AOC says "We’re not going back to working 70 hour weeks"

Depends very greatly on what bar, and where. Any job can be thankless.
AOC may or may not have worked hard as a bartender for the short time she did it.
I don't know. I don't care.

Of course not. You're one of those conservatives who believes he must promote everything bad about someone on the other side of the aisle and none of the good, simply because you hate the fact that there's a "good" aspect to just about everyone.

This is where AOC worked. It's nothing to rave about and doesn't have what one would consider to be a "high end" clientele.

IMG_6005-edit.jpg

As for her being pampered, I think she was. She most certainly has the entitlement "I'm owed stuff" mentality of a pampered girl, and her Father *WAS* in fact a partner in a highly successful architecture firm.

Now think about that. Entry level... base pay here in Columbus Ohio for an architect, is $58K. But he wasn't entry level. He was partnered in the firm. That's like an executive at a big company. And he wasn't in Ohio, or some mid-west town. He was in NYC.

You make it sound as though he rose through the ranks of this architecture firm to become a partner. He didn't. He was a partner because he he started the firm. Good for him; small business is a good thing. But it's no different than when I started my photography business, and I make a Helluva' lot more than $58K a year. So, I guess I'm the President and CEO of a highly successful photography firm! That's like an executive at a big company!!

In actuality, it's not like being an executive at a big company. I do all of the photography work. I do all of the photo editing. I do all of the invoicing. I do all of the printing. I do all of the mounting. I do all of the purchasing. I do all of the maintenance. I handle all of the transportation concerns. I make all of the travel arrangements. I do all of the marketing. I do all of the sales.

Show me "an executive at a big company" that does everything at that company. The fact of the matter is that he started an architecture firm that met a degree of success, but also suffered numerous money problems.

They had money. Plenty of it. Guaranteed.

The money her father had was grossly mismanaged.

He had two mortgages on the family home in Yorktown Heights. Why would a highly successful businessman; the equivalent of "an executive at a big company", have to carry two mortgages on one piece of property? That's senseless.

clients included developers and managers of low income housing, like the Mount Vernon Housing Authority and Promesa, a Bronx social services agency. The architect’s not-for-profit clientele, however, was not making him rich. Billing records show that Ocasio-Roman charged $65 an hour for his consulting services.

Her father's office was a few blocks from the Parkchester South apartment he bought in June 1986 for $36,000. He financed the purchase of the 725-square-foot Unionport Road residence with a $32,100 mortgage carrying an interest rate of nearly 12 percent.

12%?? Are you fucking kidding me?

He stopped paying the monthly common charges (think HOA fees) for his apartment in May 1993, prompting the Bronx condo's board to file a lien seeking payment of 17 months worth of arrearages. The architect fell so behind on the apartment’s mortgage payments that Citibank moved to foreclose on the loan. When unpaid principal, overdue interest, and late fees were tallied, the architect owed the bank more than the mortgage’s original amount.

Yeah, this guy was a regular Richard Branson, huh?

The Bronx condo was eventually foreclosed on.

That's something that happens to every "executive in a big company", right?

When her father died, he left behind no stocks, no bonds and annuities. The guy didn't even have a life insurance policy. Yeah, no "executive in a big company" ever makes those kind of financial moves.

His "highly successful architecture firm" had primarily low-income housing developers and non-profit organizations as clients. He charged $65 an hour. I don't even back out of my driveway for that.

I charge, and get, almost triple that, and I'm hardly at the high end of the spectrum.

His company's revenue was right around $500,000 a year. That's nothing. My annual revenue last year, for just me and my little one-man show, was just over $700,000. Now, of course, out of that comes taxes, and overhead, but I did pretty well, and I always put money generated by the business back into the business.

Annual revenue of $500,000 for "a highly successful architecure firm" is embarrassing...

Now that doesn't mean that AOC and her family didn't struggle after he died. People can make tons of money, and still live above their means, or irresponsibly. Remember, Michael Jackson made an estimated billion dollars in his life, and was on the verge of bankruptcy when he died.

He had a net worth of around $500,000,000 when he died. Did he have debt? Of course he did. But he was far from being bankrupt. It's estimated that he was in debt around $400,000,000 when he died. Poor guy, only $100,000,000 to call his very own...

1. He didn't have a written will. All of you that have a family at all, should have a written will. And especially if you have any kind of health issue, like cancer, getting a will done should have been a top priority.

He did not, and sound advice...

2. They blew all their money on life style. That makes you a moron. You should always be living on less than you make.

He blew the money on bad investments and business decisions...

3. They didn't have any savings or investments.

The only investments were the apartment which was foreclosed on and the family home in Westchester, which ended up selling for around $330,000. But he still had a mortgage of around $85,000 on that property when he took a home equity loan of $100,000 on it.

From all indications, the guy was a financial train wreck...

He didn't have a life insurance. If you have people in your life that are depending on your income, you should have life insurance, unless you have the aforementioned savings and investments.

Yup.

Again, chalk that up as a massive financial failure in the annals of Cortes family financial lore.

The bottom line is that there was never some massive instream of cash with which to lead a lavish lifestyle. Hell, the family's two cars were valued at $20,000 combined.

Additionally, if her family really didn't have any money, when her father was a partner at a successful architecture firm in big shot NYC, then she should be supporting lower taxes, not raising higher taxes.

Again, the whole "successful architecture firm big shot in NYC" is a silly misnomer. You make it sound like they had sprawling offices on Central Park West. The firm's office was a small apartment in the Bronx...

It doesn't surprise me much, that after getting a degree, she could only work for non-profits, and as a bartender. Looks without brains, pretty much guaranteed her a job in government, or as a bartender.

Ain't no shame in being a bartender. Here in St. Augustine, a bartender at our most popular live music nightclub can clear $750 a night...

She has said and promoted an endless stream of objective stupidity, that continue to this day.

I won't argue that an iota. She's an idiot. But she's not an idiot who grew up with privilege...

The sad part is, AOC's parents came here from Puerto Rico.

You really need to check your facts before spewing them out in public. Sergio Ocasio was born and raised in New York City...

That's why most of her life, has been spent living off the hard work of others.

Most parents try to ensure that their children reap the benefits of their hard work. My parents did that for my brother and I the best they could, and I've certainly done that for my daughter. It''s called "paying it forward"...

Yeah, she might have worked a year when her foolish parents screwed up their lives, but she clearly didn't learn jack from that experience.

Yeah, what nerve her father had by dying and forcing her to go to work as a waitress and a bartender.

Like I said, there are a myriad of things for which we can criticize AOC. Being a child of privilege, though, is something no intelligent person would try to do...

“When we have this discussion about going back or reopening, I think a lot people should just say ‘no, we’re not going back to that.’ We’re not going back to working 70 hour weeks just so that we can put food on the table and not even feel any sort of semblance of security in our lives,” Ocasio-Cortez finished.
Who in the hell works 70 hours a week?!!!

Average Hours per Week Worked (US)
Age 16-19: 24.1
Age 20-24: 34.8
Age 25-54: 40.5
55 and Over: 38.0

FACTS.. AOC... FACTS....Do you see the average hours being 70 hours a week!!!

Furthermore, are people actually working “60, 70, 80” hours per week?
The BLS defines full-time workers as those working at least 35 hours per week.
Those working 60 or more hours are workers with two full time jobs, a full time and part time job,
or two part-time jobs that are nearly full-time.
Data show that, among workers with multiple jobs, the vast majority are managing either one full-time job and a secondary part-time job or two part-time jobs. Only a tiny fraction (4 percent) work two full-time jobs.
If we extrapolate their average daily work hours to a full week, multiple jobholders work an average of 42.95 hours per five-day workweek,
relative to 39.7 hours for single jobholders, though they are also more likely to work on the weekends.

Study: People Claiming to Work More Than 70 Hours a Week Are Totally Lying, Probably
Not only that, but the more hours that people work, the more they exaggerate. Americans who say they work 75 hours a week tend to be exaggerating by 25 hours. (The average American work week in September was 34.5 hours, according to the BLS.)

SO...AOC... who is working 70 hours a week? How many Americans work 70 hours a week?
Or is this just more BULLSHIT!!!

Nazi Pelousy made AOC work a whole 10 days in April. I don't think that equates to 70 hours a week.....but then AOC sux at math.

I will be mildly surprised if AOC has ever worked a 70 hour week in her life. I have worked my fair share of overtime over the years but I never racked up 30 hours of it in one week.
The bar wasn't open 70 hours a week?

Probably, but that doesn't mean SHE worked all those hours. See, businesses have these things called "work shifts", where one group of workers leaves and another group comes in and replaces them.

Did you honestly think that 24-hour WalMarts had the same people working around the clock all the time?

I will be mildly surprised if AOC has ever worked a 70 hour week in her life. I have worked my fair share of overtime over the years but I never racked up 30 hours of it in one week.
I have but it doesn’t last long. Long term 50 is about the limit.

And the important question is, did you do it voluntarily? I've had jobs where there was mandatory overtime during busy seasons, and they told me about it when I was hired, I considered it as part of accepting the job, and I was rather excited about earning the extra money.

The average person working in the food industry works 70 hours a week.
They also have little education and the food industry is 24/7.
I hope Liberals on Food Stamps and Welfare are prepared to pay a lot more for food.
Where did you get your statement average person working in food industry works 70 hours/week???
Here are the FACTS and based on the FACTS you are an out right LIAR! Prove it that food industry works work 70 hours! Prove it!
Do you see the leisure and hospitality? 26.1 hours! In fact the only group working the most at 42.2 hrs is utilities!
View attachment 327099
Stop and Shop.
Western Beef.
About a dozen kosher supermarkets in Nassau County.
I see the same people easily working from early morning to very late at night.

The owner or the manager, perhaps. There are labor laws governing how much overtime most types of employees can be made to work, y'know.

I hope Liberals on Food Stamps and Welfare are prepared to pay a lot more for food.
Where did you get your statement average person working in food industry works 70 hours/week???
Here are the FACTS and based on the FACTS you are an out right LIAR! Prove it that food industry works work 70 hours! Prove it!
Do you see the leisure and hospitality? 26.1 hours! In fact the only group working the most at 42.2 hrs is utilities!
View attachment 327099
What's funny about this is that everyone I know in any career requiring a advanced degree works at least 80 hours a week.
Don't believe reality matches "Offical" Government rules.

Are you actually trying to justify Occasional Cortex's insane remarks on the basis of lawyers trying to make partner and doctors working through their residencies?

“When we have this discussion about going back or reopening, I think a lot people should just say ‘no, we’re not going back to that.’ We’re not going back to working 70 hour weeks just so that we can put food on the table and not even feel any sort of semblance of security in our lives,” Ocasio-Cortez finished.

Those working 60 or more hours are workers with two full time jobs, a full time and part time job,
Data show that, among workers with multiple jobs, the vast majority are managing either one full-time job and a secondary part-time job or two part-time jobs. Only a tiny fraction (4 percent) work two full-time jobs.
If we extrapolate their average daily work hours to a full week, multiple jobholders work an average of 42.95 hours per five-day workweek,
relative to 39.7 hours for single jobholders, though they are also more likely to work on the weekends.

Study: People Claiming to Work More Than 70 Hours a Week Are Totally Lying, Probably
Not only that, but the more hours that people work, the more they exaggerate. Americans who say they work 75 hours a week tend to be exaggerating by 25 hours. (The average American work week in September was 34.5 hours, according to the BLS.)

SO...AOC... who is working 70 hours a week? How many Americans work 70 hours a week?

I worked 70 hours many weeks during my career as an Engineer. However, I got paid very well for it.

Did you honestly think that 24-hour WalMarts had the same people working around the clock all the time?

Bad comparison.

Pick one eight hour shift and ask if the same people work that same shift day after day. They probably do.

No different than a bartender who work eight or ten hours a night behind the bar, every night...

View attachment 327099
What's funny about this is that everyone I know in any career requiring a advanced degree works at least 80 hours a week.
AGAIN what's funny is how many people is that? 10? 20? 100?
Bullshit! AGAIN subjective unqualified and totally irrelevant to what AOC stated. YES I can believe some worked 80 hours! I did when
I was in college. Worked several part time jobs. Went to class and studied for a couple. BUT that is the EXCEPTION! NOT the rule!
Please stop with the personal, subjective statements "80 hours a week" bullshit!
I worked on Wall Street and most of the guys and gals in the Synagogues in my community have advanced degrees...
They have always worked about 70-80 hours a week to make their 100K+ salaries + benefits.
Blue Collar workers have no choice and if they don'[t work the hours they get replaced.
I suggest you go out and take a real hard look because I know you're a hard core Conservative and you want to believe the US economic system is comprised of total justice.
It isn't.

Have you ever heard of labor laws? You might want to look into what they are in your state.

I guess it would depend on what part of the food industry you are referring to? Most are lucky to get 40 hours...

Especially right now.
YOU were saying????
View attachment 327107
Do you really believe these charts reflect reality!?

Do you really decide who is and isn't reliable based on whether you like what they say?

I worked 70 hours many weeks during my career as an Engineer. However, I got paid very well for it.

And I'm guessing you knew about it beforehand and agreed to it voluntarily.

Bad comparison.

Pick one eight hour shift and ask if the same people work that same shift day after day. They probably do.

No different than a bartender who work eight or ten hours a night behind the bar, every night...

Interesting how you said, "Bad comparison" and then said not a damned thing that contradicted me.

Bad comparison.

Interesting how you said, "Bad comparison" and then said not a damned thing that contradicted me.

You must be new at this. I can't believe you need to have this spelled out for you.

People who work at Target or Wal-Mart generally work the same shift every day they work. Your question, "Did you honestly think that 24-hour WalMarts had the same people working around the clock all the time?" is stupid because no one ever suggested such a thing...

Yeah, there are people who work 70 hours a week. Most are CEOs, and all of them do so because they want to. Of course she hates CEOs... but whatever.

I've worked 70 hours a week.... to pay off some debts and bills I had decades ago. Then I quit.

AOC and reality.... the non-stop disconnect.
You're lucky.
There are people across our fruited plain living in Blue Cities, who for one reason or another cannot leave, who spend a lifetime working those hours.

Name some.

I guess it would depend on what part of the food industry you are referring to? Most are lucky to get 40 hours...

Especially right now.
YOU were saying????
View attachment 327107

Yeah. Easily. I've worked several restaurants. Those graphs match up with my experience.

The only people who worked more than 40 hours, were managers.

The reason for this is obvious, or should be. Managers are paid a ton of money (which compares to their responsibility), and they have to run the operation.

Crew, which makes up the bulk of employees, which hold no responsibility, and are paid hourly, tend to work less than 40 hours a week.

The only exception to this, is usually shift managers. The shift managers are paid hourly, so they try and keep their over time low, but at the same time they are also in charge of the shift, and typically this means they end up being the "fill-in" for missing crew. Every employee that is sick, or often simply refuses to work, the shift manager ends up stepping in to take their place.

So compared to my 4 different retail jobs I have worked in the my life, this graph is dead on accurate.

The top manager or store owner, never worked less than 40 hours.... ever.
Top operation managers and so on, also rarely worked less than 40.
Shift managers and mid-level supervisors, worked more or less than 40, depending on employees showing up on-time, or missing work.
And basic employees... rarely is ever worked over 40. In fact, half rarely put in 40 hours.

So again.. yeah. I think the graph is dead on accurate.

Why on Earth would you pay time-and-a-half for one employee to work 50 hours a week instead of paying two employees to work 25 hours a week at regular pay? A manager would have to be retarded to do that.

Especially right now.
YOU were saying????
View attachment 327107

Yeah. Easily. I've worked several restaurants. Those graphs match up with my experience.

The only people who worked more than 40 hours, were managers.

The reason for this is obvious, or should be. Managers are paid a ton of money (which compares to their responsibility), and they have to run the operation.

Crew, which makes up the bulk of employees, which hold no responsibility, and are paid hourly, tend to work less than 40 hours a week.

The only exception to this, is usually shift managers. The shift managers are paid hourly, so they try and keep their over time low, but at the same time they are also in charge of the shift, and typically this means they end up being the "fill-in" for missing crew. Every employee that is sick, or often simply refuses to work, the shift manager ends up stepping in to take their place.

So compared to my 4 different retail jobs I have worked in the my life, this graph is dead on accurate.

The top manager or store owner, never worked less than 40 hours.... ever.
Top operation managers and so on, also rarely worked less than 40.
Shift managers and mid-level supervisors, worked more or less than 40, depending on employees showing up on-time, or missing work.
And basic employees... rarely is ever worked over 40. In fact, half rarely put in 40 hours.

So again.. yeah. I think the graph is dead on accurate.
You also worked far away from NY, NJ, FL, CA and other major city where the average uneducated employee is treated like shit and can't afford an attorney to outsmart the attorney from the better university,

Of course, those states also have the strictest labor laws, if I remember correctly. By why would you bother to know about that, when you're busy flailing away to find solutions we already have for problems we've already handled, in service of worshipping Queen Brainless, AOC?

View attachment 327099
AGAIN what's funny is how many people is that? 10? 20? 100?
Bullshit! AGAIN subjective unqualified and totally irrelevant to what AOC stated. YES I can believe some worked 80 hours! I did when
I was in college. Worked several part time jobs. Went to class and studied for a couple. BUT that is the EXCEPTION! NOT the rule!
Please stop with the personal, subjective statements "80 hours a week" bullshit!
I worked on Wall Street and most of the guys and gals in the Synagogues in my community have advanced degrees...
They have always worked about 70-80 hours a week to make their 100K+ salaries + benefits.
Blue Collar workers have no choice and if they don'[t work the hours they get replaced.
I suggest you go out and take a real hard look because I know you're a hard core Conservative and you want to believe the US economic system is comprised of total justice.
It isn't.
I used to work for a heavy equipment manufacturer right after college. The laborers,machinists,welders etc worked 10 hr days starting at 5:00/6:00 am. With shorter hours during the summer ( too hot).
I have learned over the last 10 years that the real world one lives in depends upon the industry, the locale, the technology and the perceived markets.
These people work their lives away and no one appreciates the fact that the road they drive on and the building they work it relies on the skill and integrity of these people.
Well, after all, their not CEOs!
What the hell does a CEO do anayway?!

"These people work their lives away". Which people? Who? Name 'em.

Yeah, there are people who work 70 hours a week. Most are CEOs, and all of them do so because they want to. Of course she hates CEOs... but whatever.

I've worked 70 hours a week.... to pay off some debts and bills I had decades ago. Then I quit.

AOC and reality.... the non-stop disconnect.
You're lucky.
There are people across our fruited plain living in Blue Cities, who for one reason or another cannot leave, who spend a lifetime working those hours.

I don't believe you. Gotta be honest. I don't believe you.

In fact the only place I know of where people worked more than 40 hours, were two manufacturing companies that had overtime for a weekend shift. Even then, people openly said they applied for that job specifically because of the overtime.

I was at such a job. Worked there 6 months, and while they said over and over, mandatory over time, they never once had it.

So where are these poor enslaved souls that work 70 hours? Where? What evidence do you have to support such a claim?

More importantly, I had a job that was terrible. I came up with a novel solution. I quit. If you are working too much, why don't you quit?

And by the way, I do not accept "bills and debt" as a reason you can't quit. I have novel solution to that as well... cut the cable TV, cancel internet, turn off your phone. Magic.... bills go away. I know because I did this. Don't spend more money than you make, and you won't have debt. And yes you can do this.

So why don't they quit?

My husband not only applied for his job because of the chance at overtime, he volunteers to do it specifically on weekends so that he gets time-and-a-half AND the weekend differential.

What the hell is wrong with leftists that they assume everyone hates working and earning money?

Why on Earth would you pay time-and-a-half for one employee to work 50 hours a week instead of paying two employees to work 25 hours a week at regular pay? A manager would have to be retarded to do that.

There could be any number of reasons for doing that, and none of them are retarded.

One worker may be more efficient and do more actual work in those 50 hours on his own than when he's paired with a less efficient worker for 25 hours.

Consistency is another reason. Let's say you've got two guys painting a wall. One guy paints side to side, the other paints up and down. The paint job would be more consistent if only one of them were painting...

Forum List

Back