Arizona execution goes terribly wrong

The execution did not go wrong. It ended with the desired result. It just took a bit longer.

Bring back the firing squad or hanging. Quick and cheap.

Why not the Guillotine? Makes everyone happy.

It's quick but still fulfills the bloodlust of the folks who just want to kill someone.

No it fulfills justice who's lives they took mercilessly.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

I'm sure his victims died quite comfortably. :thup:

Doesn't matter. We have a constitutional right to protect us against cruel and unusual punishment from the government. A two hour execution is cruel and unusual.

Yes, imitating those condemned to die for heinous crimes isn't part of our justice system.

The intent was quickly and painlessly. Sometimes things go wrong. That is the government that we have, that is human error. It wasn't intentional.

The Chinese Solution might work...

One appeal... severely curtailed time frame, after which...

A bullet to the back of the head, at some rural roadside ditch...

A shallow, unmarked grave, and an invoice to the criminal's family, billing them for the jail-space rental, the bullet, the executioner's time, gas-and-oil and mileage to get out to that rural ditch, and, of course, the coffin...

Yes, let's be like communist China, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.
Let's resume flogging people as well...not just males though, as that would be sexist.
'Barbie' would have to be whip-flogged and/or cane-flogged for her crime/s...death penalty if she smuggled some drugs for love, to escape poverty etc or any other reason.

Your 21 yr old kids make a mistake with drugs, smuggle some, in a moment of weakness and misguided thinking....and it'd be off to death row for the firing squad or noose killing by the state in all those countries.

The firing squad is effective;

'Mandy Engels' and her 'mentally-challenged brother' meet their fate for drug smuggling in the movie 'The Bangkok Hilton';

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c3WIL4JSAU [/ame]

There is nothing "civilized" or "humane" about punishing the innocent for the crimes of the guilty which is exactly what we are doing when we demand that taxpayers reward criminals by supporting them in comfort for the rest of their lives.
If the bleeding hearts wish to provide for scumbags let them do so with their own money and leave mine alone. There are plenty of poor but honest Americans that should come first. Criminals deserve punishment not coddling. Victims and/or their families deserve justice done not being insulted by rewarding the perpetrators instead.

You know what, guy. You make Prison sound like it's a luxury resort.

"Comfort"? "Coddling" Really? Having your every motion controlled, being subjected to constant assaults. You and every other smack-talking conservative wouldn't last a week in a prison. Prisons are horrible places, and no one wants to go there.

Now that said, I don't want my tax dollars wasted having a few murder pagents to satisfy the bloodlust of people like you.

Finally, a rational argument against the death penalty. Congratulations.

It does beg the question why you trust them with the health of every citizen in America though, but intellectual consistency is another step. On the other hand, I will enjoy using this against you the next time you try to defend Obamacare.

Well come back after your doctor gives you your anti-Crazy pills for this week, and I'll explain it to you.

I already understand cognitive dissonance, it is the ability for human beings to hold two conflicting opinions at the same time. Fortunately, I outgrew it, which is why I don't trust the government enough to let them kill people, or to give them power over medical decisions.

I'm sure after you get the red ones, you are able to dissonance anything.

Logical consistancy. The government already runs health care for one third of our citizens. In other countries, they do the same. It's a collaborative process that included health care professionals. So, no, I don't worry about the "government" running health care.

If you are, no doubt, you can line your hat with tin-foil and take care of the problem.

Yes, let's be like communist China...execution-homicide thousands of human beings in death chambers every 52 weeks.
"Kill, kill"!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdyJZEyYQ6s [/ame]

I have a better idea...America stops with the barbaric, premeditated, cold-blooded killing of human beings in death chambers...and joins the countries of the world that have become civilised and abolished such barbaric penalties.

I have a better idea...America stops with the barbaric, premeditated, cold-blooded killing of human beings in death chambers...and joins the countries of the world that have become civilised and abolished such barbaric penalties.

Those countries don't have a 2nd Amendment. Willing to give it up in order to abolish the death penalty?

Those countries don't have a 2nd Amendment. Willing to give it up in order to abolish the death penalty?

If I were an American, and the Constitution told me to wash my hair in sump oil...I would not do it.
The death penalty can be abolished without touching the Constitution.

New Mexico state did it;

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/dea...o-governor-says-repeal-will-make-state-safer

Death Penalty Abolished in New Mexico--Governor Says Repeal Will Make the State Safer

Governor Bill Richardson signed the bill abolishing the death penalty in New Mexico on March 18. New Mexico now becomes the 15th state to abandon capital punishment and the 3rd in the last 2 years, following recent actions in New Jersey and New York in 2007.

The new law substitutes the punishment of life without parole for the death penalty in future cases. In a statement, Gov. Richardson cited the 130 inmates freed from death row since 1973 and added, "The sad truth is the wrong person can still be convicted in this day and age, and in cases where that conviction carries with it the ultimate sanction, we must have ultimate confidence, I would say certitude, that the system is without flaw or prejudice. Unfortunately, this is demonstrably not the case."

Many family members of murder victims applauded the repeal: “This is recognition of the false promise that the death penalty offered, and a realization of how murder victims’ family members’ needs can truly be served,” said Lorry Post, Executive Director of Murder Victims’ Families for Reconciliation (MVFR). Cathy Ansheles of Santa Fe and a member of MVFR, reacted to the bill’s passage, “It’s a great relief to know that families will no longer be put through the turmoil of the death penalty. Finally, resources can be directed to where they will really do the most good.”

#####

No Harvard degree needed for this one either.

Last edited:

If I were an American, and the Constitution told me to wash my hair in sump oil...I would not do it.

New Mexico state did it;

Death Penalty Abolished in New Mexico--Governor Says Repeal Will Make the State Safer | Death Penalty Information Center

Death Penalty Abolished in New Mexico--Governor Says Repeal Will Make the State Safer

Governor Bill Richardson signed the bill abolishing the death penalty in New Mexico on March 18. New Mexico now becomes the 15th state to abandon capital punishment and the 3rd in the last 2 years, following recent actions in New Jersey and New York in 2007.

The new law substitutes the punishment of life without parole for the death penalty in future cases. In a statement, Gov. Richardson cited the 130 inmates freed from death row since 1973 and added, "The sad truth is the wrong person can still be convicted in this day and age, and in cases where that conviction carries with it the ultimate sanction, we must have ultimate confidence, I would say certitude, that the system is without flaw or prejudice. Unfortunately, this is demonstrably not the case."

Many family members of murder victims applauded the repeal: “This is recognition of the false promise that the death penalty offered, and a realization of how murder victims’ family members’ needs can truly be served,” said Lorry Post, Executive Director of Murder Victims’ Families for Reconciliation (MVFR). Cathy Ansheles of Santa Fe and a member of MVFR, reacted to the bill’s passage, “It’s a great relief to know that families will no longer be put through the turmoil of the death penalty. Finally, resources can be directed to where they will really do the most good.”

#####

Point you missed was countries without a death penalty don't have a lot of crazy people with guns running amok. We do, so occasionally it's in society's best interest to execute them. If we didn't have the 2nd and lots of guns, some of which end up in bad people's hands to do bad things, society would be much safer and we wouldn't need a death penalty to act as a deterrent.

You might want to reread that Constitution. It clearly says cruel AND unusual. That recognizes that the method of death may indeed be cruel. It may be unusual. It cannot be both.

That disqualified the death penalty then. It is cruel, especially pumping a man full of drugs that take two hours to kill him because drug companies won't supply quality pharmaceuticals. and it is unusual in that only a fraction of murderers get the death penalty, and only a fraction of those are actually executed.

The reason why it takes more money to execute someone than to lock them up for the rest of their lives is because those who receive the death penalty ARE locked up for the rest of their lives. They aren't executed. If the comparison was made between someone who is locked up for a life sentence and someone who dies of natural causes on death row, the expenses would be just about the same. Joseph Wood was sentenced in 1989. Every dime spent on his care since that date is a waste of money. Had he been executed in 1989, the state would have saved millions.

And if Rolando Cruz had been executed in 1986, think of all the money the government would have saved.

Except that Rolando Cruz was completely innocent. He didn't kill anyone.

You see, the problem you guys have is that we have to have so many safeguards to make sure that we aren't executing the wrong guys. That's why it takes 26 years to get to an execution.

Except he was not innocent. Not only was he a known, and self proclaimed gang member, he also made up a completely fabricated story to claim the $10K reward for information on the murdered girl.

There was nothing 'innocent' about the man. Quite frankly, he deserves life in prison, just on the basis of trying to use a murdered girl for his own profit.

Here's the difference between me and you.

You are a hypocrite. You say it is better to never exact punishment, than to accidentally punish the wrong person.

Yet you would have no problem putting someone in prison for 50 years, even if they were innocent.

We know when I say "what do we do with murderers then?" You say life in prison. And what if that person is innocent? Well that's ok.

My view is, we should spend more time making the legal system as accurate as possible, and less time denying justice and punishment, in the name of "well it could be the wrong man".

First, I'm not talking about zapping every single person who is accused of murder. I'm not. I'm talking about people like Woods. 3 different people saw him shoot and kill his victims. The police caught him with the gun in his hand.

There is absolutely no possible way that this guy didn't murder those people.

That guy should have been given a shovel as he left the court room, and had him start digging his own grave, the same day.

Second, instead of making sure no criminal actually pays for his own crime, how about we make sure prosecutors and witness DO pay for their crime?

Here's a simple thought. If a prosecutor knowingly tries to convict a man they know is innocent, by concealing evidence, or witness statements, how about we have the prosecutor serve the time he was trying to make the innocent man serve?

How about witnesses that intentionally lie in order to frame an innocent person, be given the sentence the other person would have served?

Think that my clean up injustice? Yeah, I bet. You won't have to worry so much about the wrong guy being convicted nearly as much.

But again, I know you people. You don't give a crap about innocent people. You just want to pretend you have some moral high ground, by protecting those who break the law. That's all there is too it. That's why you don't focus on punishing false witnessing, or corrupt prosecutors. No no, your big thing is "we can't punish murderers". Sick.

Last edited:
This could lead to the abolition of executions.

Arizona Execution of Joseph Wood Took Nearly Two Hours - NBC News

An Arizona execution took nearly two hours on Wednesday, and witnesses said he gasped and snorted for well over an hour.

The execution of double-murderer Joseph Wood — which Arizona carried out with a lethal-injection it had never before tried — is certain to fan the debate over how U.S. states carry out the death penalty.

"I've never witnessed an execution that took that long," defense lawyer Dale Baich told NBC News. "The state of Arizona today conducted a failed experiment....It was horrible to watch."
[Video]

Double murderer? He got better than he deserved.

The Chinese Solution might work...

One appeal... severely curtailed time frame, after which...

A bullet to the back of the head, at some rural roadside ditch...

A shallow, unmarked grave, and an invoice to the criminal's family, billing them for the jail-space rental, the bullet, the executioner's time, gas-and-oil and mileage to get out to that rural ditch, and, of course, the coffin...

Yes, let's be like communist China, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc...

Oh, my, my, my...

I don't think you liked my tongue-in-cheek praise of the Chinese Method..

Consider it a metaphor for "It could be a whole lot worse, here, and it could be a whole a lot more efficient and less costly, given fewer appeals."

But I DO enjoy the emotion-laden hyper-reactions that such remarks draw, from the Bleeding Heart Liberal Wear-Your-Emotions-on-Your-Sleeve crowd.

Soooooo much passion, on behalf of those who do murder. Talk about screwed-up priorities.

...Let's resume flogging people as well...not just males though, as that would be sexist. 'Barbie' would have to be whip-flogged and/or cane-flogged for her crime/s... death penalty if she smuggled some drugs for love, to escape poverty etc or any other reason...
"Now hear this... now hear this... all hands... stand by to repel Drame Queens, portside !!!"

Puh-leeze.
75_75.gif

...Your 21 yr old kids make a mistake with drugs, smuggle some, in a moment of weakness and misguided thinking....and it'd be off to death row...
Hey... take a life, you forfeit your own.

That's not a 'mistake'.

It is 'murder'.

Trying to portray it as less than what it is, is a despicable exercise in moral relativism, and there is far too much of that at-work in the world today as it is.

Good exists. As does Evil. And Murder definitely falls into the highest of all egregious categorizations of Evil. If you have attained your majority, and you kill, you forfeit your life.

...for the firing squad or noose killing by the state in all those countries. The firing squad is effective...
The methodology isn't terribly important... details, details, details...

...'Mandy Engels' and her 'mentally-challenged brother' meet their fate for drug smuggling in the movie 'The Bangkok Hilton'...
What is the point that you are trying to make, to people who have not seen this movie?

Doesn't matter. We have a constitutional right to protect us against cruel and unusual punishment from the government. A two hour execution is cruel and unusual.

Yes, imitating those condemned to die for heinous crimes isn't part of our justice system.

The intent was quickly and painlessly. Sometimes things go wrong. That is the government that we have, that is human error. It wasn't intentional.

All the same, some pussy judge somewhere is going to lamely call this 'cruel and unusual punishment.'

New Mexico state did it;

Death Penalty Abolished in New Mexico--Governor Says Repeal Will Make the State Safer | Death Penalty Information Center

#####

Point you missed was countries without a death penalty don't have a lot of crazy people with guns running amok. We do, so occasionally it's in society's best interest to execute them. If we didn't have the 2nd and lots of guns, some of which end up in bad people's hands to do bad things, society would be much safer and we wouldn't need a death penalty to act as a deterrent.

Um... no, don't think so. Every country that implemented gun control, has seen a direct increase in gun crime.

Guns are not so hard to make. Criminal would still get them, even without a 2nd amendment right.

New Mexico state did it;

#####

Um... no, don't think so. Every country that implemented gun control, has seen a direct increase in gun crime.

Guns are not so hard to make. Criminal would still get them, even without a 2nd amendment right.

Japan has it nearly impossible to own a firearm. And consequently no death penalty. Nor more importantly, no huge problem with violent crime either.

2011-2014, number of gun-related murders in Japan: 47. Number in the US: 9,369

Japan vs United States Crime Stats Compared

I love this particular argument when it surfaces.

Look at the EU... look at the UK and most of its Commonwealth.

All oh-so-civilized, and oh-so-superior to you, America, because they abolished the Death Penalty.

And, because they have done so, they are the Good Guys, and you, America, are the Bad Guys.

Horseshit.

The Europeans (including the UK, and most of its Commonwealth) have dragged the entire world into global war, twice, within the past century, once within Living Memory.

The Europeans bled themselves white, for two generations, in a Thirty Years War II, that just ended within Living Memory.

The Europeans set up camps and mechanisms and law and logistics to exterminate millions of their neighbors, within Living Memory.

The Europeans brutalized much of the world and held it in Imperial thrall for centuries, until their second round of generation-bleeding in the 1940s triggered bankruptcy and the collapse of their Empires, within Living Memory.

In many cases, they had to be kicked out of some of their Imperial holdings, despite their weakened and bankrupt condition, within Living Memory.

Most European countries were still hanging people and shooting them and cutting off their heads until the 1960s and 1970s, well within Living Memory.

And, now, in their weakened condition, having gotten soft, living under the American Shield for the past 60-70 years, they now claim the moral high ground and moral superiority, because they lost the backbone to execute the murderers amongst them?

Like I said...

Horseshit.

Forum List

Back