Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

Carla_Danger said:
I just don't see any evidence that there is a God, so I don't live my life as if a God exists.

The above essentially says that you do not believe in God because you don't see any evidence that there is a God.

This is a logical fallacy. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

No, you just changed what she said by extending to "evidence of absence". That's beyond her scope. So I'm afraid the rest of your post is irrelevant. Everything is not black/white, belief/disbelief. The component you're leaving out as inconvenient is doubt. Skepticism.

To use an illustration from everyday life may help clarify the issue further and demonstrate how the argument when used in its reverse form, is most illogical. The assertion 'absence of evidence is evidence of absence' cannot be applied to any unknown discovery or else the following propositions would be true:

Since William Herschel discovered Uranus in 1781 it did not exist until then because evidence of its existence was absent.

Since Neptune was not discovered until September 23rd 1846 by Galle and Arrest it did not exist until then, since there was no real evidence.

Pluto didn't exist until 1930 when it was discovered by Clyde W. Tombaugh, since there was no evidence of its existence.

What does the phrase absence of evidence is not evidence of absence mean in relation to discoveries supporting the Bible
You have a problem with logic and comprehension.
Carla_Danger said:
I just don't see any evidence that there is a God, so I don't live my life as if a God exists.

I just don't see any evidence that there is a God <<<(absence of evidence)

so (therefore)

I don't live my life as if a God exists <<<(Poor Carla believes there is no God...she interprets the above absence of evidence as "evidence of absence")

No, you've extended her point beyond its boundaries. Nothing seems to have changed on that. You don't grasp the shades of grey.

You too can become a member:
About the Holy Bible First Church of Atheism

Since its inception, the First Church of Atheism has amassed quite a following around the world. FCA ministers come from all walks of life. They are every race, ethnicity, age, and creed. The one thing binding every FCA minister is his or her belief in science, reason, and reality. The First Church of Atheism wants you to pursue and cherish your realistic beliefs without interference from any outside agency, including government or church authority. We provide our service for free, as we believe it is every atheists right to perform these clergy functions. You maybecome a legally ordained ministerfor life, without cost, and without question.

North Texas Church of Freethought
The North Texas Church of Freethought is a Fellowship of Unbelievers. We do what all the other churches do, but with one less god. Our aim is to offer atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, and freethinkers all the educational, inspirational, and social and emotional benefits of traditional faith-based churches. We do this by preaching Freethought, a rational approach to religious questions of life, love, meaning, and happiness. Our growing community of freethinkers provides a positive, affirming environment for leading a good life, free of the illogic and intolerance of other religions based on holy books and supernaturalism.

^^^Apparently, this group a) calls itself a church, b) has preachers, c) compares itself to "other religions"

Therefore, I conclude (by way of evidence) that the OP posit is errant.

Atheism is a religion.

Thank you for that dissolution. Here's the problem, back to logical fallacies, without even looking at the link: you're posting about atheists, specific atheists, and their actions. This thread isn't about athiests; it's about atehism. About a logical process -- not people and their actions. Cherrypicked anecdotes no more make a statement about the whole than we could say that when Eric Rudolph goes off his nut and starts bombing people, he therefore represents "Catholics".

Matter of fact you can also stick this red warning label on the Islamobash thread that spawned this one, the one where you advocated killing children:

Fallacy of Composition

It is NOT a religion, and if you keep saying it is, I'm going to start my own tax exempt church, and start pounding on your door at dinner time.

Seriously, it sounds ridiculous when you say it.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms:faith, belief, worship, creed; More
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Science is an enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions. The main role of observation and experimentation in science is to criticize and refute existing theories. Scientific knowledge is created by asking questions and testing conjectures/hypotheses against reality.

Faith is absolute trust or confidence in a belief. Conversely, scientific theories are inherently falsifiable – meaning they can be proven wrong. No claims of absolute truth are believed or need to be taken ‘on faith’ in science because none are made. True scientists say, “We are aware that our theories and conclusions are not perfect, just the best fit for the available evidence”.

Scientific knowledge is a form of justified belief grounded in empirical evidence and the demonstrable reliability of the scientific method. Faith is an unjustified belief based on fantasy, superstition and wishful thinking.

Science converges on the truth via questioning. Its solutions and explanations do not differ between nations or cultures because they can be tested by anyone, anywhere, anytime. Whatever knowledge science produces is valid everywhere. Religion, on the other hand, diverges into a myriad of forms and beliefs based on individual experiences and interpretations which cannot be tested against reality.

If all knowledge of science was lost, someone could potentially figure it out again. What is true remains true, and anyone could discover that truth again using the same method that revealed it in the first place. Conversely, if every trace of religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created in exactly the same way again.

Science is the pursuit of truth, not the presumption of it.

“Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions.”- Frater Ravus

If you go on the internet and tell people there's no God, and they're stupid if they think there is, you're acting just like a religious person who says there is a God, and you'll go to hell if you don't believe it.

Quite true. And if one is acting like a religious person then one is treating Atheism as a religion. Religion is about how people act and interact. Saying Atheism is not a religion by definition is ignoring the people, and people is all there is.

People here have stated categorically there is no God - faith.

Who said that?

The question is relative. See post 33. Far as I know there are no atheists here in the strict (#7) sense....

People here have stated everyone needs to stop believing in God - proselytizing.

Again, who? Where is this?

People here have stated an Atheist has no beliefs right after saying there is no God, just because that is the definition of an Atheist - dogma.

How is that not religion?

Atheism doesn't mean "no beliefs". Obviously everyone has beliefs. Atheism is simply the antithesis of theism -- taking the theory of theism and judging it to be inoperative. It isn't a "belief" in itself at all; rather it's the rejection of one particular belief.

I don't like raisins -- that doesn't mean I "believe in not-raisins" or in stamping raisins out for everyone else. It simply means I turn them down as a personal choice. It means that among the things I believe in, eating raisins is not one of them. Not that complex. Now again, if everybody around me were eating raisins at every turn and disparaging me for not eating them, well that might get a bit tiring. And it certainly wouldn't incite me to change my mind on raisins.

Seems to me the bottom line here is not a legal matter but simple respect for one's choice -- and freedom thereof.
If you go on the internet and tell people there's no God, and they're stupid if they think there is, you're acting just like a religious person who says there is a God, and you'll go to hell if you don't believe it.

Quite true. And if one is acting like a religious person then one is treating Atheism as a religion. Religion is about how people act and interact. Saying Atheism is not a religion by definition is ignoring the people, and people is all there is.

Who said that?

The question is relative. See post 33. Far as I know there are no atheists here in the strict (#7) sense....

People here have stated everyone needs to stop believing in God - proselytizing.

People here have stated an Atheist has no beliefs right after saying there is no God, just because that is the definition of an Atheist - dogma.

Atheism doesn't mean "no beliefs". Obviously everyone has beliefs. Atheism is simply the antithesis of theism -- taking the theory of theism and judging it to be inoperative. It isn't a "belief" in itself at all; rather it's the rejection of one particular belief.

I don't like raisins -- that doesn't mean I "believe in not-raisins" or in stamping raisins out for everyone else. It simply means I turn them down as a personal choice. It means that among the things I believe in, eating raisins is not one of them. Not that complex. Now again, if everybody around me were eating raisins at every turn and disparaging me for not eating them, well that might get a bit tiring. And it certainly wouldn't incite me to change my mind on raisins.

Seems to me the bottom line here is not a legal matter but simple respect for one's choice -- and freedom thereof.

I assume you've been reading the various threads and picking through thousands of posts to give you specifics, however...

Under the Faith is born from fear thread, AtheistBuddah in post 536 said, "There is no such thing as eternal life." As statement of pure belief. --- Faith

In the same thread, Sealybobo in post 710 said, "PS. If you look at this site, you'll see it has all the arguments against Jesus and generic god(s) too. Jesus may be mentioned more than Mohammad but this site shoots down every religion.

Why there is no god" Essentially the same thing as handing out Bible tracts. --- Proselytizing

The last one gets involved but there was a long discussion in the thread Atheism is a fringe kook theory cult between myself and Derideo_Te. The basic thesis was the definition of Atheism was a lack of beliefs and therefore Atheists lacked beliefs. IOW, it is true because it is written. --- Dogma.

Those are not posted in this thread. We don't even know what the premise of that thread is, so it's completely out of context here. If you'd like to invite said posters here, do so but we can't use spare parts from a Studebaker to fix a Lincoln.

You asked for sources and I gave some to you. That they were not from this thread does not mean they don't exist. So my point stands. If people treat Atheism as a religion, then it becomes a religion.

Since its inception, the First Church of Atheism has amassed quite a following around the world. FCA ministers come from all walks of life. They are every race, ethnicity, age, and creed. The one thing binding every FCA minister is his or her belief in science, reason, and reality. The First Church of Atheism wants you to pursue and cherish your realistic beliefs without interference from any outside agency, including government or church authority. We provide our service for free, as we believe it is every atheists right to perform these clergy functions. You maybecome a legally ordained ministerfor life, without cost, and without question.

The North Texas Church of Freethought is a Fellowship of Unbelievers. We do what all the other churches do, but with one less god. Our aim is to offer atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, and freethinkers all the educational, inspirational, and social and emotional benefits of traditional faith-based churches. We do this by preaching Freethought, a rational approach to religious questions of life, love, meaning, and happiness. Our growing community of freethinkers provides a positive, affirming environment for leading a good life, free of the illogic and intolerance of other religions based on holy books and supernaturalism.

^^^Apparently, this group a) calls itself a church, b) has preachers, c) compares itself to "other religions"

Atheism is a religion.

Thank you for that dissolution. Here's the problem, back to logical fallacies, without even looking at the link: you're posting about atheists, specific atheists, and their actions. This thread isn't about athiests; it's about atehism. About a logical process -- not people and their actions. Cherrypicked anecdotes no more make a statement about the whole than we could say that when Eric Rudolph goes off his nut and starts bombing people, he therefore represents "Catholics".

Matter of fact you can also stick this red warning label on the Islamobash thread that spawned this one, the one where you advocated killing children:

Fallacy of Composition

Then Atheism does not exist. I'm glad we have finally straightened this out.

Who said that?

Who said that?

I assume you've been reading the various threads and picking through thousands of posts to give you specifics, however...

Under the Faith is born from fear thread, AtheistBuddah in post 536 said, "There is no such thing as eternal life." As statement of pure belief. --- Faith

In the same thread, Sealybobo in post 710 said, "PS. If you look at this site, you'll see it has all the arguments against Jesus and generic god(s) too. Jesus may be mentioned more than Mohammad but this site shoots down every religion.

Why there is no god" Essentially the same thing as handing out Bible tracts. --- Proselytizing

The last one gets involved but there was a long discussion in the thread Atheism is a fringe kook theory cult between myself and Derideo_Te. The basic thesis was the definition of Atheism was a lack of beliefs and therefore Atheists lacked beliefs. IOW, it is true because it is written. --- Dogma.

Those are not posted in this thread. We don't even know what the premise of that thread is, so it's completely out of context here. If you'd like to invite said posters here, do so but we can't use spare parts from a Studebaker to fix a Lincoln.

You asked for sources and I gave some to you. That they were not from this thread does not mean they don't exist. So my point stands. If people treat Atheism as a religion, then it becomes a religion.

No, it doesn't "stand". If you're inviting us all to go join a similar discussion elsewhere that's one thing, but you can't just toss out the words of people who weren't addressing this question and don't even know it exists. That's a strawman.

And this statement is fatally flawed:
"If people treat Atheism as a religion, then it becomes a religion."

I can throw a truck tire on the ground and sit on it; that doesn't make it a "chair".
Let me throw this one out ......

If atheism (note, still small A) is a "religion" ---------------------------- who founded it?

Atheism is a religion.

Fallacy of Composition

Then Atheism does not exist. I'm glad we have finally straightened this out.

Non sequitur.
If atheism doesn't exist ------ what do you call the rejection of theism?

Who said that?

Who said that?

No, it doesn't "stand". If you're inviting us all to go join a similar discussion elsewhere that's one thing, but you can't just toss out the words of people who weren't addressing this question and don't even know it exists. That's a strawman.

If atheism (note, still small A) is a "religion" ---------------------------- who founded it?

You asked for the sources and I gave you what you asked for. It is not my fault you asked for it.

Who says it must be founded by someone?

...and as shown above, people treat Atheism as a religion. Some are just too dense to concede.

I never understood why so many atheists get so upset about something they don't believe in.

I don't think there is a god but I fall into the more agnostic camp where I think we just don't know if there is a supreme being or race of beings out there and even if there are we still may never understand them.

That said IDGAF if someone says the word god or that some people pray at public meetings or in a school as long as it's not forced on anyone.

Perhaps the answer lieth in the last phrase.

Tell me how in god we trust on our currency is forcing someone to participate in a religion or worship said god.

BTW it does neither but for some reason atheists who say they do not believe in said god get their panties in a wad over it.

So I'll ask again, how can one be offended by something in which they do not believe?

It's like being offended by Bugs Bunny

Strawman. I made no reference to money.

I suppose if Bugs Bunny (specifically) were rammed down my throat every time some public meeting took place, every time the seventh inning of a big baseball game came up, on all my money, in the Pledge of Allegiance, bellowed from street corners by bullhorn-wielding preachers, hawked by anonymous other accosters, invoked in every oath in the legal system, screamed from the top of her natural ampitheater by my wacko neighbor, hammered into every wedding and funeral and most of all woven into the social mores of my culture 24/7 as a psychological-warfare guilt tool, that would get a bit tiring -- particularly if my country had been founded on the basis of freedom of choice in cartoon characters.

Your mileage may vary.
Strawman to your strawman

If someone in your presence invokes the deity it is not being "rammed down your throat"
If the owners of a ball park want to broadcast a 7th inning prayer they have every right to just as you have the right to ignore it or put your fingers in your ears and say LA LA LA.

All I get from your post is that you must extremely thin skinned if the mere mention of an entity that you do not think exists can be such a source of torture to you..

Then why are you the one morphing my post into something about "rights"?
There is defensiveness here but it ain't on my end. And taking single items out of an aggregate as if not part of an interrelated whole is another morph. Not very honest.

So the owners of a ball park don't have the right to broadcast a 7th inning prayer over their privately owned PA system ?

And an aggregate is nothing but a collection of single items. If you can't figure out that what I said about one applies to all without me listing each and every little torture that you are whining about that's your problem

So tell me why the mere mention of a being you deny exists causes you such anguish.

Once again -- who brought up "rights"? You did. Who brought up "anguish"? You did. Who brought up "whining" and "torture"? Once again...

Matter of fact who said I was an atheist? Again that would be you. Why do you find it necessary to insert content that wasn't there?
We shouldn't be surprised that a topic on theism/nontheism drowns in strawmen. Theism itself depends on it.

All I have done is ask you a series of simple questions. Excuse me for trying to get some sort of answer from you to my original question since you have yet to answer it.

Why do some atheists get so upset over the mere mentioning of an entity in which they have no belief?

Instead of answering you post a litany of little things that in the "aggregate" amount to something being "rammed down your throat" by various "accosters" (sic)

So I guess you would just lose your shit if you were paying for an ice cream with a dollar bill that says in god we trust and someone said "Oh my god" within earshot while another person said "god bless you to an old woman who just sneezed.

Fallacy of Composition
That's another strawman on your part. I advocate the killing of radical Muslims and their children....not children in general.

...and even then, I would spare the infants and toddlers that have yet to attend the terrorist schools to learn the Muslim tenent of jihad. We could hand these babies over to adoption agencies and have them placed in families that want to adopt but cannot because of the lack of supply caused by our own proclivity to abort viable fetuses and murder babies in late term abortions.

Then we could raise them to love one another.

Common sense says we'll never be able to kill them all anyway. It's just a surefire solution....if you kill ALL of the troublemakers, there won't be any trouble.

...and as shown above, people treat Atheism as a religion. Some are just too dense to concede.

Then those people are treating atheism incorrectly. It is not a religion, and it's ridiculous to say that it is.

Then those people are treating atheism incorrectly. It is not a religion, and it's ridiculous to say that it is.
Never give up the ship...whether it is sinking or not!:cuckoo:

First Church of Atheism FAQ:

Do you have a physical church that I can visit?
Not yet! To learn more about that, click here.

LOL!

Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1) If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings. Some of the best debates we have ever had have been with fellow atheists. This is because atheists do not have a common belief system, sacred scripture or atheist Pope. This means atheists often disagree on many issues and ideas. Atheists come in a variety of shapes, colors, beliefs, convictions, and backgrounds. We are as unique as our fingerprints.

What is Atheism American Atheists

First Church of Atheism FAQ:

Do you have a physical church that I can visit?
Not yet! To learn more about that, click here.

LOL!

Donations are accepted but not expected. If we can raise enough money we can buy an actual church!

$847.15 Raised
$900000 Target
Choose donation amount:
Anonymous donation
All they need is some money from the faithful few!.....about $900,000.00

Damn! Those Atheist symbols must be expensive!

:funnyface:

Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1) If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings. Some of the best debates we have ever had have been with fellow atheists. This is because atheists do not have a common belief system, sacred scripture or atheist Pope. This means atheists often disagree on many issues and ideas. Atheists come in a variety of shapes, colors, beliefs, convictions, and backgrounds. We are as unique as our fingerprints.

What is Atheism American Atheists
If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass.

These make more sense than your lame retorts.

..and Bill Maher is nothing more than a pseudo-intellectual shock jock, cute but laughable.

Try to watch this and LISTEN to what is said....on both sides.

Naturally, Bill jokes his way out of being caught with illogical utterances and evokes laughter from his screened audience. I think he's just pissed at the world because God put his ears on upside down.

It's only 8 minutes 22 seconds long. I'm confident that you can muster more patience than Pogo has exhibited here.

Click on the bar at the top of the screen rather than the start arrow in the center.

Last edited:

They are not treating Atheism correctly? You mean they don't follow doctrine?

Who said that?

Who said that?

You asked for the sources and I gave you what you asked for. It is not my fault you asked for it.

Who says it must be founded by someone?

:eusa_clap: Well done grasshopper. Just wanted to see how you'd handle that. ;)

But the sources are still nonpresent entities here. You can't fairly present somebody else's point that you already disagree with. Why don't you invite those people here and let them speak for themselves?

Forum List

Back