Are We Alone?

Why are you dodging the question I asked? I never said anything about there being a "chemical theory". I said there was NO such theory. Yes, unless you have some theory of your own, the fact that there are no more naturally occuring elements to be found IS settled science.

Seriously? Thanks for making it easy.

You really ARE clueless on this subject, aren't you? Why haven't you answered my question? The only thing I've made easy is everybody's realization that you don't understand chemistry or that the laws of nature are consistent throughout the universe.

The laws of nature maybe consistent throughout the universe. On the other hand, somethings we think are laws may not be. The laws of gravity are seen equally here and inside a black hole? Is the universe equal in its distribution of asteroids, quasars or space? All I'm saying is, there may be regions of space where gravity, energy and other factors change things to such an extent you are wrong. That those factors are normal for that region.

I think has been said about 40 times in the history of chemistry. Oops! More elements. There are many areas of the universe that gravity, radiation, and other influences are in what we would consider unnatural states. We don't even know what the universe looks like completely. A bit premature to call it settled science.

I think you need to take a chem course. Got a cite for your "40 times"? If you knew any chem at all, you'd realize what you're proposing is an impossibility in this universe. All the trans-uranium elements are radioactive, many are solely man-made creations with half lives less than a second. No chemical theory I know of predicts any elements beyond those natural or man-made that would be stable.

I see your throwing evolution at the frontiers of the universe out as a possibility, though you hold on to that theory on one little planet. Chemical theory is settled science in your mind. Then why is it still theory?

this has to do with the definition of theory. holding that there aren't any further elements to be discovered relies on konrad's 'stable' qualifier. i would think we could be afforded more certainty from getting up close to a supernova or with better spectral analysis than we have.

Seriously? Thanks for making it easy.

You really ARE clueless on this subject, aren't you? Why haven't you answered my question? The only thing I've made easy is everybody's realization that you don't understand chemistry or that the laws of nature are consistent throughout the universe.

The laws of nature maybe consistent throughout the universe. On the other hand, somethings we think are laws may not be. The laws of gravity are seen equally here and inside a black hole? Is the universe equal in its distribution of asteroids, quasars or space? All I'm saying is, there may be regions of space where gravity, energy and other factors change things to such an extent you are wrong. That those factors are normal for that region.

You still haven't answered the question. What chemical theory do you espouse that would allow for there to be, as yet, undiscovered elements? This isn't about gravity or equal distribution of matter, but the contention that there's a possibility of normal matter (we'll leave out "dark matter" for the moment) that doesn't conform to the chemistry of all the other matter we know. You're dancing around the issue. Please, take it head on.

I think you need to take a chem course. Got a cite for your "40 times"? If you knew any chem at all, you'd realize what you're proposing is an impossibility in this universe. All the trans-uranium elements are radioactive, many are solely man-made creations with half lives less than a second. No chemical theory I know of predicts any elements beyond those natural or man-made that would be stable.

I see your throwing evolution at the frontiers of the universe out as a possibility, though you hold on to that theory on one little planet. Chemical theory is settled science in your mind. Then why is it still theory?

this has to do with the definition of theory. holding that there aren't any further elements to be discovered relies on konrad's 'stable' qualifier. i would think we could be afforded more certainty from getting up close to a supernova or with better spectral analysis than we have.

We're talking natural elements here. All the new elements created in labs have decreasingly small half-lives, so even if something totally new were created in a supernova, they'd be gone before we'd even detect them. That's about the only opening I see, but it's hardly relevant in the real world.

That is the most likely case in my mind too antagon. Although I will not rule out that in a particular environment, those conditions can be met on a continued basis and be sustainable/natural. Expanding konrad's mind has proven a task.

If one is at the beginning, the moment of the big Bang, I wonder if looking at the whole picture outward... the beginning and the end, if it only took 6 days viewing it from this perspective, to create the Earth, and all that evolved and lived on it? :D

There are literally tens of thousands of UFO sighting all throughout history

Adhara Observatory UFO Lunar Transit

Col. Philip J. Corso - The Day After Roswell 1/2 Video

Sure, you can "explain" them all away to your satisfaction, but why fight so hard against the obvious? We've been visited countless times.

The government knows it and needs to keep it secret because they believe people would not be able to handle the truth, well two truths. One is that we're not alone and the second is that the US Government is NOT the most powerful organization in the Universe.

It's the Ego, specifically it's the Ego of the Roman Catholic Church, which ruled Western civilization for 1,000 years, doing the thinking for you. The RCC wanted people to believe that it was the most powerful organization in the Universe suppressing everything to the contrary and we picked up where they left off.

You still haven't answered the question. What chemical theory do you espouse that would allow for there to be, as yet, undiscovered elements? This isn't about gravity or equal distribution of matter, but the contention that there's a possibility of normal matter (we'll leave out "dark matter" for the moment) that doesn't conform to the chemistry of all the other matter we know. You're dancing around the issue. Please, take it head on.

I am trying to get you to think differently here. I don't want to limit you by what I think.

Sure, you can "explain" them all away to your satisfaction, but why fight so hard against the obvious? We've been visited countless times.

The government knows it and needs to keep it secret because they believe people would not be able to handle the truth, well two truths. One is that we're not alone and the second is that the US Government is NOT the most powerful organization in the Universe.

It's the Ego, specifically it's the Ego of the Roman Catholic Church, which ruled Western civilization for 1,000 years, doing the thinking for you. The RCC wanted people to believe that it was the most powerful organization in the Universe suppressing everything to the contrary and we picked up where they left off.

hmmm, you do know that the Roman Catholic church came out in 2008 I think, and said that believing in aliens is not against the church, does not negate God and Christ, don't you?

that's a shocker for me....makes me think that they know or have information that extra terrestrials are visiting us.

Jesuit Father Jose Funes, director of the Vatican's astronomical observatory, said in an interview published Tuesday that believing in alien life doesn't contradict faith in God.

"Just as we consider earthly life as 'a brother' and 'sister,' why should we not talk about an 'extraterrestrial brother?' It would still be part of creation," he said.http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/may/14/catholic-church-faith-in-god-alien-life-ok/

That is the most likely case in my mind too antagon. Although I will not rule out that in a particular environment, those conditions can be met on a continued basis and be sustainable/natural. Expanding konrad's mind has proven a task.

How about expanding your own mind? You're hanging your hat on something nuclear physicists would reject out of hand. How would such a new element survive? The kind of environment you envision would of necessity have to be one of temendous pressures to hold something so unstable together. We know of examples of those extreme pressures and they lead not to new elements, but to a situation where all the protons and electrons are fused to beome neutrons, i.e. the neutron star.

I am trying to get you to think differently here. I don't want to limit you by what I think.

Thanks so much, but I think I'll stick with what my professors taught me and what I've learned since. I still think you're dodging the question. This isn't magic. If there's some other possibility besides what I've stated, please articulate it. You won't be limiting me. I don't think that's possible. You haven't shown the ability to present a cogent argument on the subject, so far.

hmmm, you do know that the Roman Catholic church came out in 2008 I think, and said that believing in aliens is not against the church, does not negate God and Christ, don't you?

that's a shocker for me....makes me think that they know or have information that extra terrestrials are visiting us.

Jesuit Father Jose Funes, director of the Vatican's astronomical observatory, said in an interview published Tuesday that believing in alien life doesn't contradict faith in God.

"Just as we consider earthly life as 'a brother' and 'sister,' why should we not talk about an 'extraterrestrial brother?' It would still be part of creation," he said.Catholic church: Faith in God, alien life OK Abilene Reporter-News

The Vatican and the Smithsonian can convinced me they're sincere as soon as they start being honest about whats in their vaults and sharing it with us.

Thanks so much, but I think I'll stick with what my professors taught me and what I've learned since. I still think you're dodging the question. This isn't magic. If there's some other possibility besides what I've stated, please articulate it. You won't be limiting me. I don't think that's possible. You haven't shown the ability to present a cogent argument on the subject, so far.

Self limited by choice huh konrad? The Sun moves in the sky, so I must be the center. We have met your kind before. Sadly, it won't be the last time.

"Just as we consider earthly life as 'a brother' and 'sister,' why should we not talk about an 'extraterrestrial brother?' It would still be part of creation," he said.Catholic church: Faith in God, alien life OK Abilene Reporter-News

The Vatican and the Smithsonian can convinced me they're sincere as soon as they start being honest about whats in their vaults and sharing it with us.

What do you think is in their vaults that they are hiding from us?

A true scientist would know that Argon is an inert element, a fact that's true here and on the furthest galaxy. Sulfide has been mentioned as an alternate source and that's true, but look at the periodic table, it's right below Oxygen, so it's a no-brainer. Argon, on the other hand is all the way to the right with Helium, Neon, Krypton, Xenon and Radon, the other inert gases.

So let me get this straight. You think that because a gas is inert it has no function? Correct? A Noble gas being inert can do nothing? Correct? Can't be a part of a living thing, can't help influence evolution etc.? Correct?

I say they can't be used as a gas to support life. They're non-reactive in normal chemical processes. They can be used in things like flourecscent bulbs, but they do not change. For a gas to be usable the way we use oxygen, there has to be the possibility of a chemical change. The few compounds that have been made with the nobvle gases are inherently unstable and curiosities in the chemical world, nothing more.
AS WE KNOW IT

i would agree
but there is SO much we DON'T know
look at the life on the volcanic vents, before it was discovered, they didnt believe anything could live there

that the moon is hollow :eusa_whistle:

The true history of human civilization for one.

Forum List

Back