Any tips for general lower back pain?

Good luck.
I've been through physical therapy,three rounds of injections and i'm now scheduled for surgery next month to have a fusion job.
Apparently I have three bulging discs a bone spur and arthritis,basicly the trifecta.

Wow, good luck. I had surgery in 1991, an, "operation to remove the back of one or more vertebrae, usually to give access to the spinal cord or to relieve pressure on nerves". My problem was located in the L4, L5 and S1 lower back.

I have had no problems with leg pain or debilitating spasms since the surgery, However, I still have off and on inflammation in the area and thus use a brace and Ice when the pain first occurs.

At this point I wake up after around four to five hours with extreme pain and have no choice but to get out of bed and sit upright for anywhere from a few hours to a dozen hours before the pain ebbs.
It's pretty much screwed my life for the last seven months.

Good luck.
I've been through physical therapy,three rounds of injections and i'm now scheduled for surgery next month to have a fusion job.
Apparently I have three bulging discs a bone spur and arthritis,basicly the trifecta.

Wow, good luck. I had surgery in 1991, an, "operation to remove the back of one or more vertebrae, usually to give access to the spinal cord or to relieve pressure on nerves". My problem was located in the L4, L5 and S1 lower back.

I have had no problems with leg pain or debilitating spasms since the surgery, However, I still have off and on inflammation in the area and thus use a brace and Ice when the pain first occurs.

At this point I wake up after around four to five hours with extreme pain and have no choice but to get out of bed and sit upright for anywhere from a few hours to a dozen hours before the pain ebbs.

I'm sorry to hear ...:(

But heat and massage should help you.:)

Non narcotic & no pot.

Ever since I injured it a couple months ago it just aches all the time.
Well, I'm lucky: 66 and no back pain, never have had any. One thing I'm pretty sure about, if you are over weight and/or have a big belly, get rid of it: that will contribute to, if not cause, back pain. Also, I recently read that there are stretches to do that help eliminate back pain: check it out.

Good luck.

Tried both.
No joy.....in fact sitting in the hot tub with a jet hitting the nerve made it worse.
It's weird having back problems with no actual pain in your back.
It's all in my upper right buttocks and down my leg with the occasional leg collapse due to numbness.

Good luck.

Tried both.
No joy.....in fact sitting in the hot tub with a jet hitting the nerve made it worse.
It's all in my upper right buttocks and down my leg with the occasional leg collapse due to numbness.

By heat I mean something like a hot water bottle applied on your back....not hot water in the tub

Good luck.

Tried both.

By heat I mean something like a hot water bottle applied on your back....not hot water in the tub

No dice.
Tried filling Ozarka bottles with hot water and laying on them with little results.

While there are so many reasons for back pain this was my experience. No gut and in good shape but rather suddenly I had severe pain whenever I changed positions like getting in the car after standing. Met with neurologist and surgeon and and had a number of scans. Chiros did nothing. It turned out to be a cyst, pushing on the nerves inside the vertebrae L3. The surgeon, highly respected, thought surgery would not help, the neurologist said he thought it would so they sent me to Mayo in Jacksonville for the tiebreaker. Mega first class outfit. Oriental doctor in short order reviewed the info and gave me a 70 per cent chance for relief if I had surgery. Cyst was drained but most important the surgeon installed a coflex device to keep the bone from grinding on the other and causing another cyst. The coflex device is not new, it has been in Europe for ten years but it has only recently been approved for use in the us. I could not be happier, I literally feel like a thirty year old. There is a u-tube video of the operation that is really worth watching. The coflex device is really nothing more than a spring helping to ease contact between vertebrae. I know this is not a cure all but if anyone is contemplating surgery you owe it to yourself to inquire about the coflex device.

I was having lower back pain a few years ago that almost stopped me from running. I got a Teeter inversion board and started using it just a couple minutes a day. I have not had back pain for 5 years and still run marathons. My best friend was popping pills every day for his back pain so he could play golf. I talked him into getting a Teeter board and he now takes no pain pills and plays golf 3 times a week. We are both 60 years old. I encourage you to get one. Good luck!
I encourage him to try one out at the store first, if he's like me he can't use em, my blood pressure goes through the roof.
Do you mean your head feels like the pressure is going through the roof or your actual measured BP shoots up? I'm just curious because I recall the first 3 or 4 times I used the inversion board I had that sensation of blood rushing to my head. I reduced the incline angle and it was fine. After using the board for a week I never had that sensation again.
My head turns read as a beet and feels like it's going to explode, yes my blood pressure went way up, didn't need a PB cuff to tell me that I know the feeling all too well.

Good luck.

Try not to sit, and use a pillow between your knees and sleep in the fetel position on your side, it takes the pressure off the nerves (at least for me). When you can, try to stretch your back muscles, bring your knees up to your chest slowly while lying on your back, but not soon after using ice. Then, return them slowly to feet flat on the bed or floor with the knees bent

Good luck.

Try not to sit, and use a pillow between your knees and sleep in the fetel position on your side, it takes the pressure off the nerves (at least for me). When you can, try to stretch your back muscles, bring your knees up to your chest slowly while lying on your back, but not soon after using ice. Then, return them slowly to feet flat on the bed or floor with the knees bent
My dad had back surgery and always slept with a pillow between his knees. He never complained of severe or serious pain, after the surgery. But he slept with the pillow between his knees always.

Good luck.

My dad had back surgery and always slept with a pillow between his knees. He never complained of severe or serious pain, after the surgery. But he slept with the pillow between his knees always.

slept with a pillow between his knees

that helps me too good advice

Good luck.

They must have told him about that when he had the surgery. And he did back stretches too. He didn't take pain pills and didn't complain about serious back pain. A smallish pillow, like a fairly thin throw pillow.

They must have told him about that when he had the surgery. And he did back stretches too. He didn't take pain pills and didn't complain about serious back pain. A smallish pillow, like a fairly thin throw pillow.

yes that was what the doctor told me so many years ago

learn to "deal with it" he said

never have taken any pain meds for it

yes that was what the doctor told me so many years ago

learn to "deal with it" he said

never have taken any pain meds for it
I don't think he was in pain. He had a missing disk. The surgery took place a long time ago, when I was a toddler. Like in the early 50's. I guess he was lucky it was so successful. Try the pillow thing.

Forum List

Back