Australia Bans Guns, Crime Rate Increases | Gun Control Fail

recorded assaults and sexual assaults have both increased steadily in the past 10 years by over 40 percent and 20 percent respectively

Australian Institute of Criminology - Trends in violent crime

That may be so, however, before 1996 I don't ever recall reading in the paper, or hearing on the news about a woman who shot her rapist, or a homeowner who shot a burglar.

Surely that would have happened when guns were legal?

oh so more rape is an excusable cost for your safety>?

If only the children and the farm animals were armed, this tragedy could've been avoided!

(I find it hilarious this awful thread got bumped, let's all bask in bigrebnc1775's lies and bullshit for the next several posts as he scrambles to try to cover his idiotic views)

Last edited:
Where did the information come from?
Also, it mentions Peter Griffin as the Attorney General. He was the AG of South Australia until 2001 - a state 3.5 times the size of Texas with the population of Idaho...hardly compelling.

Just more shilling with little to back it up from the gun lobby...

It reeks of the "we've got our own polls" nonsense from the election. I'm sure the "data" is just as accurate. Less guns means less gun deaths. It's as simple as that.

OP- Total Pubcrappe. They banned semi-auto rifles and shotguns, and murders went down 59%, and massacres ended. The rest is irrelevant.

recorded assaults and sexual assaults have both increased steadily in the past 10 years by over 40 percent and 20 percent respectively

That may be so, however, before 1996 I don't ever recall reading in the paper, or hearing on the news about a woman who shot her rapist, or a homeowner who shot a burglar.

If you that if the media doesn't report it then it didn't happen, you are sorely mistaken. Heard of the Pearl High School Shooting?
Pearl High School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please to pass over if this was posted already but I just discovered the thread and I know there's a lot of spinmeisters with agendas, so...

For Australia, the NFA (National Firearm Agreement) seems to have been incredible successful in terms of lives saved. While 13 gun massacres (the killing of 4 or more people at one time) occurrd in Australia in the 18 years before the NFA, resulting in more than one hundred deaths, in the 14 following years (and up to the present), there were no gun massacres.

The NFA also seems to have reduced firearm homicide outside of mass shootings, as well as firearm suicide. In the seven years before the NFA (1989-1995), the average annual firearm suicide death rate per 100,000 was 2.6 (with a yearly range of 2.2 to 2.9); in the seven years after the buyback was fully implemented (1998-2004), the average annual firearm suicide rate was 1.1 (yearly range 0.8 to 1.4). In the seven years before the NFA, the average annual firearm homicide rate per 100,000 was .43 (range .27 to .60) while for the seven years post NFA, the average annual firearm homicide rate was .25 (range .16 to .33)
-- -- Spring 2011 Bulletin, "The Australian Gun Buyback", Firearms Research Summary from the Harvard Injury Control Research Center.

If you that if the media doesn't report it then it didn't happen, you are sorely mistaken. Heard of the Pearl High School Shooting?

Not relevant as it didn't occur in Australia.

OP- Total Pubcrappe. They banned semi-auto rifles and shotguns, and murders went down 59%, and massacres ended. The rest is irrelevant.

That would be a lie mass shootings went down but murders did not.

Where did the information come from?
Also, it mentions Peter Griffin as the Attorney General. He was the AG of South Australia until 2001 - a state 3.5 times the size of Texas with the population of Idaho...hardly compelling.

Just more shilling with little to back it up from the gun lobby...

It reeks of the "we've got our own polls" nonsense from the election. I'm sure the "data" is just as accurate. Less guns means less gun deaths. It's as simple as that.

OMG not that you would ever agree with it. Not that it really matters.

It's also noteworthy that if you look at the credits from the link provided, you get the following (highlighted) media reports. For some reason, she didn't count those as the media reporting it.

^ The Avenger – Murder, Real People Stories : People.com
^ Miss. Schools Eye Security After Conn. Shooting | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS
^ DeSoto County, other Mississippi school districts, review safety procedures » The Commercial Appeal
^ Southern Town Stunned by Arrests in Murder Plot – New York Times
^ http://www.clarionledger.com/articl...ut-school-shooting-Newtown-needs-our-prayers-
^ Jackson, Miss.: Miss. schools eye security after Conn. shooting | State | The Sun Herald
^ JACKSON, Miss.: Miss. schools eye security after Conn. shooting | State | The Sun Herald
^ Ames, Mark (April 20, 2007). "Virginia Tech: Is the Scene of the Crime the Cause of the Crime?". AlterNet.
^ "Woodham testifies he was involved in satanism". CNN. June 11, 1998.[dead link]
^ "David Wilkerson Today Blog". David Wilkerson. May 22, 2009.
^ "Teen guilty in Mississippi school-shooting rampage". CNN. June 12, 1998.
^ a b c The New York Times: Conspiracy Charges Are Dropped in Mississippi School Shootings
^ a b "WOODHAM INDUCTED INTO PRISON SYSTEM." Sun Herald. June 16, 1998. A8 Front. Retrieved on July 22, 2010.
^ a b Linedecker, Clifford L. Babyface Killers: Horrifying True Stories of America's Youngest Murderers. Macmillan, 1999. 53. Retrieved from Google Books on August 10, 2010. ISBN 0-312-97032-3, ISBN 978-0-312-97032-1.
^ a b "Luke Woodham." (Archive) Mississippi Department of Corrections. Retrieved on July 20, 2010.

I think what she was trying to say is that...well, I don't know what point she was trying to make. I know that school shootings are so commonplace here that often times we don't raise an eyebrow to them unless there is a double-digit body count.

I did not realize you were talking about Australia. Either way, the violent crime rate in Australia rose significantly after the gun ban, so it is hard to argue that banning guns will reduce violence.
AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

I did not realize you were talking about Australia. Either way, the violent crime rate in Australia rose significantly after the gun ban, so it is hard to argue that banning guns will reduce violence.

Link ^ goes to the National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA), a conservative think tank funded by Bradley, Scaife, Koch, the John M. Olin Foundation, the Earhart Foundation, Castle Rock, and the JM Foundation... not to an impartial source.

Just sayin'.

Link ^ goes to the National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA), a conservative think tank funded by Bradley, Scaife, Koch, the John M. Olin Foundation, the Earhart Foundation, Castle Rock, and the JM Foundation... not to an impartial source.

Just sayin'.

Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

Jesus, he's still trying perpetuate these lies despite being disproven multiple times in this thread? Holy fuck, what a psychopath.

Forum List

Back