Appeals Court Strikes Down NYC's Big-Soda Ban...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Wow, common sense prevails. You don't see much of that coming from our Courts these days. Great to see Nanny Bloomberg take a hit on this one.

New York City's crackdown on big, sugary sodas is staying on ice.

An appeals court ruled Tuesday that New York City's Board of Health exceeded its legal authority and acted unconstitutionally when it tried to put a size limit on soft drinks served in city restaurants.

The state Supreme Court Appellate Division panel upheld a lower court decision that had delayed the measure before it took effect in March.

The rule would stop many eateries from selling non-diet soda and other sugar-laden beverages in containers bigger than 16 ounces.

The beverage industry and other opponents say the measure is riddled with exceptions, unfair and ineffective.

The city's law department has promised an appeal.

Appeals court strikes down NYC's big-soda ban - Yahoo! Finance
DRUDGE REPORT 2013®

Bwhahahaha That idiot Bloomberg biatchslapped like he deserves.. "RULER OF NEW YORK" or so he thought.

Good news! I wonder how much this boondoggle is costing that city? And now how much for the appeal?

I would have purposely purchased a big soda in violation of this law, in order to be on trial.

Wouldnt work. They were not going after the BUYERS, they were going after the SELLERS. and it wouldnt be a conviction of anything, just a nice big money making fine.

I would have purposely purchased a big soda in violation of this law, in order to be on trial.

Wouldnt work. They were not going after the BUYERS, they were going after the SELLERS. and it wouldnt be a conviction of anything, just a nice big money making fine.

Punishing and fining Businesses for selling Big Gulps? Yikes! What a country we're becoming. It's time for Big Brother to get the Hell out of the way. Small Businesses are rapidly disappearing, yet they want to fine some for selling a specific sized soda? This one example is a great example of why we need a much smaller Government. Time to push the Big Government Nanny/Police Staters aside.

Last edited:

Punishing and fining Businesses for selling Big Gulps? Yikes! What a country we're becoming. It's time for Big Brother to get the Hell out of the way. Small Businesses are rapidly disappearing, yet they want to fine some for selling a specific sized soda? This one example is a great example of why we need a much smaller Government. Time to push the Big Government Nanny/Police Staters aside.

I think it was a ploy to get more tax revenue. You had to buy 2 that probably equaled more than the one and cost quite a bit more, thus more tax revenue.

An appeals court ruled Tuesday that New York City's Board of Health exceeded its legal authority and acted unconstitutionally when it tried to put a size limit on soft drinks served in city restaurants.

The state Supreme Court Appellate Division panel upheld a lower court decision that had delayed the measure before it took effect in March.

Poor Mayor Nanny. One of his pet projects bit the big one.

I dunno what it was really about. I think the scientific evidence is more that while insulin results in weight gain, we get less insulin from a non-diet soft drink than from simple carbs, like pizza and pretzels and even bagels, but does the city of immigrants go after those .... nnnnnoooooo. LOL

Forum List

Back