my body as he did, and have been able to get myself out of the problems that still return every few years.

So my advice is simple: run like hell from chiropractors. That will strengthen your legs while keeping your wallet healthy. Then run on over to an Osteopath. Find one you like and trust. Make sure he is gentle and that you see results from his treatment.

You can try heat applied to the region it hurts.

and massage really helps too....massage is the best I think!

Starting with falling off a cliff when I was a teen and later injuries to my back, I've always had pain. Its not all but unbearable.

Some get relief with the Med X machine. Check with your physical therapist.

Some get relief with the Quell. Check Amazon.

If you're considering surgery, I strongly recommend you do a lot of research. Start with googling "back surgery failures".

Topical analgesics are not effective because they are just that - topical. The cause of the pain is deeper. Smartest thing you can do is strengthen your abdominal muscles.

Mostly, the answer depends on the cause.

Good luck.
I've been through physical therapy,three rounds of injections and i'm now scheduled for surgery next month to have a fusion job.
Apparently I have three bulging discs a bone spur and arthritis,basicly the trifecta.

Wow, good luck. I had surgery in 1991, an, "operation to remove the back of one or more vertebrae, usually to give access to the spinal cord or to relieve pressure on nerves". My problem was located in the L4, L5 and S1 lower back.

I have had no problems with leg pain or debilitating spasms since the surgery, However, I still have off and on inflammation in the area and thus use a brace and Ice when the pain first occurs.

Forum List

Back