Are you fasting?

gipper

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2011
I do and I find it works for me.

The Benefits Of Fasting
Science can now explain why low calorie diets are more healthy and intermittent fasting (eating every 16hrs) can lead to longevity.

A simple way to do this is to not eat 4 hrs after waking up, but rehydrate with lots of water as soon as you get up, and not eat 4hrs before you go to bed. As most people sleep on average 8 hrs, this will give your 16 hr fast. This is the routine I like to do as it is easiest to manage and I find has the most immediate results that you will feel on a daily basis.

What Happens To Your Body When You Don’t Eat For 16 Hours
Capture19.jpg

The Benefits Of Fasting - The Renegade Pharmacist

The Benefits Of Fasting
Science can now explain why low calorie diets are more healthy and intermittent fasting (eating every 16hrs) can lead to longevity.

A simple way to do this is to not eat 4 hrs after waking up, but rehydrate with lots of water as soon as you get up, and not eat 4hrs before you go to bed. As most people sleep on average 8 hrs, this will give your 16 hr fast. This is the routine I like to do as it is easiest to manage and I find has the most immediate results that you will feel on a daily basis.

Capture19.jpg

I am anything but a health expert. But focusing on some Catholic teaching they cannot say enough about the benefits of fasting. It is even a model for killing cancer cells.
But the prime reason for fasting is to sacrifice along with prayer and that is strongly encouraged. So the graces and benefits are many, if one can find a routine to fast regularly.

I cannot find the article I wanted, but here is a recent one on it. The Many Health Benefits of Fasting - DrAxe.com

Last edited:

The Benefits Of Fasting

Capture19.jpg

I am anything but a health expert. But focusing on some Catholic teaching they cannot say enough about the benefits of fasting. It is even a model for killing cancer cells.
But the prime reason for fasting is to sacrifice along with prayer and that is strongly encouraged. So the graces and benefits are many, if one can find a routine to fast regularly.

I cannot find the article I wanted, but here is a recent one on it. How Fasting Kills the Flesh and Opens the Door for the Holy Spirit
I tend to only think about fasting during Lent or on Tuesdays and Fridays because the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary are offered on those days. Thanks for the reminder, Turzovka.

Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

The Benefits Of Fasting

Capture19.jpg

This is very interesting. For the past several years I've been eating like this most days because I tend to be hungry only in the middle of the day. I'm been feeling pretty good eating this way. More water in the morning is a good idea I will add to my routine.

I just read to fast for 12 hours. Have a big breakfast then a light dinner. That seems to make sense to me for anyone who has to go to work in the morning. But most mornings I go to work I don't take the time to eat breakfast.

As Orthodox Christians, we fast 4 times a year (including 7 weeks of lent) and every Wednesday and Friday. (all together half a year). During fasting we don't eat any meat, eggs and dairy and only eat fish very rarely and on specially allowed days.

I tried my first fasting in 1999. During 7 weeks I lost (not intentionally!) over 20 pounds and started looking like a model. And I was not starved. The food, allowed during fasting, cleans your body by itself and thus you get rid of a lot of internal garbage. So, you please God and please your body at the same time. Human soul needs to live in a beautiful cathedral (your body) and that what fasting helps you with.

Fasting is a lot of work of your soul and your hands (I always cook more during fasting), but it certainly worth it. BTW, all the stomach, cholesterol and blood pressure problems go away too.

Last edited:
I just read to fast for 12 hours. Have a big breakfast then a light dinner. That seems to make sense to me for anyone who has to go to work in the morning. But most mornings I go to work I don't take the time to eat breakfast.
I have been doing a roughly 16 hour fast for years now, but not really thinking it a healthy regimen. Since I gave up grains and sugar about 10 years ago, I am generally not hungry until around noon. I do drink coffee and water throughout the morning. It does seem to give me plenty of energy and I feel good.

Last edited:
As Orthodox Christians, we fast 4 times a year (including 7 weeks of lent) and every Wednesday and Friday. (all together half a year). During fasting we don't eat any meat, eggs and dairy and only eat fish very rarely and on specially allowed days.

I tried my first fasting in 1999. During 7 weeks I lost (not intentionally!) over 20 pounds and started looking like a model. And I was not starved. The food, allowed during fasting, cleans your body by itself and thus you get rid of a lot of internal garbage. So, you please God and please your body at the same time. Human soul needs to live in a beautiful cathedral (your body) and that what fasting helps you with.

Fasting is a lot of work of your soul and your hands (I always cook more during fasting), but it certainly worth it. BTW, all the stomach, cholesterol and blood pressure problems go away too.
My father in-law is a devout Catholic and is 96 years old. He has fasted all his life...both for spiritual reasons and it is a regimen he prefers. He is in good health and takes no medications. He can't hear and is forgetful, but hey he is 96. He generally does not eat until around 10am and stops around 3pm.

We tell him long fasts at his age are dangerous, but to no avail. This past Easter he fasted from Good Friday until afternoon on Easter. He had the look of a dead person, but after eating our Easter feast, he perked right up. Truly amazing.

My father in-law is a devout Catholic and is 96 years old. He has fasted all his life...both for spiritual reasons and it is a regimen he prefers. He is in good health and takes no medications. He can't hear and is forgetful, but hey he is 96. He generally does not eat until around 10am and stops around 3pm.

We tell him long fasts at his age are dangerous, but to no avail. This past Easter he fasted from Good Friday until afternoon on Easter. He had the look of a dead person, but after eating our Easter feast, he perked right up. Truly amazing.

Bless his heart! I wish him to live another 96 years and feel good.

The Benefits Of Fasting

Capture19.jpg

I only fast once each year but then it is for 3 days from Holy Thursday to Easter Sunday.

To fast for 3 days you need to drink salted water or else after 36 hours your muscles start to violently cramp on you.

Make sure he gets his electrolytes.

Either salted water or Gatorade.

You should never go longer than 3 to 6 hours without water -- not for any reason.

After 12 hours you need electrolytes.

Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Here is what it really says, FYI since you love this passage in scripture apparently so much:

"... Not on bread only shall be living a human but on every declaration out of the mouth of God."

In Greek: Oyk ep apto mono zeesetai Anthropos all epi panti reemanti ekporeuomeno dia stomatos Theou.

I normally do not quote Catholic Latin simply because St. Gerome retranslated the Greek into Latin and in the process changed it a lot.

For example, in Greek, Mary is called Mother Of Christ.

In Latin she is called Mother of God.

Mother of God is a huge mistranslation.

Jesus is called the Son Of God.

Mary is definitely NOT the Mother Of God or else she would be Jesus' GRANDMOTHER.

Last edited:

The Benefits Of Fasting

Capture19.jpg

This is very interesting. For the past several years I've been eating like this most days because I tend to be hungry only in the middle of the day. I'm been feeling pretty good eating this way. More water in the morning is a good idea I will add to my routine.
I never get hungry before noon.

And I am too tired to eat in the evening after work.

So lunch is my main meal.

Breakfast is coffee with milk in it.

Dinner is soup and salad.

I don't normally drink water except during my annual fasts. Water is for baptism.

I drink coffee in the mornings and iced tea for lunch and hot tea in the afternoons and beers for dinner.

:D

Here is what it really says, FYI since you love this passage in scripture apparently so much:

"... Not on bread only shall be living a human but on every declaration out of the mouth of God."

In Greek: Oyk ep apto mono zeesetai Anthropos all epi panti reemanti ekporeuomeno dia stomatos Theou.
Thanks for sharing. In my Catholic Bible Matthew 4:4 reads as I typed it. The message is the same in your preferred translation - whether you love the passage or not.

When farmers used to farm farms, this is how they ate.

Breakfast was a big feast of ham and eggs and biscuits and gravy and bacon and cheese and butter.

Then you can work a tractor for 9 hours before you get hungry again.

If I ate that much at breakfast I would fall asleep at my desk at work.

Thanks for sharing. In my Catholic Bible Matthew 4:4 reads as I typed it. The message is the same in your preferred translation - whether you love the passage or not.
I have a Douay Rheims too ... you just need to be aware of the limitations of the Latin Vulgate.

Forum List

Back