🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Anyone actually like their job

I LOVE my job!!

The boss is a total asshole, though. He is this total curmudgeon who makes the employees deal with all the company contacts because most everybody annoys him, he doesn't follow any of the traditional rules for business, he couldn't care less about the company reputation, and he he has to be told when it's time to run payroll, because he can't remember shit.

It's just one of the perks of running your own business, I guess.

I'm retired now but there were parts about my work that I loved and parts that I hated.

I used to love flipping houses I got great satisfaction turning distressed properties into nice homes for people.

Then I started buying rental properties and I hated being a landlord.

But I retired last year at 51 and I like that.

People who say they love their job need to ask themselves this one question:

Would you do it for free?

If the answer is no, then you don't love your job, you merely tolerate it.

I was a Marine I enjoyed that for 14 of the 16 years I was in, I got satisfaction from it and looked forward (mostly) to each day. I got mental problems and the last 2 years I lost some control till I lost it all which made life difficult. It wasn't the Marine Corps fault at all.

I think that a lot of people love their jobs.

In fact, they live for their work.

They may even believe that God led them to that work.

For example:

A teacher who has eager, cooperative, and intelligent students.

A nurse who helps grateful patients recover.

A cop who walks the beat (OK, they no longer walk a beat) and saves someone from being sucker punched.

A journalist who works for a news source that tells only the truth (OK, such a source may not exist).

Some people NEVER want to "retire." Work is so fulfilling for them.

Before retiring, I enjoyed many aspects of my job, the autonomy, traveling and meeting new people and especially seeing my own direct reports excel and rewarding them for their performance.

Everything eventually runs its course. After 35 years, I just woke up one day, and knew it was time for a new chapter, which was to do absolutely nothing if I didn't want to.

I think that a lot of people love their jobs.

In fact, they live for their work.

They may even believe that God led them to that work.

For example:

A teacher who has eager, cooperative, and intelligent students.

A nurse who helps grateful patients recover.

A cop who walks the beat (OK, they no longer walk a beat) and saves someone from being sucker punched.

A journalist who works for a news source that tells only the truth (OK, such a source may not exist).

Some people NEVER want to "retire." Work is so fulfilling for them.
or they just can't afford to retire

I'm in my third major profession, with a bunch of lesser jobs having been in the gaps between them.

First, I was a computer programmer/data analyst, from the mid 1980s until the early 2000s. I worked for a very small company, in an obscure field of underwater acoustics. My boss was (still is, I'm sure) a great man, a businessman, a scientist, an explorer, a philanthropist. One of the authors of the definitive work on the effect of man-made noise on marine mammals. The “R. Blaylock” mentioned in the acknowledgements in that work, on page xv in the preface, is me.

I enjoyed that job very much; and I greatly enjoyed my association with my boss. The one big downside to this job was that work was often unsteady. We'd alternate between having no work to do for weeks or months at a time, to having more than we could handle. Finally, during one unusually bad dry period, I was laid off for good.

My second major job was as a forklift operator in the shipping department of a Campbell's Soup factory. Not as intellectually-stimulating as my previous job, but few people realize how fun driving a forklift can be. It was a great work environment, and I was proud to be able to tell everyone I worked for Campbell's Soup. Who doesn't know and love that brand? I started there in 2006, and thought that would be the last job I ever had. The factory had been there since the 1940s, long before I was born, and I was sure it would still be there long after I was gone. This was the kind of place where many people had started working right out of high school, worked their entire careers, and retired from there. For me, a very welcome change from the unstable boom/bust of my previous career.

Some time in 2012, we all got the bad news that the factory was to be shut down. Soup/broth production was shut down at the end of January 2013. The production of Pace, Prego, and V8 products ended about a month or two later. My department, Shipping, was the last to go. I was among the half that were let go in mid June, with the other half holding in for a few more months. It was by seniority, and I was just barely the wrong side of the divide between those let go first, and those kept a while longer. In retrospect, perhaps that was for the best. It wasn't until I was out of that job that I realized just how badly the experience of being on a sinking ship for half a year was fucking with my head. My mindset could be understood by imagining me as one of the passengers left on the Titanic after all the lifeboats had left. I'd probably grab a bucket, and be bailing out water to the best of my ability, even though I had no chance at all of saving the ship nor my fellow passengers from the fate that awaited us; and getting very pissed off at my fellow passengers because I couldn't get any of them to also grab buckets and bail out water along with me.

A mental and emotional collapse took hold within days after that job ended, leaving me for months afterward in a very fucked-up mental and emotional condition.

I barely emerged from that condition in time to apply for a government program to help people who were pout out of work by major plant closings. Under this program, I was given a test to determine what profession might suit me, and then, based on that result, put through a trade school to train me to be an electrician.

I got straight As all through that course, and graduated therefrom in October of 2014. I struggled for a few years after that to get my foot in the door, somewhere to get into the trade, taking various Labor Ready jobs to pay the bills in the mean time. It was finally a Labor Ready assignment in May of 2017 that put me in a useful direction. It was a rooftop solar power system being built on a Home Depot very near my home. I did my job well, and the company that was running that project kept me for several similar projects after that, finally hiring me directly in August of 2017. That's the company that I am with to this day. Once I was hired, they put my on more “real electrician” projects, in the construction of buildings. I find this work to be very satisfying. My greatest professional satisfaction, so far, has been a warehouse distribution center in Tracy. When I joined that project, it was a not-quite-finished empty shell of a building. The walls were up, but the roof was not yet finished. I as kept on that project to the very end of it, during which I saw the lights come on that I had installed, saw various machinery come to life for which I had run the wiring and even saw the client move in and begin using the building even while we were still building it. It was thrilling to watch this building come to life, and to clearly see the results of my own role in making it happen.

People who say they love their job need to ask themselves this one question:

Would you do it for free?

If the answer is no, then you don't love your job, you merely tolerate it.

Reality is that most of us need to earn our living one way or another.

No, I wouldn't do my current job for free; not because I don't love it, but because if it didn't pay me, then I'd have to work at a different job that would pay me; which would not leave me any time or energy to give away for free to this job.

Yeah, my job is cool. The boss is nice, the coworkers are, too. Good atmosphere there, and the work itself isn't too bad.

My only complaint is that the payment could be better, but it's enough to keep me alife, so I'm good.

Forum List

Back