Anyone going to watch the Olympics this year?

Dutch volleyball player who raped 12-year-old British girl qualifies for Paris Olympics​

Here is what he said about the incident after pleading guilty to it.

“Your actions have wrecked your life and you could, had you never come to England and committed these offences, have been a leader in your sport,” Judge Sheridan said. “A young, naive, foolish child had formed the view that you loved her. In reality, you only knew her on the internet, had never met her before and were fully aware of the age difference.”

Upon his release in 2017 after only a quarter of his sentence, Van de Velde, who had wept in court on hearing about the girl’s subsequent self-harm and overdose, said: “I do want to correct all the nonsense that has been written about me when I was locked up. I did not read any of it, on purpose, but I understand that it was quite bad, that I have been branded as a sex monster, as a paedophile. That I am not, really not.

“Everyone can have their opinion about me, but it is only fair if they also know my side of the story.”

These remarks drew a withering response from the National Society for Protection of Cruelty to Children, who said: “Van de Velde’s lack of remorse and self-pity is breathtaking, and we can only begin to imagine how distressed his victim must feel if she sees his comments.

“Grooming can leave a child feeling ashamed or even guilty, because they believe they have somehow willingly participated when, in fact, an adult has preyed upon them in order to sexually exploit them.”

The Dutch Olympic committee have yet to comment on Van de Velde’s qualification for Paris, with The Australian reporting that the country’s volleyball federation are still to ratify their final athlete selections. The IOC has been contacted for a response.

Yea, I'm not watching the Olympics this year.
After the opening ceremonies....NOPE

Forum List

Back