Average hourly rate of an American is $24.06 or $50,044 per year.

Averages are funny things

Especially when you average an executive making $20 mil with a minimum wage

Is that true healthmyths? These hourly wage employees had their wages lumped in with the executives making millions a year? And you think that number represents the "average" worker eh?

Uh, yeah, is this true? If you are taking the very top earners, that statistically have disproportionately high earnings (which is not to say that they do not deserve them), then the results of the survey will be skewed and the inferences you draw from your FACTS will be compromised to some degree.

BTW, most legitimate and meaningful economic studies avoid this whole problem by examining medians rather than the mean (average).

A company that has an executive making $20 mil/year will also employ tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of employees making far less. Therefore, his/her contribution to the average will be minimal.

If a person looks at the historical unemployment rate, when the minimum wage has been increased, there has never been a spike in the unemployment rate.
Prove that statement please!
Plus.. most of the minimum wage increases HAVE been very small increments NOT a 39% Increase which is so totally destructive of jobs.
PLUS... your comment is based on the past BEFORE Robots and customer self service. This is the game changer that WILL put more of the 16 to 25 out of work which today averages
16 to 19 years unemployment rate:
2013 2014
Sept. Oct. Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May June July Aug. Sept.
21.3 22.0 20.8 20.2 20.7 21.4 20.9 19.1 19.2 21.0 20.2 19.6 20.0
A-10. Unemployment rates by age sex and marital status seasonally adjusted

FACTS please FACTS!!! Support your comments as I do with sources not made up suppositions!

Here you go.
US Unemployment Rate by Month
U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division WHD - Minimum Wage

Plus here's a report by the CBO: http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/44995-MinimumWage.pdf
Thank you for your effort.

Yea... that was also when Minimum wage was raised in less devastating increases... 10% NOT 48%!
Again.. do the math..
Today minimum $7.25 raised to $10.80 is $3.55 per hour MORE or a nearly 48% increase over $7.25.
So the above tables NEVER saw a nearly doubling of minimum wage as this is proposed.
And for WHAT????
People that will be unemployed as they are low skill, entry level jobs!
Can be replaced if their wages are nearly doubled by robots/or customer self service.
I am stating facts that nearly doubling WILL cause people to lose their jobs.
You people are NOT connected to reality.

Why do conservatards hate to see working people getting ahead?
And why do people like you EXAGGERATE? You have NO idea what you said.
How many people have you put to work today?
Zero!
How many people have you contributed to becoming unemployed? Millions! Yup idiots like you with your totally unsupported exaggerations continue to
make any progress possible when ALL YOU want to do is TEAR DOWN... not create!
Where will RAISING the minimum wage nearly 40% INCREASE employment??? At least I want to see people STAY employed!
I KNOW what I'm writing about ... but you ??? Just raw gross unsupported stupid ass comments!
I want to keep as many people working but you... want more people on the government dole!

Quite frankly, yes, it is almost inevitable that burger flipping jobs will be automated and burger joints will have 2 or 3 techs trained to push the start button and call tech support when something breaks.

The stats sound nice, but in reality most construction workers in my area earn 10-15 an hour...
How do you know?
The government statistics state construction workers make:$26.17 per hour.
Now if you live in Mississippi that might be true... IN WHICH case why raise minimum wage in Mississippi to $10.80?
What state do you live in...

The stats sound nice, but in reality most construction workers in my area earn 10-15 an hour...
How do you know?
The government statistics state construction workers make:$26.17 per hour.
Now if you live in Mississippi that might be true... IN WHICH case why raise minimum wage in Mississippi to $10.80?
What state do you live in...

Don't discount the effect illegal aliens have on wages in manual labor professions.

Think only one figure matters to anyone in this debate: multiple of the CEO's earning compared to avg worker's. If CEOs make hundreds or thousands of times more than the avg worker, they're "bad."

Explain to me folks how putting 1 million plus people under 25 out of work is good?

You really think that thousands of businesses are going to close up just over an increase in the minimum wage?
NO! they will not close their doors, they will just raise the price of a cheese burger to $8.99 or an unhappy meal to $13.99.

i am quite certain the liberfools will NOT whine about the increase price of a simple fucking burger........................ RIGHT ? :up:

These are the FACTS folks. Not suppositions. Not anecdotal stories but realities
According to the Table B-3. Average hourly and weekly earnings of all employees on private nonfarm payrolls by industry sector seasonally adjusted

government Bureau of Labor Statistics see below.
Depending on the industry the hourly rate can be as high as $35.37 hour or $73,569 per year.

View attachment 32687

Now according to the same Bureau of Labor statistics:
Minimum wage workers tend to be young.
Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly paid workers,
they made up about half of those paid the Federal minimum wage or less.

Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 21 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and over.

Between age 16 to 24 years,1,797,000 at or below minimum wage..
Tables 1 - 10 Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers 2012

Would someone please tell me where these 1.6 million young people will work when minimum wage is raised by 39% and it becomes cheaper to let them go?
LOL you people are hilarious. You really need to learn basic math. The reason why the mean is that high is because how high personal wealth is in this country. 1% of the top earners own 40% of the nation's wealth. That's the fact that matters.

Last edited:
Explain to me folks how putting 1 million plus people under 25 out of work is good?
According to the CBO, raising the wage to 10.10 would kill 500,000 jobs but even that's a liberal estimate. Any jobs lost would be regained through an increase in consumer spending. This is basic economics.

It would also lift 16 million people out of poverty.

Last edited:

Exactly. Which is why of course this report is utterly useless, probably paid for by taxpayers.
A half second glance should make anyone immediately know it is complete nonsense.

you are the retard here simpleton, min. wage jobs were NEVER meant for working people to get ahead..., those jobs are meant as "ENTRY LEVEL", i.e., "job experience" etc., etc. is this clear enough for you ? or do you need pictures ??

:lmao:

You really think that thousands of businesses are going to close up just over an increase in the minimum wage?

So how many will get shit canned so the company can stay in business?

Who will do their work if they get let go?

The remaining will just have to work harder. But since they got that raise they shouldnt complain.

And why do people like you EXAGGERATE? You have NO idea what you said.
How many people have you put to work today?
Zero!
How many people have you contributed to becoming unemployed? Millions! Yup idiots like you with your totally unsupported exaggerations continue to
make any progress possible when ALL YOU want to do is TEAR DOWN... not create!
Where will RAISING the minimum wage nearly 40% INCREASE employment??? At least I want to see people STAY employed!
I KNOW what I'm writing about ... but you ??? Just raw gross unsupported stupid ass comments!
I want to keep as many people working but you... want more people on the government dole!

Quite frankly, yes, it is almost inevitable that burger flipping jobs will be automated and burger joints will have 2 or 3 techs trained to push the start button and call tech support when something breaks.
well now ! lookie there, a created job.., above min. wage i'll bet :up:

Yes. Bill Gates walks into a homeless shelter with 99 people with a yearly income of $100. What's the median yearly income for the 100 people in the shelter? ...

Small business is always going to feel the adverse affects of government mandated increases in labor costs.
60% of all workers in the US are employed by small business( Less than 50 total employees).
Retail which comprises the majority of small business, feels the increase the most.

you are the retard here simpleton, min. wage jobs were NEVER meant for working people to get ahead..., those jobs are meant as "ENTRY LEVEL", i.e., "job experience" etc., etc. is this clear enough for you ? or do you need pictures ??

:lmao:
THANK YOU! Idiots like Mr. Clean don't EVER think they EMOTE!!

In California, construction workers in non union shops make three times that. Unionized workers a third more. Same applies to all of the high cost of living high tax states in the upper midwest and northeast.

Is that true healthmyths? These hourly wage employees had their wages lumped in with the executives making millions a year? And you think that number represents the "average" worker eh?
Since when do white collar management types classify as hourly?
The comparison is hourly to hourly workers.
Nice try though

If a person looks at the historical unemployment rate, when the minimum wage has been increased, there has never been a spike in the unemployment rate.
Of course not. Because those at the bottom of the hourly scale are often inexperienced teens and seniors who are working to put a little money in their pockets. The increase forces them out of the labor market and the do not apply for unemployment benefits.
In case you are unaware, the U-3 unemployment figure is tied directly to the number of those collecting unemployment insurance vs the number of people holding jobs.
In other words, for the BLS to consider a person "unemployed" they must be collecting unemployment benefits.

Forum List

Back