As a Jew this is hard for me to explain

You people believe they discussed the big bang? Seriously? No. The point of Genesis 1 is the origin of existence. The origin of the natural world. It's no wonder why so many Jews are atheists. You guys are missing the main point. Instead you want to argue of semantics.
There are Jewish commentators, not to mention Talmudic explanations that the universe started off from a tiny spec and expanded.
You are proving my point that it is an allegorical account of creation because that's not exactly what Genesis says.
How do you know?
Creation is described in Tehillim and Prophets also.
No prophet prophesized what Moshe did not hear from God; it’s our job to find it.
Written and recorded later, right?
What’s the difference between written and recorded?

s-l1000.jpg

Are we ready to move on?
It seems as though you are about to skip 100 verses; can’t do that.
1:2...take it away...
Feel free to discuss the steps I am skipping and how they aren't discussing the creation of the material world.

Because from where I am sitting there is nothing I am skipping that isn't about the creation of the material world.

What am I missing?
God preparing the world, one step at a time, for man to inhabit it.
Just as man must prepare younger people step by step.

You people believe they discussed the big bang? Seriously? No. The point of Genesis 1 is the origin of existence. The origin of the natural world. It's no wonder why so many Jews are atheists. You guys are missing the main point. Instead you want to argue of semantics.
There are Jewish commentators, not to mention Talmudic explanations that the universe started off from a tiny spec and expanded.
You are proving my point that it is an allegorical account of creation because that's not exactly what Genesis says.
How do you know?
No prophet prophesized what Moshe did not hear from God; it’s our job to find it.
Good question. It's my contention that the first eleven chapters of the Torah were not written by Moses. They were recorded by Moses. In other words, these accounts had been passed down orally for thousands of years.

So when I write written, I am referencing something that wasn't passed down orally for thousands of years. That it was actually a later revelation.

Comments?

How do you know?
Good question. It's my contention that the first eleven chapters of the Torah were not written by Moses. They were recorded by Moses. In other words, these accounts had been passed down orally for thousands of years.

So when I write written, I am referencing something that wasn't passed down orally for thousands of years. That it was actually a later revelation.

Comments?
They were dictated by God to Moshe because until the Children of Israel accepted the Torah at Mount Sinai, no other nation was worthy of receiving the Blueprint of Creation.
Why would God give His Torah (Enlightenment) to people who wouldn’t obey Him?

Are we ready to move on?
Feel free to discuss the steps I am skipping and how they aren't discussing the creation of the material world.

Because from where I am sitting there is nothing I am skipping that isn't about the creation of the material world.

What am I missing?
Yes, Creation was created ins steps so to speak through the laws of nature.

Yes, just like we need to prepare the next generation. Which is why I said the purpose of the accounts is to pass down important information and knowledge. Which also explains why the accounts are written the way they are. In story fashion so as to make them easier to remember and pass down.

How do you know?

Comments?
They were dictated by God to Moshe because until the Children of Israel accepted the Torah at Mount Sinai, no other nation was worthy of receiving the Blueprint of Creation.
No. They weren't. They were accounts that were passed down from generation to generation. And it wasn't the Torah. It was the first eleven chapters of the Torah.

Are we ready to move on?

What am I missing?

Yes, just like we need to prepare the next generation. Which is why I said the purpose of the accounts is to pass down important information and knowledge. Which also explains why the accounts are written the way they are. In story fashion so as to make them easier to remember and pass down.
B’raishis tells the moral tale of the family that recognized and obeyed God until the family expanded into a nation.
Many laws in the Torah require mass numbers of people to observe.
You realize this conversation we are having is in the English edition of the Artscroll B’reishis.
I thought you spent time on Torah.org.

How do you know?
Dictated by the mouth of God; is that a problem?
I don't believe so.

Are we ready to move on?

What am I missing?

B’raishis tells the moral tale of the family that recognized and obeyed God until the family expanded into a nation.
You realize this conversation we are having is in the English edition of the Artscroll B’reishis.
We are discussing Chapter 1 of the Torah. Not the entire Torah. My contention is that the first eleven chapters were passed down orally for thousands of years before being recorded by Moses. Discussing anything after the first eleven chapters is irrelevant to this point.

How do you know?

Comments?
No. They weren't. They were accounts that were passed down from generation to generation. And it wasn't the Torah. It was the first eleven chapters of the Torah.
It wasn’t the Torah until Matan Torah.

Comments?
Doesn't matter. Not material to my point.

What am I missing?

We are discussing Chapter 1 of the Torah. Not the entire Torah. My contention is that the first eleven chapters were passed down orally for thousands of years before being recorded by Moses. Discussing anything after the first eleven chapters is irrelevant to this point.
Your contention is incorrect.
The Torah contains God’s revelation of the development of the people of the world, not the impressions of the earlier generations.

Comments?
Doesn't matter. Not material to my point.
Very material.
I think you don’t understand the Torah is existence, not the story of existence.

What am I missing?

Your contention is that Genesis is not Devine truth.

Forum List

Back