🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

At What Point Did Conservatives Stop Being Conservatives?

SYTFE

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2016
Just curious. Just wondering when conservatives decided to throw away what it means to actually be a conservative, and instead chose to embrace authoritarianism and extremism.

What was the turning point, exactly?

(I'm not referring to the conservatives here who do not support Trump, y'all have my respect -- even if I disagree with you on virtually everything.)

A conservative stops being a conservative when they decide to expand the size scope cost and intrusiveness of government.

IOW we have never seen any politician that was an actual conservative

Just curious. Just wondering when conservatives decided to throw away what it means to actually be a conservative, and instead chose to embrace authoritarianism and extremism.

(I'm not referring to the conservatives here who do not support Trump, y'all have my respect -- even if I disagree with you on virtually everything.)
Well, it sure as hell was recently, and it was pretty obviously tied to Trump's candidacy.

It's like many of their heads just exploded out of pure frustration that they couldn't find a pure enough candidate, so they decided to burn the party down.

A conservative stops being a conservative when they decide to expand the size scope cost and intrusiveness of government.

I think it's a bit more than that. Something very interesting has happened to conservatism in general over the past decade or so.

Well, it sure as hell was recently, and it was pretty obviously tied to Trump's candidacy.

It's like many of their heads just exploded out of pure frustration that they couldn't find a pure enough candidate, so they decided to burn the party down.

I think Trump's rise is a reflection of the inner change within conservatism, but not the turning point. This has been brewing for quite some time.

well, it's certainly at a boil now. but this has been coming since lee Atwater and Ronnie Reagan. there is also a deep strain of anti-intellectualism in the GOP base that has been festering for a long time and has been encouraged by politicians for their own gain.

so now you have people ignoring fact and telling us it's "the liberal media" if they don't like what they're hearing or if what they're hearing doesn't encourage their confirmation bias.

At what point did liberals stop being liberals and become a bunch of regressives?

takeyourhatespeechoutofthiscampus.gif

^Commonly found regressive liberal.

At what point did liberals stop being liberals and become a bunch of regressives?

Pretty sure it was when some clown decided to use the word "regressive" because he thought he was being clever.

Pretty sure it was when some clown decided to use the word "regressive" because he thought he was being clever.

Did you know that the term was coined by liberal Maajid Nawaz? He coined it when the libs decided to turn completely ass-backwards. If you just look at the picture you will understand.

well, it's certainly at a boil now. but this has been coming since lee Atwater and Ronnie Reagan. there is also a deep strain of anti-intellectualism in the GOP base that has been festering for a long time and has been encouraged by politicians for their own gain.

so now you have people ignoring fact and telling us it's "the liberal media" if they don't like what they're hearing or if what they're hearing doesn't encourage their confirmation bias.
It all gets amplified by this echo chamber, and whipped into a frenzy by conservative media. If Trump doesn't win, there's a list of ready-made excuses that will only make this worse.

I think this has made room for the Democrats to move to the Left.

Did you know that the term was coined by liberal Maajid Nawaz? He coined it when the libs decided to turn completely ass-backwards. If you just look at the picture you will understand.

Yes. Though his use of the word refers to liberals defending Islam to quickly and being in denial about Islam in general (though I think he is an extremist himself), conservatives (and alt-right faggots) use it all the time because they can't think of anything original themselves.

Last edited:

Not so much. Our heads exploded when we saw the lying, sneaky, harpy that was your choice for a candidate:
images

IOW we have never seen any politician that was an actual conservative

Centralized power is abhorrent to a conservative. so they have no place in the federal government.

For a conservative, what is desired is keeping the peace and letting people run their own lives, something that is abhorrent to a Progressive.

I'm not sure many actually were. They were just pretending to be to get power. The election has really taken the masks off people

So, fighting against an ever increasing, ever powerful authoritarian government makes one authoritarian and extreme?

:eek:

Their xenophobia and building upswell of hatred against minorities has caused them to abandon their principles and support the guy who's promised the most harm to brown people.

Their xenophobia and building upswell of hatred against minorities has caused them to abandon their principles and support the guy who's promised the most harm to brown people.

What on Earth are you babbling about?

Just stating the obvious.

It all gets amplified by this echo chamber, and whipped into a frenzy by conservative media. If Trump doesn't win, there's a list of ready-made excuses that will only make this worse.

I think this has made room for the Democrats to move to the Left.

I'd say that's true. and Donald's nonsense about pre-complaining that the race is "rigged" is designed to create hysteria. my concern is that he appears to me to be trying to de-legitimize our elections and the presidency. I think that's irresponsible and dangerous.

i'm not sure. I think Bernie forced the party to the left. I think trump and his people being so out there allows her to run more to the middle as a safe haven for independents and republicans who don't have the crazy gene.

hence the letter that came out today signed by the 50 republicans who served in the national security world who said Donald is dangerous and to vote for Hillary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/us/politics/national-security-gop-donald-trump.html

Just stating the obvious.

Obvious to who? Why do you think it obvious that conservatives hate minorities? You do realize that some of us are minorities... right?

Forum List

Back