Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

...<snip>...

Wrong, Since when did a non belief equal a belief. I don't believe in unicorns. That is not a belief. Seriously, think about what you write.

It implies that you have a belief that unicorns do not exist. It is not a non-belief.

That means Tuatara no longer follows the Unicornist doctrine, and is not affiliated with the Unicorn Church. He/she does not share the unrealistic belief in Unicorns. Tuatara in now an Unicorneist. There is no doctrine for Unicorneism.
I'm also a Santa Clausiest, a leprachauneist, a fairyeist, a ghosteist...

I have a joke for you. Why does Santa wash his costume in Tide?

Answer: Because it's too cold out-tide. LOL!

I'm quoting from YOUR OWN DEFINITION!!!!!

UNLESS YOU HAVE ABSOLUTE PROOF that there is no God, then you have FAITH you are correct.

That's not only belief but faith.

You are just trying to say it doesn't count for you, because you say it doesn't count.

You can't hold Christians to one standard and then say it doesn't count for you.

You still lose.
This is so wrong. First of all no one can have absolute proof of a negative. Do you have absolute proof that there is no Zeus, Ra, FSM or martians. Of course you don't but it would be ridiculous to say that not believing in any of those is a belief and faith. By your definition you would.

I have no need to do that. You do...if you want to switch over to being honest. Pigs will fly first.
I understand you're angry. That's a typical reaction from fundamentalists when they're tasked with supporting their claims to supernaturalism. Similarly, when fundamentalists are confronted with their pointless claims that others need to disprove their appeals to magic and supernaturalism, the fundamentalists typically react as you do.
Your inference that I am angry is born of your narcissism. I couldn't care less about what you believe. It's the incessant crowing and attacks on others that makes yours an angry, militant religion, geared toward the ridicule of scorn of all others. What you infer from my postings is nothing more than your mistaken opinion. It takes a lot more than what you say to bring me to anger. You overrate yourself.

If it really makes you happy, I am proud to have provided you with some comfort and joy. I bring you tidings of comfort and joy. That's cool with me! God Rest Ye Merry People All!
:beer:

You'd get a lot less ridicule if you'd quit trying to define us. Just saying...
I'm not trying to define you. That's already be done. You define yourselves by holding to the faith.

Cheers!:beer:

But I don't have faith.... Why are you trying to turn me into you?
You have faith in your belief that God doesn't exist. Since you have no proof of it, you must believe it on faith. Why can't you numbnuts grab that?

Likely, you go along with Christmas just to get the gifts! Whatever.

I haven't been making shit up. In many cases I posted links to my claims. You people (all you Atheist militants) have yet to refute any one of them, except with some pithy little sayings promoted by that pseudo intelligent dickweed, Bill Maher and some of your more famous preachers of Atheism.

Not to worry though. Just because you belong to a group known to be a religion doesn't mean you have to be religious. I'm a not-very-religious Baptist myself.

Wowza, you might want to read your own writing and take a look at who's militant.

And are you upset that my family buys me gifts? I hate Christmas, come to think of it. It's a holiday that many go in debt over. I celebrate it because I have two grown children I like to buy for. I pull out my 24 inch pre-decorated tree, put presents around it, and have fun with my kids. Other than that, it really has no meaning.
That's strange behavior for an adamant Atheist. I would think you would teach your children to ignore such folly and criticize those that observe such silly, seasonal traditions.

I give gifts to my grown children all through the year, not just at Christmas time. There's no need to wait 'til Christmas.

So, you're trying to out-gift me, when you really have no idea what I do for my children? How strange.

I do more. I'm so great, I'm superior.

I can't quite put my finger on this type of attitude. It's sort of a mixture of American exceptional-ism and Christian superiority. The two things I notice in people at Christmas time....and part of the reason I'm always so ready for the season to be over. Christmas in America really has little to do with Jesus's birthday.

I don't know why this would seem like strange behavior for an atheist. I've repeatedly told you that all atheists are different. We don't all share the same brain.
Wrong again, narcissist. My year round gifting to my grown children has nothing to do with your reported Christmas time gifting. I don't compare myself to you in any way. I don't really care what you do as long as it does not affect me negatively. It really doesn't bother me that Atheists continually scorn and verbally abuse Christians. It's just a sign of deep seeded hatred and insecurity with your own religious beliefs. None of this actually hurts me one iota. It does give me pause the laugh and wonder what your purpose is....other than self gratification and aggrandizement.

You silly people need to learn how to live and let live.

I never said I only do for my children at Christmas. That's your assumptive Christian superiority showing, that's all.
No, silly. You pointed out that you observe Christmas because you have grown children you like to buy for. I merely poiunted out that you don't have to celebrate Christmas to do that. No superiority involved.

...<snip>...

Wrong, Since when did a non belief equal a belief. I don't believe in unicorns. That is not a belief. Seriously, think about what you write.

It implies that you have a belief that unicorns do not exist. It is not a non-belief.
Now you are getting ridiculous. It's like me saying you have a belief that a 71' Chevy Camaro inbedded in my armpit hair does not exist.
Oh, I see we have another imbecilic poster chiming in. Grow up, little one! Come back when have you can comprehend abstract thought.

I understand you're angry. That's a typical reaction from fundamentalists when they're tasked with supporting their claims to supernaturalism. Similarly, when fundamentalists are confronted with their pointless claims that others need to disprove their appeals to magic and supernaturalism, the fundamentalists typically react as you do.
Your inference that I am angry is born of your narcissism. I couldn't care less about what you believe. It's the incessant crowing and attacks on others that makes yours an angry, militant religion, geared toward the ridicule of scorn of all others. What you infer from my postings is nothing more than your mistaken opinion. It takes a lot more than what you say to bring me to anger. You overrate yourself.

If it really makes you happy, I am proud to have provided you with some comfort and joy. I bring you tidings of comfort and joy. That's cool with me! God Rest Ye Merry People All!

I'm not trying to define you. That's already be done. You define yourselves by holding to the faith.

You have faith in your belief that God doesn't exist. Since you have no proof of it, you must believe it on faith. Why can't you numbnuts grab that?

Do you realize how much this point of view trivializes the concept of faith? My best friend is a devout Catholic, and he detests the argument you're making for exactly that reason. In his view his faith is profoundly different from mundane, non-spiritual convictions. It's exactly the extra-rational nature of religious faith that gives it its emotional power and meaning. That's what the phrase "leap of faith" is all about - it takes a certain level of courage to commit to a belief that has no rational basis.

To compare that kind of deliberate act with it's antithesis, with the flat observation of logic and reason, is totally missing the point. The typical atheist's beliefs about the existence of gods have no level of spirituality. They don't engage in prayer to their non-gods, they don't achieve levels of ecstatic enlightenment contemplating the non-existence of gods. And I think this is a key point that most believers don't get. An atheist's non-belief in gods really is no more spiritually meaningful than their non-belief in unicorns. It's nothing at all like religious faith.

Do you realize how much this point of view trivializes the concept of faith? My best friend is a devout Catholic, and he detests the argument you're making for exactly that reason. In his view his faith is profoundly different from mundane, non-spiritual convictions. It's exactly the extra-rational nature of religious faith that gives it its emotional power and meaning. That's what the phrase "leap of faith" is all about - it takes a certain level of courage to commit to a belief that has no rational basis.

To compare that kind of deliberate act with it's antithesis, with the flat observation of logic and reason, is totally missing the point. The typical atheist's beliefs about the existence of gods have no level of spirituality. They don't engage in prayer to their non-gods, they don't achieve levels of ecstatic enlightenment contemplating the non-existence of gods. And I think this is a key point that most believers don't get. An atheist's non-belief in gods really is no more spiritually meaningful than their non-belief in unicorns. It's nothing at all like religious faith.
I understand the difference. I see your intent of your argument. But that does not detract from the fact that modern day Atheists have made a religion out of ridicule and scorn aimed at believers in spiritual things. If you simply believe deities do not exist, you still have no cause to ridicule those that believe otherwise.

If you had evidence of non-existence, you might have a reason to argue with other religions. There is no proof either way that I am aware of. So the Atheist doctrine of opposing religion and any sign thereof has become a religion.

If you think Atheism precludes spirituality, try this book:

Atheism The Spiritual Atheist Personal Spiritual Growth In An Age Of Skeptics Spirituality Meditation Life Choices Book 5 - Kindle edition by David Carlyle atheism atheist atheism for dummies atheists in america atheism advanced atheist manifesto spirituality books atheism and spirituality. Religion Spirituality Kindle eBooks Amazon.com.

I guess your goal is to get more people using your custom definitions. Good luck with that.

A definition that exist in dictionaries is now custom, while one that contradicts those dictionaries has to be accepted by everyone because not doing so upsets some idiots.

Sorry, I don't care if idiots don't like reality.

Wrong again as usual.

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist.

So maybe in the narrow sense.

The other two sentences clearly say the rejection of belief and absence of belief. Dummy.

I bet you cannot find a single non internet dictionary that defines atheism as a lack of belief.

There's no belief required to conclude your gods are of myth and legend.

It's your anger directed at those who conclude your gods don't exist that causes you such angst. While you may harbor deep seated hatreds for those who reject your gods, the majority of the planet are a-theistic regarding your version of gods. Learn to let go of the hate that causes you to behave in such a childish and petulant manner.

Really?

You have to be able to arrive at a judgement using reason in order to conclude something. Tell me how you can do that without believing, oh he who hates to use proper definitions.

...<snip>...

Now you are getting ridiculous. It's like me saying you have a belief that a 71' Chevy Camaro inbedded in my armpit hair does not exist.
Oh, I see we have another imbecilic poster chiming in. Grow up, little one! Come back when have you can comprehend abstract thought.
I knew you couldn't respond. Thanks for playing.

I understand the difference. I see your intent of your argument. But that does not detract from the fact that modern day Atheists have made a religion out of ridicule and scorn aimed at believers in spiritual things. If you simply believe deities do not exist, you still have no cause to ridicule those that believe otherwise.

I agree. And it's true that some have turned their rejection of theism into a religious campaign. But any fixation can be turned into a religion. People have built religions around sex. But that didn't make sex itself is a religion, or everyone who's ever been laid a follower of the sex religion.

If you had evidence of non-existence, you might have a reason to argue with other religions. There is no proof either way that I am aware of. So the Atheist doctrine of opposing religion and any sign thereof has become a religion.

Again, some atheists may think that way. But there is no "atheist doctrine", any more than there's a single 'theist' doctrine. Come to think of it, that's probably a pretty good way to make my point. Theism isn't a religion either. It's just a belief in one or more gods. It takes more than one belief to make a religion.

I don't think that at all. Depending who is practicing it, and how, Bhuddism is arguably an atheistic, spiritual practice, even a religion. But the mere lack of a belief in god isn't inherently spiritual. I suppose you could posit a "mundane" belief in a god, that also lacked spirituality - but the term "faith" implies more. I does depend on a spiritual component, and that aspect is missing from the lack of faith exhibited by an atheist.

I agree. And it's true that some have turned their rejection of theism into a religious campaign. But any fixation can be turned into a religion. People have built religions around sex. But that didn't make sex itself is a religion, or everyone who's ever been laid a follower of the sex religion.

Again, some atheists may think that way. But there is no "atheist doctrine", any more than there's a single 'theist' doctrine. Come to think of it, that's probably a pretty good way to make my point. Theism isn't a religion either. It's just a belief in one or more gods. It takes more than one belief to make a religion.

I don't think that at all. Depending who is practicing it, and how, Bhuddism is arguably an atheistic, spiritual practice, even a religion. But the mere lack of a belief in god isn't inherently spiritual. I suppose you could posit a "mundane" belief in a god, that also lacked spirituality - but the term "faith" implies more. I does depend on a spiritual component, and that aspect is missing from the lack of faith exhibited by an atheist.

And just to make your point about atheists being diverse I am a self described "spiritual atheist". Doesn't mean that I "believe" in any connections to a "spirit world" but rather that there is a tangible aspect to us that is spiritual in nature. It can be measured and exists in other mammal species. Religions have taken this spiritual aspect of ourselves and attempted to claim that it is "evidence" for their deities. However there is zero evidence to support that claim.

"f it doesn't take belief to conclude that God doesn't exist, then you must have some proof somewhere. Where is it?"

This fails as an appeal to ignorance fallacy.

Lack of evidence that something doesn't exist doesn't 'prove' that it does, nor is it a 'belief' to acknowledge that lack of evidence.

In order to reach a conclusion you have to do more than simply say there is no evidence, you have to examine the evidence using reason. That, like it or not, does not lead me into any fallacies when I point out that it is impossible to not believe in your conclusion that god does not exist.

Yours is a failed argument that is typical for angry fundamentalists. You're unable to argue affirmatively for your belief in magic and superstition. Because you cannot make a rational argument for ancient myths, you're left to make goofy utterances that others must "disprove" your nonsensical musings.

I can argue affirmatively for anything. For instance, atheism is, by definition, a doctrine because the suffix -ism means "a distinctive doctrine, cause, system, or theory." If you have an objection to that I suggest you contact the publishers and editors of Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged, © 2002.

Where do you dig up this fantasy that atheism is a belief "system"??? A system implies an integrated collections of beliefs - not one negation. Atheists share exactly one trait - they don't believe gods. That's it. Beyond that, their beliefs are all over the map. There is no system binding all atheists together as a unified religion. There are weird cults of all stripes in this world, and some of them are no doubt comprised of atheists. But that's a first year logical fallacy - just because some atheists make a religion out of their belief, doesn't mean all atheist do, and it doesn't make atheism a religion.

From the fact that tacking -ism onto a word means it is a belief system.

Where do you dig up the fantasy that it isn't?

Forum List

Back