Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

Do you realize how much this point of view trivializes the concept of faith? My best friend is a devout Catholic, and he detests the argument you're making for exactly that reason. In his view his faith is profoundly different from mundane, non-spiritual convictions. It's exactly the extra-rational nature of religious faith that gives it its emotional power and meaning. That's what the phrase "leap of faith" is all about - it takes a certain level of courage to commit to a belief that has no rational basis.

To compare that kind of deliberate act with it's antithesis, with the flat observation of logic and reason, is totally missing the point. The typical atheist's beliefs about the existence of gods have no level of spirituality. They don't engage in prayer to their non-gods, they don't achieve levels of ecstatic enlightenment contemplating the non-existence of gods. And I think this is a key point that most believers don't get. An atheist's non-belief in gods really is no more spiritually meaningful than their non-belief in unicorns. It's nothing at all like religious faith.

Do you realize that faith and worship are two different things? Faith, by definition, is simply confidence or trust in someone or something. It does not have to involve the existence of god any more than eating does.

Do you realize how much this point of view trivializes the concept of faith? My best friend is a devout Catholic, and he detests the argument you're making for exactly that reason. In his view his faith is profoundly different from mundane, non-spiritual convictions. It's exactly the extra-rational nature of religious faith that gives it its emotional power and meaning. That's what the phrase "leap of faith" is all about - it takes a certain level of courage to commit to a belief that has no rational basis.

To compare that kind of deliberate act with it's antithesis, with the flat observation of logic and reason, is totally missing the point. The typical atheist's beliefs about the existence of gods have no level of spirituality. They don't engage in prayer to their non-gods, they don't achieve levels of ecstatic enlightenment contemplating the non-existence of gods. And I think this is a key point that most believers don't get. An atheist's non-belief in gods really is no more spiritually meaningful than their non-belief in unicorns. It's nothing at all like religious faith.

Do you realize that faith and worship are two different things? Faith, by definition, is simply confidence or trust in someone or something. It does not have to involve the existence of god any more than eating does.

The term "faith" is used in a variety of ways. In a religious context, it refers to something more profound than simple 'confidence or trust'.

Where do you dig up this fantasy that atheism is a belief "system"??? A system implies an integrated collections of beliefs - not one negation. Atheists share exactly one trait - they don't believe gods. That's it. Beyond that, their beliefs are all over the map. There is no system binding all atheists together as a unified religion. There are weird cults of all stripes in this world, and some of them are no doubt comprised of atheists. But that's a first year logical fallacy - just because some atheists make a religion out of their belief, doesn't mean all atheist do, and it doesn't make atheism a religion.

From the fact that tacking -ism onto a word means it is a belief system.

Where do you dig up the fantasy that it isn't?

I think 90% of thread is guileless equivocation. "ism" is a suffix with a wide variety of uses. The suffix "-ism" doesn't make atheism a religion any more than it makes theism a religion. It just specifies whether someone believes in gods or not.

The term "faith" is used in a variety of ways. In a religious context, it refers to something more profound than simple 'confidence or trust'.

Only if you confuse it with something more profound, which I am sure your Catholic friend does not do.

I think 90% of thread is guileless equivocation. "ism" is a suffix with a wide variety of uses. The suffix "-ism" doesn't make atheism a religion any more than it makes theism a religion. It just specifies whether someone believes in gods or not.

As I have already pointed out to you, I have never said that atheism is a religion. That fact does not give anyone the right to redefine atheism as not a belief. By they way, I have posted the dictionary definition of atheism from multiple sources, all of which define it as a belief, not a lack of a belief.

As I have already pointed out to you, I have never said that atheism is a religion. That fact does not give anyone the right to redefine atheism as not a belief. By they way, I have posted the dictionary definition of atheism from multiple sources, all of which define it as a belief, not a lack of a belief.

Oh what the heck, I'm bored... first hit on google says....

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist.

Copy'n and Past'n whoowhoooooo!!!!1

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist.

I already challenged one poster to find that definition in a non internet dictionary. I am all but positive that Wikipedia doesn't meet that definition, and I have seen may people reject any Wiki reference based on their ignorant belief that nothing posted in it is accurate.

As for Google, did you know that t is based on what idiots click on over facts?

I already challenged one poster to find that definition in a non internet dictionary. I am all but positive that Wikipedia doesn't meet that definition, and I have seen may people reject any Wiki reference based on their ignorant belief that nothing posted in it is accurate.

As for Google, did you know that t is based on what idiots click on over facts?

Whatever. I'm not THAT bored. ;)

It has to do with the topic of the thread. I posted that before your reply where you clarified that you don't think atheism is, in fact, a religion. I assume you see theism likewise.

I posted that I don't think atheism is a religion days ago. I also pointed out that some atheist actually disagree with me, and that they have made it into a religion, which is fine with me. I have more respect them than I do for practitioners of Scientology, which is not a religion in any sense of the word I understand it. That said, I would strenuously object to the government not treating Scientology as a religion because it is not their job to define what is, and is not, a religion.

Just to be nice, there are people that treat theism as a religion. I happen to be one of them because I understand theism to be more than a simple existence in god or gods, it is the belief that the universe is populated by free agents, and that the future is not entirely fixed by the gods that exist. I also realize that other people do not define it is a religion, which in no way matters to me. I have never met a non religious theist that objected to me viewing theism as a religion, which leaves me dumbfounded when I see atheists objecting to anyone pointing that some atheist view their beliefs as being religious.

Yours is a failed argument that is typical for angry fundamentalists. You're unable to argue affirmatively for your belief in magic and superstition. Because you cannot make a rational argument for ancient myths, you're left to make goofy utterances that others must "disprove" your nonsensical musings.
Mistaken again you are. I didn't ask you to disprove. I merely pointed out that proof or disproof does not exist on either side....so claiming either side is done on faith alone. You have faith one way, I have faith the other. We each have faith that our belief is correct.
I don't expect honesty from fundamentalists, but you might want to review what you previously wrote.
I have no need to do that. You do...if you want to switch over to being honest. Pigs will fly first.
I understand you're angry. That's a typical reaction from fundamentalists when they're tasked with supporting their claims to supernaturalism. Similarly, when fundamentalists are confronted with their pointless claims that others need to disprove their appeals to magic and supernaturalism, the fundamentalists typically react as you do.
Your inference that I am angry is born of your narcissism. I couldn't care less about what you believe. It's the incessant crowing and attacks on others that makes yours an angry, militant religion, geared toward the ridicule of scorn of all others. What you infer from my postings is nothing more than your mistaken opinion. It takes a lot more than what you say to bring me to anger. You overrate yourself.

If it really makes you happy, I am proud to have provided you with some comfort and joy. I bring you tidings of comfort and joy. That's cool with me! God Rest Ye Merry People All!
:beer:
It's a profoundly silly comment to make such that "I couldn't care less about what you believe", yet, you spend inordinate amounts of time agonizing over those who dismiss your gawds as simply myth and legend.

Your anger and rage is palpable. You apply "religion" to atheism as a slur because you're incensed that even after all the history of pages in this thread and your continued attempts to define rejection of fear and superstition as "religion", you're still pursuing a failed argument.

I like how you make shit up as you go along. I simply do not believe in deities. I'm an atheist. I have no religion. Outside of this forum, I rarely think about it, or even talk about it.Outside of posting on this forum, I don't even personally know any other atheists. I have one family member who's agnostic, and the rest of my family are Christian. I have a total of two family members that know I'm an atheist.

I even celebrate Christmas!
Likely, you go along with Christmas just to get the gifts! Whatever.

I haven't been making shit up. In many cases I posted links to my claims. You people (all you Atheist militants) have yet to refute any one of them, except with some pithy little sayings promoted by that pseudo intelligent dickweed, Bill Maher and some of your more famous preachers of Atheism.

Not to worry though. Just because you belong to a group known to be a religion doesn't mean you have to be religious. I'm a not-very-religious Baptist myself.

Wowza, you might want to read your own writing and take a look at who's militant.

And are you upset that my family buys me gifts? I hate Christmas, come to think of it. It's a holiday that many go in debt over. I celebrate it because I have two grown children I like to buy for. I pull out my 24 inch pre-decorated tree, put presents around it, and have fun with my kids. Other than that, it really has no meaning.
That's strange behavior for an adamant Atheist. I would think you would teach your children to ignore such folly and criticize those that observe such silly, seasonal traditions.

I give gifts to my grown children all through the year, not just at Christmas time. There's no need to wait 'til Christmas.

So, you're trying to out-gift me, when you really have no idea what I do for my children? How strange.

I do more. I'm so great, I'm superior.

I can't quite put my finger on this type of attitude. It's sort of a mixture of American exceptional-ism and Christian superiority. The two things I notice in people at Christmas time....and part of the reason I'm always so ready for the season to be over. Christmas in America really has little to do with Jesus's birthday.

I don't know why this would seem like strange behavior for an atheist. I've repeatedly told you that all atheists are different. We don't all share the same brain.
Wrong again, narcissist. My year round gifting to my grown children has nothing to do with your reported Christmas time gifting. I don't compare myself to you in any way. I don't really care what you do as long as it does not affect me negatively. It really doesn't bother me that Atheists continually scorn and verbally abuse Christians. It's just a sign of deep seeded hatred and insecurity with your own religious beliefs. None of this actually hurts me one iota. It does give me pause the laugh and wonder what your purpose is....other than self gratification and aggrandizement.

You silly people need to learn how to live and let live.
It seems that the siege mentality that causes you fundies to invent conspiracy theories has become a pathology for the more excitable of the thumpers.

Have you the balls to quote the link from which that came? I'm from Missouri..SHOW ME!

It has to do with the topic of the thread. I posted that before your reply where you clarified that you don't think atheism is, in fact, a religion. I assume you see theism likewise.

I posted that I don't think atheism is a religion days ago. I also pointed out that some atheist actually disagree with me, and that they have made it into a religion, which is fine with me. I have more respect them than I do for practitioners of Scientology, which is not a religion in any sense of the word I understand it. That said, I would strenuously object to the government not treating Scientology as a religion because it is not their job to define what is, and is not, a religion.

Just to be nice, there are people that treat theism as a religion. I happen to be one of them because I understand theism to be more than a simple existence in god or gods, it is the belief that the universe is populated by free agents, and that the future is not entirely fixed by the gods that exist. I also realize that other people do not define it is a religion, which in no way matters to me. I have never met a non religious theist that objected to me viewing theism as a religion, which leaves me dumbfounded when I see atheists objecting to anyone pointing that some atheist view their beliefs as being religious.

The thing is, language is flexible, and words mean different things in different contexts to different people. For the purposes of discussion, what matters is that we clearly communicate the ideas involved. The problems arise when people leverage the ambiguities of the language to deliberately equivocate.

When @asaratis says the strident fanatical atheists like Dawkins are jerks or that some atheists are so committed to an "anti-god" stance that it amounts to just another religious belief, I can agree. But it doesn't follow that narrow examples define the general concept. It's like observing that some Tea Party members are racist rednecks and trying to use that to smear the entire movement.

As far as the government's treating a belief system as a religion, you know how I see that. Government shouldn't be "treating" religious practices or views any differently than any other beliefs people might have. The mere fact that we have different legal standards for religions forces government to make a determination concerning which beliefs are genuinely "religious" and which aren't.

Last edited:

Have you the balls to quote the link from which that came? I'm from Missouri..SHOW ME!

I dunno. Do you have the mental acumen to google "atheism"? It was at the top of the page, in a quote block. I didn't follow the link, cause I don't really care. But I think it was from Wikipedia. I'm from Missouri too.

I love it the way the religists are always trying to down play and "normalize" that which they subscribe to which is not normal.

"Faith" as they use it is much more akin to the mental hell that many schitzophrenics are trapped in believing the voices in their heads are real.

This "faith" they speak of is more like a symptom of a mental disease than some benign wish list.

....Like believing in the Easter Bunny or the tooth fairy or the truly odd perpetuation of Santa Claus... altho I can see how the use of the Santa Claus could be helpfull if preparing children to have "faith" and believe in the impossible.

Forum List

Back