Assassinating American Citizens ... for or against?

Are you in favor of America's policy of assassinating its citizens?

• Yes

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
Amelia,

So you are saying we have to wait for a terrorist to come to this country, as in 'an immediate threat such as transporting explosives into our country" before we can do something. So as long as someone stays overseas they can plan terrorist actions, recruit terrorists that they will then send to this country in their stead, they can teach people how to build bombs, they can provide funds, papers, resources, safe houses, etc. - and there is not going to be anything we can do?

The lives are uncountable that can be saved by being able to target a General then by waiting for a Private. Privates are canon fodder, Generals are the brains and the resource provider.

>>>>

No, that is not what I am saying. I am saying that they had plenty of time to indict him and get a conviction. And they should have sought it.

No more lives were saved by killing him last week without due process than would have been saved by killing him last week with due process.

There would have been nothing wrong with killing him in a normal military maneuver if events on the ground dictated it. But that could have been done without putting him specifically on a kill list.

What you said was, and I quote "an immediate threat such as transporting explosives into our country".

There is no need for an indictment during times of war for enemy combatants, whether they be US Citizens or not when they are acting as the head (or operative) an an organization that has declared war on us.

>>>>

Yes I said, "such as" and gave one example. You gave an overgeneralization which amounted to a misrepresentation of my position. I corrected the overgeneralization.

And I continue to disagree with your position. U.S. citizens have special rights under the constitution. It is too dangerous to let one man determine which citizens don't deserve the rights anymore without those citizens being invited to defend themselves against the decision.

Amelia,

So you are saying we have to wait for a terrorist to come to this country, as in 'an immediate threat such as transporting explosives into our country" before we can do something. So as long as someone stays overseas they can plan terrorist actions, recruit terrorists that they will then send to this country in their stead, they can teach people how to build bombs, they can provide funds, papers, resources, safe houses, etc. - and there is not going to be anything we can do?

The lives are uncountable that can be saved by being able to target a General then by waiting for a Private. Privates are canon fodder, Generals are the brains and the resource provider.

>>>>

A non American terrorist does not have the U.S. Constitution An American terrorist does. Let's keep the two seperate.

Not need to keep them separate when Constitutional requirements are met such an Congress authorizing the use of military force under Article I Section 8 of the United States Constitution which they did under their "Authorization for use of Military Force" issued on September 18, 2001 which authorized the President of the United States to act with "all necessary force" against terrorist organizations.

>>>>

If one part of the constitution is no good then non of the Constitution is no good, you can't have it both ways. And the Superme Court already ruled hat even though an American citizen has been deemed a enemy combatant they still have due process of the law.

As I said all you've got is hypothetical la la land... The rules of engagement have not changed from what they've always been... WHY didn't he turn himself in once the court threw out his father's attempt to protect him? Instead HE CHOSE to stay in harms way and continue with his violent rhetoric... He was counting on dopes like you all to further undermine America and pretend we are doomed to go after innocents. You all would sooner believe THAT lie than a man who openly ADMITTED to intentions of killing innocents. :cuckoo:

Rules of engagement my ass! You don't even use terms correctly. You have no clue what you are even parroting. The SCOTUS has consistently held that terrorists are criminals. And that they are entitled to due process. Where is the law that says 'violent rhetoric' is a capital offense? Miss know it all! :lmao:

:rolleyes: I'm not parroting anything...

I'm sure YOU know it all so much better than all the top legal scholars... :doubt:
Kenneth Anderson, an international law scholar at American University's Washington College of Law, said U.S. citizens who take up arms with an enemy force have been considered legitimate targets through two world wars, even if they are outside what is traditionally considered the battlefield.

"Where hostiles go, there is the possibility of hostilities. The U.S. has never accepted the proposition that if you leave the active battlefield, suddenly you are no longer targetable," Anderson said.

In early 2010, the director of national intelligence, Dennis Blair, told a congressional hearing that the U.S. was prepared to kill Americans affiliated with al-Qaida, without mentioning al-Awlaki by name.

"If we think that direct action will involve killing an American, we get specific permission to do that," by which he meant authority from the executive branch, not the courts.

Blair said the military and intelligence agencies had authority to kill U.S. citizens abroad who were engaged in terrorism if their activities threatened Americans. Since then, U.S. officials have said that al-Awlaki's role in al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) had shifted from propagandist to operational tactician and strategist.

The State Department's senior legal adviser, Harold Koh, plainly stated last year the Obama administration's view that it had authority to undertake drone attacks in countries where al-Qaida operatives were located.

Open Channel - Can U.S. legally kill a citizen overseas without due process?

AHhhh, but you leave out the numerous top legal scholars who do not agree with that. And they are right there in YOUR article. How about a little acaemnic honesty for a change.

No, according to the laws of our land there was actionable intelligence that al-Awlaki was orchestrating Jihad against innocent American citizens and an executive order was carried out which brought him lawfully to his death. He died by the violence HE chose to engage in.

Prove it.

Post these laws which directly contradict the 5th ammendment.

No, YOU need to prove the US Government abused it's authority by killing a KNOWN terrorist leader who was KNOWN to preach Jihad against the USA.

Translation: You don't have a clue what you are talking about! But then we knew that!

No, that is not what I am saying. I am saying that they had plenty of time to indict him and get a conviction. And they should have sought it.

No more lives were saved by killing him last week without due process than would have been saved by killing him last week with due process.

There would have been nothing wrong with killing him in a normal military maneuver if events on the ground dictated it. But that could have been done without putting him specifically on a kill list.

What you said was, and I quote "an immediate threat such as transporting explosives into our country".

There is no need for an indictment during times of war for enemy combatants, whether they be US Citizens or not when they are acting as the head (or operative) an an organization that has declared war on us.

>>>>

Yes I said, "such as" and gave one example. You gave an overgeneralization which amounted to a misrepresentation of my position. I corrected the overgeneralization.

And I continue to disagree with your position. U.S. citizens have special rights under the constitution. It is too dangerous to let one man determine which citizens don't deserve the rights anymore without those citizens being invited to defend themselves against the decision.

And yet the Constitution contains the very authorization for Congress to authorize the use of the Military against it's citizen when they are in a state of insurrection (i.e. revolt). When you are a citizen in a state of insurrection and commit acts of war against the United States, then you are no longer eligible for due process and it's protections which apply protections under criminal prosecution.

>>>>

>>>>

And yet the Constitution contains the very authorization for Congress to authorize the use of the Military against it's citizen when they are in a state of insurrection (i.e. revolt). When you are a citizen in a state of insurrection and commit acts of war against the United States, then you are no longer eligible for due process and it's protections which apply protections under criminal prosecution.

>>>>

When was martial law envoked? Or the suspension of habeas corpus

Congress can authorize war against another nation, not make hit lists to kill people that are US citizens from

Article I Section 8 specifically empowers Congress to authorize use of the military in cases of insurrection. Insurrection does not occur by "another nation", insurrection is revolting against your own government. Therefore the Constitution authorizes the user of military force against US citizens who are in a state of insurrection.

>>>>

A non American terrorist does not have the U.S. Constitution An American terrorist does. Let's keep the two seperate.

Not need to keep them separate when Constitutional requirements are met such an Congress authorizing the use of military force under Article I Section 8 of the United States Constitution which they did under their "Authorization for use of Military Force" issued on September 18, 2001 which authorized the President of the United States to act with "all necessary force" against terrorist organizations.

>>>>

If one part of the constitution is no good then non of the Constitution is no good, you can't have it both ways.

There is no conflict, if you are charged with a crime you have a right to due process under the 5th amendment. If you are an enemy combatant and are hiding outside the bounds of law enforcement in another country, then the Congress can authorize military force because your actions place you in a state of insurrection.

And the Superme Court already ruled hat even though an American citizen has been deemed a enemy combatant they still have due process of the law.

Of course if you are captured by law enforcement and are to be tried in court, then you have due process. However as an enemy combatant outside the bounds of law enforcement hiding in another country where they can't reach you, then Congress can authorize the use of military force.

Pretty simple really.

>>>>

>>>>

When was martial law envoked?

Show me in the constitution where martial law must be declared for Congress to exercise it's Article I Section 8 empowerment.

We'll wait.

Or the suspension of habeas corpus

Habeas corpus is a legal action as part of a judicial process. If he had been arrested and imprisoned he would have been able to use habeas corpus as a part of a legal pleading.

Since he was killed in a military action ordered National Command Authority upon an specific authorization by Congress for the application of "all force necessary", then habeas corpus does not apply.

All that counts is that the Missile didn't miss.

>>>>

The guy was NOT assassinated ,he was killed on the battle field,as the enemy,it really is that simple.

>>>>

If one part of the constitution is no good then non of the Constitution is no good, you can't have it both ways.

There is no conflict, if you are charged with a crime you have a right to due process under the 5th amendment. If you are an enemy combatant and are hiding outside the bounds of law enforcement in another country, then the Congress can authorize military force because your actions place you in a state of insurrection.

And the Superme Court already ruled hat even though an American citizen has been deemed a enemy combatant they still have due process of the law.

Of course if you are captured by law enforcement and are to be tried in court, then you have due process. However as an enemy combatant outside the bounds of law enforcement hiding in another country where they can't reach you, then Congress can authorize the use of military force.

Pretty simple really.

>>>>

What was the charges aginst the American Citizen?

>>>>

Show me in the constitution where martial law must be declared for Congress to exercise it's Article I Section 8 empowerment.

We'll wait.

Or the suspension of habeas corpus

Habeas corpus is a legal action as part of a judicial process. If he had been arrested and imprisoned he would have been able to use habeas corpus as a part of a legal pleading.

Since he was killed in a military action ordered National Command Authority upon an specific authorization by Congress for the application of "all force necessary", then habeas corpus does not apply.

>>>>

You don't think congress would put down an insurrection without issuieing Martial law do you?

What were his charges? and when did we invade Yemen?

We'll wait.

>>>>

You don't think congress would put down an insurrection without issuieing Martial law do you?

What were his charges? and when did we invade Yemen?

You're not at war with Yemen.
But that's where he was carrying out his operations from.
The strike was carried out with their agreement as I understand.

Pretty simple really.

>>>>

Military actions authorized by Congress do not have "charges" those are for courts of law if the individual turns themselves in or is arrested.

Not the case here, has an enemy combatant he was killed in a foreign land based on intelligence gathered.

>>>>

Obama couldn't even be bothered to secure a warrant for Awlaki's arrest.

Straight to kill list.

Correct.

The specter of the Executive passing sentence on an American absent due process is repugnant to free men everywhere. And that one is accused of ‘declaring war’ on the United States or of being a ‘traitor’ again neither mitigates nor suspends one’s right to due process. Indeed, the right is predicated on the fact that without due process, one might be detained – or in this case killed – in error:

[The requirement of due process is not] offset by the circumstances of war or the accusation of treasonous behavior, for “t is clear that commitment for any purpose constitutes a significant deprivation of liberty that requires due process protection,” Jones v. United States, 463 U.S. 354, 361 (1983) (emphasis added; internal quotation marks omitted), and at this stage in the Mathews calculus, we consider the interest of the erroneously detained individual. Carey v. Piphus, 435 U.S. 247, 259 (1978) (“Procedural due process rules are meant to protect persons not from the deprivation, but from the mistaken or unjustified deprivation of life, liberty, or property”); see also id., at 266 (noting “the importance to organized society that procedural due process be observed,” and emphasizing that “the right to procedural due process is ‘absolute’ in the sense that it does not depend upon the merits of a claimant’s substantive assertions”). Indeed, as amicus briefs from media and relief organizations emphasize, the risk of erroneous deprivation of a citizen’s liberty in the absence of sufficient process here is very real.

Further, the fact that one may be associated with – voluntarily or not, it makes no difference – a hated organization such as al Qaeda only makes more urgent the adherence to due process:

(“[The Founders] knew–the history of the world told them–the nation they were founding, be its existence short or long, would be involved in war; how often or how long continued, human foresight could not tell; and that unlimited power, wherever lodged at such a time, was especially hazardous to freemen”). Because we live in a society in which “[m]ere public intolerance or animosity cannot constitutionally justify the deprivation of a person’s physical liberty,” O’Connor v. Donaldson, 422 U.S. 563, 575 (1975), our…analysis is unaltered by the allegations surrounding the particular detainee or the organizations with which he is alleged to have associated. We reaffirm today the fundamental nature of a citizen’s right to be free from involuntary confinement by his own government without due process of law, and we weigh the opposing governmental interests against the curtailment of liberty that such confinement entails.

Source for the cited above:

HAMDI V. RUMSFELD

This does not mean, however, we ‘sit and do nothing,’ or ‘wait for the “terrorists” to come kill us.’

Criminal suspects may be aggressively and proactively pursued, arrested, and if they offer resistance, killed.

But no president, no member of Congress, and no private citizen is above the rule of law.

Pretty simple really.

>>>>

Military actions authorized by Congress do not have "charges" those are for courts of law if the individual turns themselves in or is arrested.

Not the case here, has an enemy combatant he was killed in a foreign land based on intelligence gathered.

>>>>

Congress did not authorize this obama did. obama was the one who placed him on the hit list so what did obama charge the American citizen with that placed him on the hit list?

Intell? so how well does America's intell work? Have we found any WMD's in Iraq yet?

Forum List

Back