Anybody speak multiple languages?

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
I know Spanish and French. I really want to learn another major language. German, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, etc....

Pimsleur is the best program I've found to learn a new language. It's better than Rosetta Stone because you can learn by listening in your car.

Anybody speak an interesting 2nd language?

I speak American, English, jive, hogwash, bullshit, ebonics, woman and liberal.

I used to teach classes in womanese, but I got shut down due to sexism.

No chicks allowed. Made sense, but you know how women are...

I took four years of French in high school. After 40 years it's very spotty at best. If I had to choose, that would be my go-to lingo.

Funny story- about 25 years ago I was in Quebec, went into a bar and ordered "trois bieres s'il vous plait".

The gal takes one look at me and says in perfect English "Yeah- what kind?".

Damn that burst my fucking bubble LOL.

I know Spanish and French. I really want to learn another major language. German, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, etc....

Pimsleur is the best program I've found to learn a new language. It's better than Rosetta Stone because you can learn by listening in your car.

Anybody speak an interesting 2nd language?

French, a bit of German and Portuguese. Never heard of Pimsleur. I dabbled with Rosetta a short bit and had a membership with Duolingo (still do if I use it) but none of that was a basis. German was the high school elective; French came from living there. Portuguese came from hanging out with Brazilians and collecting Brazilian music.

When I was going to France I got some Berlitz records to give myself a basis but it was living in France that taught me the language. Which is no help whatsoever in Québec. (Salut, H)

French and Spanish but not using it means I'm losing it. I got to use Spanish during our Caribbean trip and needing to refresh my French is a good excuse for a trip to France.

Learning languages is good for our brains. Teaching a second language to little kids helps them learn other things. It really is a shame we're so afraid of teaching kids languages.

I speak American

I already speak the right language, why should I learn another?

Forum List

Back