Are Liberals Really More Open-Minded Than Conservatives?

Why yes.....it's in the title. If it's too difficult for you, perhaps the thread about what song you're listening to would be more to your liking.

I've already addressed the title (premise), which is more than the OP did with its parade of unsubstantiated strawmen. And that, for the slow readers, was the point.

I'm sure you satisfy yourself frequently.

With the degree of reading comprehension and ignorance of logic around here, yeah sometimes I have to.

If Aristotle, Socrates and Plato come up with a rule of logic in a forest and no one is around to hear them, is it still logic?

It is.

Now this thread can daughter off the question these posts from you and the Welsher suggest:

"Are Conservatives really more prone to strawmen, ipse dixit and gainsaying that Liberals?"

Discuss.

Go ahead and try. :popcorn:

You didn't catch the instances the first time?

:eusa_hand:

Ok, you got nothing, got it.

"Instances"?? :lol:
Actually those were all strawmen, unlinked, unsubstantiated, unbased. Which was the first thing noted here. So it's the OP that's got nothing. Got it?

Even without that the premise is an attempt to sell a blanket generalization, which is a fool's errand.

Thanks for helping out. :thup:

Human beings being opened minded is an oxymoron. We all have things we are closed minded about.

We have all learned that 1+1=2. We aren't going to be open to the possibility that it really equals 130,456.

Regardless of our political persuasion we should just make it a policy to seek to know the truth. We gather facts to determine the truth to the best of our ability and if we learn new things that challenge what we've learned we need to account for it in the best way possible.

There is nothing inherently more open minded about liberals or conservatives. I highly recommend you stop with the false dichotemies and stereotypes.

Human beings being opened minded is an oxymoron. We all have things we are closed minded about.

We have all learned that 1+1=2. We aren't going to be open to the possibility that it really equals 130,456.

Regardless of our political persuasion we should just make it a policy to seek to know the truth. We gather facts to determine the truth to the best of our ability and if we learn new things that challenge what we've learned we need to account for it in the best way possible.

There is nothing inherently more open minded about liberals or conservatives. I highly recommend you stop with the false dichotemies and stereotypes.

:clap2:

Eggs ACKLEY.

"Don't be so open-minded your brain falls out." Me (inspired by Bill Maher's "Don't be so tolerant you tolerate intolerance."

My answer - no, as in hell no.
Liberals are about appearances. What something appears to be is more important than actually is.
Liberals pretend to be open minded, and have convinced themselves they are. But we all know they are extremely unopen to ANYTHING that is contrary to their beliefs.

ynu6yvy3.jpg

Liberals are not open minded, they are monolithic. Not all, but most are.
When one says something they all say the same thing.
They are the ones who are the most arrogant and closed minded.
I was looking at several liberal message boards yesterday and almost all of them has a forum where no cons were allowed.
They don't ever want to be challenged or want to learn about a different or opposite point of view.
Whenever they are confronted about their ideology, they attack rather than discussing and learning.
You give them facts and they are in total denial and say facts are only opinions.
Liberal Journalist's think that the voices of American's are noise and get in the way of their governing, when the people's voices are against their ideology.

Last edited:
Three posts in a row, just as in the OP full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'll let the Bard fill in the rest.

On a positive spin, good to see you guys are substance-free :thup:

Last edited:

Eggs ACKLEY.

Which Party always caves in to policies of the other Party?
Hint- it is not the Dem's.

Common core education is trying to prove you wrong

Conservatives and liberals are such by choice. That being the case liberals make to choice more often to be closed minded to all they decide is not worthy. Conservatives not so much

Live and let live is more an openminded philosophy attributed to conservatives. It can be applied to liberals as long as you let them call the shots

a

Eggs ACKLEY.

I don't think the question was about political parties. It's about Liberals and Conservatives, and what kind of blanket generalizations of personal traits we can attribute to entire blocs of politics.

Which is damned entertaining to watch you spinmeisters try to actually execute. :lol:

But just to entertain your current question on its face: yes, it is. At the risk of taking the same slippery slope of generalization, the Democratic Party is spineless. That's got a lot to do with why I'm not a member of it.

Last edited:
You didn't catch the instances the first time?

:eusa_hand:

Actually those were all strawmen, unlinked, unsubstantiated, unbased. Which was the first thing noted here. So it's the OP that's got nothing. Got it?

Even without that the premise is an attempt to sell a blanket generalization, which is a fool's errand.

those were all strawmen,
You are of course quite totally wrong.

But that comes as no surprise. None at all.

You are generally devoid of substance. You are one of the pontificating nittwits who imagines that if YOU claim somebody else has engaged in a "straw man" argument, then that "settles" it.

:lmao:

Assholes like you can't even properly define what a straw man argument actually is. You think you know it when you think you see "it," but since you are just an asshole, what you are actually "identifying" is an argument or a fact which you can't handle honestly or logically.

The OP gets it. The OP was generally correct.; YOU have been and you remain wrong. Got it?

Of course not.

Keep flailing though. You amuse me.

Last edited:

Conservatives and liberals are such by choice. That being the case liberals make to choice more often to be closed minded to all they decide is not worthy. Conservatives not so much

Live and let live is more an openminded philosophy attributed to conservatives. It can be applied to liberals as long as you let them call the shots

Actually "Live and let live" is an apt description of Liberalism. Usually expressed as "laissez faire" but the English works just as well. Other than that your post contains nothing but empty rhetoric, like the last several posts and the OP.

Which is, to be fair, all it can contain given the task of proving a blanket generalization.

As I said -- damned entertaining.

:dig:

We revert to the previous corollary: are Conservatives really more prone to blanket stereotypes, ipse dixit, simple gainsaying and strawmen than Liberals?

The thread would seem to suggest that they are. But that's y'all talking, not me.

Eggs ACKLEY.

I don't think the question was about political parties. It's about Liberals and Conservatives, and what kind of blanket generalizations of personal traits we can attribute to entire blocs of politics.

Which is damned entertaining. :eusa_whistle:

Do you actually think that there is conservative representation in the Democratic Party?
That is exactly why I left the party. I like millions of others got tired of trying to fight the liberals in the party for more than 20 years.
Liberals declared in the 90's that there was no conservative Dem's left. Perfect example of being closed minded.

those were all strawmen,

You are of course quite totally wrong.

But that comes as no surprise. None at all.

You are generally devoid of substance. You are one of the pontificating nittwits who imagines that if YOU claim somebody else has engaged in a "straw man" argument, then that "settles" it.

:lmao:

Assholes like you can't even properly define what a straw man argument actually is. You think you know it when you think you see "it," but since you are just an asshole, what you are actually "identifying" is an argument or a fact which you can't handle honestly or logically.

The OP gets it. The OP was generally correct.; YOU have been and you remain wrong. Got it?

Of course not.

Keep flailing though. You amuse me.

Thank you for this reminder. I amend my previous post thusly:

We revert to the previous corollary: are Conservatives really more prone to blanket stereotypes, ipse dixit, simple gainsaying, strawmen and ad hominem than Liberals?

The thread would seem to suggest that they are. But that's y'all talking, not me.

QED.

Those don't look quiiiiiiite like "open minded" traits to me, but I'd still limit that judgement to those here who fuel on them. Attributing such personal failings to an entire political philosophy would be silly.

Last edited:

Which is damned entertaining. :eusa_whistle:

Do you actually think that there is conservative representation in the Democratic Party?
That is exactly why I left the party. I like millions of others got tired of trying to fight the liberals in the party for more than 20 years.
Liberals declared in the 90's that there was no conservative Dem's left. Perfect example of being closed minded.

Of course. There are plenty of conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans. But this thread purports to be about labels of political philosophies. Once again it's not a thread about political parties.

Actually it's a thread about fallacies. It's right there in the title.

Actually "Live and let live" is an apt description of Liberalism. Usually expressed as "laissez faire" but the English works just as well. Other than that your post contains nothing but empty rhetoric, like the last several posts and the OP.

Which is, to be fair, all it can contain given the task of proving a blanket generalization.

As I said -- damned entertaining.

We revert to the previous corollary: are Conservatives really more prone to blanket stereotypes, ipse dixit, simple gainsaying and strawmen than Liberals?

Liberals try to own it but don't live it.

You're a perfect example, thank you ;)

Forum List

Back