Are "Hate Crime" Laws Constitutional?

No Constitutional Authority for Federal Hate Crime Law Cato Liberty

I am of the opinion that so called "hate crime" laws are not constitutional and are racist by nature. They carry a grave danger with them as they are not evenly applied and are a creation of politicians pandering for votes. When the politicization of the law takes place it is a slippery slope to tyranny. Attorney General Eric Holder admitted that "hate crime" laws are racially biased. What does the board think?

Hate crime laws were ruled constitutional, your personal opinion notwithstanding.

No Constitutional Authority for Federal Hate Crime Law Cato Liberty

I am of the opinion that so called "hate crime" laws are not constitutional and are racist by nature. They carry a grave danger with them as they are not evenly applied and are a creation of politicians pandering for votes. When the politicization of the law takes place it is a slippery slope to tyranny. Attorney General Eric Holder admitted that "hate crime" laws are racially biased. What does the board think?

Is it unconstitutional to pass hate crime laws? Why?

I would just elevate the punishment for all crimes, and make calling said crime a hate crime moot.

Murder is murder.

You are wrong . Motive is the base of almost all our crimes .

Murder is not murder . There's different degrees, and even justifiable homicide .

If you shoot a robber in your house , you get the death penalty ?? After all you murdered him.

How about drink driving death? Death penalty !?

H.Res.569 - Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States.114th Congress (2015-2016)

Text - H.Res.569 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States.

...:wtf:

WOW Talk about a bunch of clueless bastards.

Wonder how the vote will go when the terrorists kill a few hundred Americans???
Just a few hundred? 13,202 have died in the USA this year alone by guns and no one cares. What's a few hundred more?

Gun Violence Archive

Every crime is a "hate crime." You dont kill someone because you love him. There should be no distinction. If murder is wrong, it is wrong. The motives are not really an issue.
Similarly "domestic violence" is also wrong. If a man goes next door and beats up his neighbor's wife that isnt domestic violence. If he does the same to his own wife it is. That is totally wrong.

Awesome . So you agree that the police in these black lives matter cases should all go to jail for murder ! I knew you'd come around .

"Motives are not really an issue " right ???

Who cares about the Constitution anymore? Welcome to 'Fundamental Change'!
Depends on how you interpret the constitution. You do realize that Ron Paul, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio would all interpret the constitution differently, yes?

H.Res.569 - Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States.114th Congress (2015-2016)

Text - H.Res.569 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States.

Just a few hundred? 13,202 have died in the USA this year alone by guns and no one cares. What's a few hundred more?

Gun Violence Archive

Yeah but they haven't been killed by terrorists.

Once that happens no one will give a rats ass about a supposed "hate" crime.

Good God. PC at its best.

I would just elevate the punishment for all crimes, and make calling said crime a hate crime moot.

Murder is murder.

Murder is not murder . There's different degrees, and even justifiable homicide .

If you shoot a robber in your house , you get the death penalty ?? After all you murdered him.

Try to actually read into my statement, instead of drive by misunderstanding it.

Yes, there are different degrees of murder, but why make it a difference between planning to kill a guy (murder 1) for his money vs. planning to kill a guy because he is black? Murder 1 is Murder 1.

Gun Violence Archive

Hold on. Terrorism is constitutional! Who cares what the terrorists motives are , only their actions . We can now throw out all those terror laws .

Murder is murder.

Try to actually read into my statement, instead of drive by misunderstanding it.

Yes, there are different degrees of murder, but why make it a difference between planning to kill a guy (murder 1) for his money vs. planning to kill a guy because he is black? Murder 1 is Murder 1.

I agree. Murder is murder no matter the reason.

This hate crime bullshit is just that. Bullshit. PC bullshit.

What the Supremes say and what's constitutional is not synonymous. Determining what is or is not a hate crime should not be left up to a jury or a judge. In one case they may say the races were not relevant. In a similar case with a different jury or judge they might say race was relevant. Your personal bias is bound to play a large role.

Plus why is it a worse crime if a thug hits you because he hates everyone versus hating tall people? Or short people? It's stupid, wrong and entirely politically correct.

Gun Violence Archive

Hold on. Terrorism is constitutional! Who cares what the terrorists motives are , only their actions . We can now throw out all those terror laws .
Terrorism is an act of some sort. Who called for not prosecuting crimes?

Murder is murder.

How can you have different degrees of murder? It's all the same, that's your argument . A dead body = murder = death penalty in every case .

Every crime is a "hate crime." You dont kill someone because you love him. There should be no distinction. If murder is wrong, it is wrong. The motives are not really an issue.
Similarly "domestic violence" is also wrong. If a man goes next door and beats up his neighbor's wife that isnt domestic violence. If he does the same to his own wife it is. That is totally wrong.

Awesome . So you agree that the police in these black lives matter cases should all go to jail for murder ! I knew you'd come around .

"Motives are not really an issue " right ???
Motives, not circumstances. Dumbshit.

Gun Violence Archive

Terrorism is an act of some sort. Who called for not prosecuting crimes?

Wrong . Terrorism is a motive .

Murder is murder.

How can you have different degrees of murder? It's all the same, that's your argument . A dead body = murder = death penalty in every case .

because you have different circumstances. Killing your wife and her lover in a fit of rage when you catch them in the act is Murder 2. Killing them 2 weeks later is Murder 1. Why should a person's hate/not hate mental state come into play?

Murder is murder.

because you have different circumstances. Killing your wife and her lover in a fit of rage when you catch them in the act is Murder 2. Killing them 2 weeks later is Murder 1. Why should a person's hate/not hate mental state come into play?
Thats way too subtle for a simpleton like Timmy to understand.

Murder is murder.

I agree. Murder is murder no matter the reason.

This hate crime bullshit is just that. Bullshit. PC bullshit.

I think the rationale of hate crimes is....problematic. As it tries to glean the thoughts of a person. With someone put in the situation of trying to prove they didn't *think* something. Which is a tad too orwellian for my taste.

In my opinion, the only time motivation should come into play is when determining if someone intended to do something. As intent is significant in determining the severity of a crime.

Forum List

Back