Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

No. What you have been told is that this dogma that belief is non-belief is what makes it religion.

And that doesn't make a lick of sense.

Ah yes, the Atheist version of "God did it" when faced with a conflict in dogma. Belief is not non-belief, and calling it that is dogma no matter how much you deny it.

There is no atheist version of "God did it."

More dogma.

In your head.

No. In your posts.

I googled it.....I find no where that atheism is defined as 'those who deny the existence of tooth fairies'........

That's funny, because all over this thread I've been told that a non belief is really a belief, and therefore a religion.

No. What you have been told is that this dogma that belief is non-belief is what makes it religion.

Ah yes, the Atheist version of "God did it" when faced with a conflict in dogma. Belief is not non-belief, and calling it that is dogma no matter how much you deny it.

It can be argued that there is no such thing as a ‘militant’ (evangelical) atheist, that the term is itself a misnomer, because there is simply no ideology or philosophy in atheism to be militant about. If an atheist is someone who lacks belief in gods, then a ‘militant’ atheist is apparently someone who passionately lacks a belief in gods. All other possible beliefs and ideologies – including any desire to oppress theism – come from outside atheism. This is in contrast to religious belief, which often includes a set of laws and commandments purportedly derived from a supernatural source about which one can be ‘militant’.

Oh I am no question trying to convert people from theists to atheists. I just can't get it out of my mind how clueless you theists are. And how you guys don't care how much evidence there is god is all made up, you still believe. I was thinking about the Boss' of the world who believe in generic god vs. Christian, Jew or Muslim god. How can they be so naive? They understand that everything we humans on earth know about god is a lie, yet they still believe in "a god".

And don't even try to deny all organized religions are made up, unless you really believe god visited Joseph Smith and told him about magic underwear, or god told Mohammad what Mohammad says he told him, or that god fucked Mary. You may believe one of those story lines but you have to admit the others are all made up. So why is it you think yours isn't made up?

Generic god. Come on guys! If every religion is made up, perhaps the entire premise is made up. Sure seems that way to someone like me who has been woken up from the brainwashing our society gave us from early childhood. Stop being a sheep just like the Muslim women in the middle east. Suckers.

So, when someone says there are no Evangelist Atheists, they are wrong.

That's right. There is no such thing.

Apparently, Sealybobo disagrees. Is he doing Atheism wrong?

I'll let Sealybobo speak for himself. There's no such thing as an Evangelist atheist.

What do you call someone who tries to convert others to their beliefs?

What do you call someone who tries to wake someone up from a brainwashing? What do you call someone who realizes the world is round when the rest of society thinks it's flat?

I would love to be able to convert a bunch of people to my way of thinking. Actually, I talk to a lot of people who admit they don't believe in god but I bet their numbers don't show up on any survey's or polls.

Or theists have to resort to pooling their numbers to show how big they are but honestly if one theist believes in jesus god and the other in mohammad god, shouldn't they be put into separate categories? And people who believe in Generic god. It's like asking people, "are you at all superstitious?". Most people will say yes.

Most Christians I talk to admit they don't believe all the stuff in the bible, but say they believe in generic god. I know why they do that. They want there to be a god. I'm ok with that. It's the Christianity, Muslim & Jewish religions I don't like. Mormons, Jehovas and all the rest too. Cults all of them. What do you call a person who doesn't like cults and tries to get people out of cults?

That's funny, because all over this thread I've been told that a non belief is really a belief, and therefore a religion.

It can be argued that there is no such thing as a ‘militant’ (evangelical) atheist, that the term is itself a misnomer, because there is simply no ideology or philosophy in atheism to be militant about. If an atheist is someone who lacks belief in gods, then a ‘militant’ atheist is apparently someone who passionately lacks a belief in gods. All other possible beliefs and ideologies – including any desire to oppress theism – come from outside atheism. This is in contrast to religious belief, which often includes a set of laws and commandments purportedly derived from a supernatural source about which one can be ‘militant’.

You can certainly argue it, but you can argue anything you like. What you can't do is back it up. All you can do is repeat the same unsupported and clearly false claim, over and over again. Repeating it does not make it any less false.

You don't lack beliefs. So either the definition is wrong or you are not an Atheist. Dawkins gave his descriptions which clearly are based in belief, so either the definition is wrong or Dawkins was wrong. Refusing to acknowledge and deal with the glaringly obvious conflicts is typical for people locked in dogma.

That's right. There is no such thing.

Apparently, Sealybobo disagrees. Is he doing Atheism wrong?

I'll let Sealybobo speak for himself. There's no such thing as an Evangelist atheist.

What do you call someone who tries to convert others to their beliefs?

What do you call someone who tries to wake someone up from a brainwashing? What do you call someone who realizes the world is round when the rest of society thinks it's flat?

I would love to be able to convert a bunch of people to my way of thinking. Actually, I talk to a lot of people who admit they don't believe in god but I bet their numbers don't show up on any survey's or polls.

Or theists have to resort to pooling their numbers to show how big they are but honestly if one theist believes in jesus god and the other in mohammad god, shouldn't they be put into separate categories? And people who believe in Generic god. It's like asking people, "are you at all superstitious?". Most people will say yes.

Most Christians I talk to admit they don't believe all the stuff in the bible, but say they believe in generic god. I know why they do that. They want there to be a god. I'm ok with that. It's the Christianity, Muslim & Jewish religions I don't like. Mormons, Jehovas and all the rest too. Cults all of them. What do you call a person who doesn't like cults and tries to get people out of cults?

I see you don't want to actually answer the question. Understandable. The only rational answer is the one answer you don't want.

I have talked with many members of my church who don't take the bible literally. Most of them believe in god but know the bible is made up. I'm trying to get them to understand that if the bible is made up, so might be this god character but it is deeply rooted. I got drunk with my one buddy one night and no matter how much I debunked his arguments, he stayed firm that he just can't not believe there is no god.

Its not like he's deciding rationally. He has no evidence there is a god but he can't believe there isn't and that's his justification. There MUST be a god he says.

That's about as critical as most theists get when it comes to this subject. Luckily the next generation isn't buying it and more and more people every year leave the churches.

If evangelism is attempting to convert others, how is what you just described not evangelism?

Oh I am no question trying to convert people from theists to atheists. I just can't get it out of my mind how clueless you theists are. And how you guys don't care how much evidence there is god is all made up, you still believe. I was thinking about the Boss' of the world who believe in generic god vs. Christian, Jew or Muslim god. How can they be so naive? They understand that everything we humans on earth know about god is a lie, yet they still believe in "a god".

And don't even try to deny all organized religions are made up, unless you really believe god visited Joseph Smith and told him about magic underwear, or god told Mohammad what Mohammad says he told him, or that god fucked Mary. You may believe one of those story lines but you have to admit the others are all made up. So why is it you think yours isn't made up?

Generic god. Come on guys! If every religion is made up, perhaps the entire premise is made up. Sure seems that way to someone like me who has been woken up from the brainwashing our society gave us from early childhood. Stop being a sheep just like the Muslim women in the middle east. Suckers.

Please don't try to associate words that belong to your religion(s) with us atheists.

e·van·gel·i·cal
ˌadjective

1. of or according to the teaching of the gospel or the Christian religion.
    synonyms:scriptural, biblical;
    fundamentalist
    "evangelical Christianity"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    • of or denoting a tradition within Protestant Christianity emphasizing the authority of the Bible, personal conversion, and the doctrine of salvation by faith in the Atonement.
      synonyms:evangelistic, evangelizing, missionary, crusading, proselytizing;
      informalBible-thumping
      "an evangelical preacher"
      [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    • zealous in advocating something.
noun
noun: evangelical; plural noun: evangelicals
  1. 1.
    a member of the evangelical tradition in the Christian Church.

So, let me see if I understand you, when they try to convert others that is evangelism. When you try to convert other, that isn't. Is that about it? What exactly is the difference?

There is no cult I'm trying to get them to convert to. I'm not asking for any money EVERY FUCKING WEEK. I don't ask them to come hang out with me on Sundays and leave their kids so I can molest them.

I don't approach them on the street. I don't tell them they are going to hell if they don't believe me.

I see the similarities though. Do you see the differences?

If evangelism is attempting to convert others, how is what you just described not evangelism?

Please don't try to associate words that belong to your religion(s) with us atheists.

e·van·gel·i·cal
ˌadjective

fundamentalist
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    • of or denoting a tradition within Protestant Christianity emphasizing the authority of the Bible, personal conversion, and the doctrine of salvation by faith in the Atonement.
      informalBible-thumping
      [TBODY] [/TBODY]
noun
  1. 1.

So, let me see if I understand you, when they try to convert others that is evangelism. When you try to convert other, that isn't. Is that about it? What exactly is the difference?

There is no cult I'm trying to get them to convert to. I'm not asking for any money EVERY FUCKING WEEK. I don't ask them to come hang out with me on Sundays and leave their kids so I can molest them.

I don't approach them on the street. I don't tell them they are going to hell if they don't believe me.

Nothing in the definition you provided above mentioned money or streets. It even doesn't require child molestation. Basically, what it does define is the attempt to convert others to your beliefs. So again I ask you, how is what you said you do not evangelizing?

You can certainly argue it, but you can argue anything you like. What you can't do is back it up. All you can do is repeat the same unsupported and clearly false claim, over and over again. Repeating it does not make it any less false.

You don't lack beliefs. So either the definition is wrong or you are not an Atheist. Dawkins gave his descriptions which clearly are based in belief, so either the definition is wrong or Dawkins was wrong. Refusing to acknowledge and deal with the glaringly obvious conflicts is typical for people locked in dogma.

Again, which is why most atheists will admit actually the most rational position to have is agnostic atheism. For one, beyond this message board or at casual dinner conversation with friends, we don't really give a rats ass about gods. We simply don't believe they exist.

Let me explain further since you say I can't back it up.

the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist.

So doll, we are all atheists unless you believe in the Greek gods too? You deny those deities ever existed, right? Are you evangelical about it? No you are not.

And again we have to figure out what god(s) you are talking about first. Is it Jesus god or Generic god or OTHER? And you need to realize that many of the theists who "agree" with you that "a god" exists, don't agree with you on the rest of the story. What's up with that?

And again, so what? Unless you believe in the god who made hell for us, what does it matter to you? See? If you believe in generic god, you wouldn't be taking it so personally. So me thinks you believe in jesus god. I can read any fiction book that tells me about leprechans, ghosts, witches, gods & angels. My not believing in those things doesn't make me a believer. Just because you read a fiction book and believe it was real doesn't make us as crazy as you.

You can tell me any story you want. If I don't believe it, it's not a belief.

e·van·gel·i·cal
ˌadjective

fundamentalist
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
      informalBible-thumping
      [TBODY] [/TBODY]
noun
  1. 1.

Nothing in the definition you provided above mentioned money or streets. It even doesn't require child molestation. Basically, what it does define is the attempt to convert others to your beliefs. So again I ask you, how is what you said you do not evangelizing?

I come pretty close to it on USMB that's for sure.

that one....
Some people are able to develop critical thinking skills, some aren't........
So tell us how critical thinking skills leads to talking snakes, a 6,000 year old earth, etc.,
it obviously wasn't critical thinking skills that leads you to continuously claim I believe in talking snakes and 6000 year old earths......
So, you don't accept the bibles as true, or you just pick and choose. I can understand your picking and choosing. Otherwise, how do you resolve your belief in talking snakes and a 6,000 year old planet?
I accept the Bible as true.....I just don't accept your misrepresentations about it as true.....

When justifying and/or explaining that bible takes this much effort, I smell bullshit.
just the opposite....when simply denying takes no effort at all, you should smell something......

but there is something ignorant and illogical about saying you are opposed to believing in something without proof while believing in something without proof.......

That's a steaming hot pile of crap. Is it ignorant to not believe in the tooth fairy?

I googled it.....I find no where that atheism is defined as 'those who deny the existence of tooth fairies'........

Some people are able to develop critical thinking skills, some aren't........

Are you a parrot? You stole my line.
nope....just using it in a context that made sense for a change.....

sure there is....."shit just happens".......

Again, which is why most atheists will admit actually the most rational position to have is agnostic atheism.
I think we can all agree that you look more rational if you say you aren't REALLY an atheist.......

I would argue that there are some atheists that are ultra-vocal about their beliefs (or lack thereof) and will never hesitate to proselytize, and just to bring the message home they'll insult when someone doesn't agree with them. In that regard, they are no different than the newly born-again who do the same thing. Most atheists and agnostics just keep their beliefs to themselves, but are lumped in with the "in your face" types. The arrogance and asshole types aren't a feature or failing of either end of the religious spectrum, but are just a normal personality flaw that some people have. You can see it in pretty much every thing people get interested in, from gods, to books, to game systems, to Coke vs Pepsi, to cars, to whatever.

Some people are just assholes.

From what I've read, real Christians can't believe that the Jonah living in the belly of a whale story is an allegory because JESUS himself said it happened. LITERALLY! He said he would rise after being dead 3 days just like Jonah lived after being in the belly of a whale for 3 days.

Anyone who says that's an allegory, and Adam & Eve & Noah are all allegories needs to realize so was Mary and Jesus, unless you believe a virgin can get prego.

Funny thing.

There is a brand new TV show about a woman, who has never had sex, or even been in the same room as a naked man, who still manages to get pregnant. Maybe you should watch a couple of episodes so you will stop saying stupid things.

By the way, did you know there are actual cases of animals getting pregnant even though there are no males of their species around.

Virgin Birth By Shark Confirmed Second Case Ever -- ScienceDaily

I have talked with many members of my church who don't take the bible literally. Most of them believe in god but know the bible is made up. I'm trying to get them to understand that if the bible is made up, so might be this god character but it is deeply rooted. I got drunk with my one buddy one night and no matter how much I debunked his arguments, he stayed firm that he just can't not believe there is no god.

Its not like he's deciding rationally. He has no evidence there is a god but he can't believe there isn't and that's his justification. There MUST be a god he says.

That's about as critical as most theists get when it comes to this subject. Luckily the next generation isn't buying it and more and more people every year leave the churches.

You go to church?!?

What the fuck for? Is it the only opportunity you get to say stupid things without people laughing at you? Or do you do it to evangelize?

So tell us how critical thinking skills leads to talking snakes, a 6,000 year old earth, etc.,
it obviously wasn't critical thinking skills that leads you to continuously claim I believe in talking snakes and 6000 year old earths......
So, you don't accept the bibles as true, or you just pick and choose. I can understand your picking and choosing. Otherwise, how do you resolve your belief in talking snakes and a 6,000 year old planet?
I accept the Bible as true.....I just don't accept your misrepresentations about it as true.....

When justifying and/or explaining that bible takes this much effort, I smell bullshit.
just the opposite....when simply denying takes no effort at all, you should smell something......

Well think about what you are telling the person. A god created the earth in 7 days, adam and eve, talking snakes, burning bushes, miracles, virgin births, living in a whales belly for 3 days. How much effort should it take?

Now if you hand me all 1000 versions of your bible and insist I read it all first, maybe the brainwashing I would have a lot more to ponder. But I did read it and the brianwashing still didn't work on me. I read them and still didn't believe. No offense. Same is if you read the Mormon book or Koran story and you don't believe them.

The other thing you rely on is telling us we'll go to hell if we don't believe. That makes us think a little harder because we don't want to burn for all eternity. But if we are able to rationalize that's a lie too, then it shouldn't take that much effort.

Now it is a little bit harder to say there is no generic god because who knows? But what evidence do you have of this generic god? If you aren't swallowing the stories of the bible, what evidence do you really have? Sure "something" could have created us. We see no evidence other than the same bad evidence/reasoning/rational our primitive ancestors used to invent the character in the first place but hey, may.

From what I've read, real Christians can't believe that the Jonah living in the belly of a whale story is an allegory because JESUS himself said it happened. LITERALLY! He said he would rise after being dead 3 days just like Jonah lived after being in the belly of a whale for 3 days.

Anyone who says that's an allegory, and Adam & Eve & Noah are all allegories needs to realize so was Mary and Jesus, unless you believe a virgin can get prego.

Funny thing.

There is a brand new TV show about a woman, who has never had sex, or even been in the same room as a naked man, who still manages to get pregnant. Maybe you should watch a couple of episodes so you will stop saying stupid things.

By the way, did you know there are actual cases of animals getting pregnant even though there are no males of their species around.

Virgin Birth By Shark Confirmed Second Case Ever -- ScienceDaily

How did the girl on the tv show get pregnant?

Question number two. Do you believe everything you see on tv stupid?

LOL.

Forum List

Back