Background checks and increase age to own a gun.

We need to stop selling all semi auto rifles capable of using large capacity magazines immediately.

Why? Knives kill more people

Mass shooting deaths....total, all guns.... 93

knives every single year....1,500

cars, 38,000

over 18,000,000 AR-15 rifles in private hands.....3 were misused.....according to your logic, the 38,000 deaths mean all cars need to be banned.....you moron....knives too......
Because they kill masses of people really quickly. Same reason bombs are illegal.

Over 18 million of them.....

3 were used illegally....

Cars kill over 38,000 every year......

A truck in Nice, France was used to kill 86, and wound 435....

Cars are death machines and according to your logic need to be banned.
You work so hard to make sure killers are well armed. Wouldn’t want to be you trying to get into heaven one day...

Increasing the age to purchase a firearm is fundamentally pointless – as the Sandy Hook mass shooting illustrates.

UBCs are a viable measure – they have been upheld by the courts as Constitutional, are functioning without incident in jurisdictions where they’ve been implemented, and don’t involve the regulation of the types or classes of firearms.

Of course, UBCs are not a ‘panacea’ for gun crime and violence – no one has said that they are; that criminals might ignore UBC laws doesn’t undermine their merit.

Any Background check that requires a fee is UnConstitutional, per Murdock v Pennsylvania...you cannot charge a fee for the exercise of a Right....

A fee for a background check also violates the 14th Amendments equal protection clause......

Yes Dayton. 9 dead in 30 seconds with lots
of law enforcement present. Too dangerous for public safety.

[

Life in prison for gun crimes would not have stopped our mass shootings.

Just like the background check didn't prevent the crimes.
Banning weapons for mass killing is certainly the best option.

Taking away the ability of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is oppressive.

Why should I be punished by having my Constitutional rights taken away because an asshole does something illegal? That is pretty damn stupid, isn't it?

Trump went on air this morning promoting background checks, increasing the age to purchase a gun, and getting rid of the policy that expunges the records of minors when they turn 18.

The legal age to purchase a gun should be 21, with perhaps some limited exceptions for an appropriate hunting rifle. An 18 year old kid is not yet mature enough to be a unsupervised gun owner. And before people go there an 18 year old in the military wielding a weapon is heavily trained and supervised.

Slade I'd be the first to support this but here's the problem. Gun control advocates are big fat liars. When we give them an inch they take a mile. They don't negotiate in good faith. Gun control advocates have every intention of breaking the deal. They will take the inch we give and keep right on pushing until guns are banned. On the way they pass laws which render owning a gun useless, or so legally risky people voluntarily give up their 2nd amendment rights.

These gun control punks are the reason we don't already have sensible, bi-partisan gun control in this country.
I appreciate the honesty and the reply however I just don’t buy the slippery slope argument. Fear of what comes next is no excuse not to take the right moves now. The end result is nothing gets done. If a business operated that way it would fail in a heartbeat.
True.

Slippery slope fallacies are devoid of fact, logic, and merit.

[

Taking away the ability of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is oppressive.

Why should I be punished by having my Constitutional rights taken away because an asshole does something illegal? That is pretty damn stupid, isn't it?
No different than heavily regulating machine guns.

[

Punished? How punished are the dead?

[

The difficulty in balancing individual freedoms against protection of the individual is such a difficult problem that many nations turn to totalitarian measures. The US is still struggling to find that balance as we see with gun ownership and freedom of speech..

The founding founders were so afraid of democracy that they put almost no protections for individual freedoms in the constitution and added the Bill of Rights as an afterthought.

Only 3 countries in the world today protect the right to bear arms in their constitutions: the US, Mexico, and Guatemala. Both Mexico and Guatemala have now curtailed legal rights to own guns but fail to enforce those curtailments. Bolivia, Costa Rica, Colombia, Honduras, Nicaragua, an Liberia followed the US example but have have rescinded those rights as violence and instability rose. None of these countries have been successful and controlling the guns or gun violence.

It appears that once gun ownership and the resulting violence catches hold in a nation, removing it becomes almost impossible.

Tens of millions of Americans are law abiding gun owners.

Taking guns away from them will have little or no impact to the criminal elements.

Most of the gun crimes in the US is committed by inner city thugs, gang members, druggies and others that would no more adhere to a new gun law than the Man in the Moon.

Trump went on air this morning promoting background checks, increasing the age to purchase a gun, and getting rid of the policy that expunges the records of minors when they turn 18.

Thoughts?

Trump: Congress discussing 'meaningful' gun background checks, NRA will have input
I saw a really detailed report from the Dept. of Justice on gun deaths a couple days ago, and it broke down gun homicides by age group. When I read it, I immediately thought "we need to keep guns out of the hands of people under 25." That's where all the action seems to be. It won't help with the gang shootings, though, they since they're kids with illegal guns. That's going to take a different tactic.

Maybe in certain really limited situations, juvenile records should be available to SOME. I didn't know those records were actually shredded when they turned 18. I thought they were just kept closed.

Thoughts?

Trump: Congress discussing 'meaningful' gun background checks, NRA will have input
I saw a really detailed report from the Dept. of Justice on gun deaths a couple days ago, and it broke down gun homicides by age group. When I read it, I immediately thought "we need to keep guns out of the hands of people under 25." That's where all the action seems to be. It won't help with the gang shootings, though, they since they're kids with illegal guns. That's going to take a different tactic.

Maybe in certain really limited situations, juvenile records should be available to SOME. I didn't know those records were actually shredded when they turned 18. I thought they were just kept closed.
And men.

[Q

You work so hard to make sure killers are well armed. Wouldn’t want to be you trying to get into heaven one day...

Where you are confused is making the assumption that taking firearms away from law abiding gun owners would cut down on gun crime by the criminal element that commit the great majority of gun crimes in this country.

Of course your confusion is understandable. You Liberals are just as confused about gun crime as you are confused about Economics, Climate Science, History, the Constitution, Ethics and Biology.

Thoughts?

The majority of those killed are criminals involved in crime.... the shooters are under 21, have criminal records, so are already banned from buying, owning or carrying guns...

The majority of these shootings are gang related or criminal related......that is why nothing you propose will stop it...

But, as Japan shows with their criminals...they went from using guns and grenades against each other in their gang fighting, to not touching guns. How did they do that? They have a 95% conviction rate, and if a criminal is caught using a gun in a crime they get a life sentence...without parole.....and 15 years for mere possession of an illegal gun.

That is all you need to do to dry up 95% of the gun crime...once you stop democrats from releasing repeat gun offenders on Bond, and out of prison in under 3 years.

[Q

Where you are confused is making the assumption that taking firearms away from law abiding gun owners would cut down on gun crime by the criminal element that commit the great majority of gun crimes in this country.

Of course your confusion is understandable. You Liberals are just as confused about gun crime as you are confused about Economics, Climate Science, History, the Constitution, Ethics and Biology.

He/she/it knows it won't stop criminals.....don't fall into that game..... they just want to take guns away from people.....it drives them insane thinking that normal people are allowed to own guns....it is a mental illness, nothing more....it is a mental illness because no appeal through facts, logic or reason makes a dent in their feelings on the issue.

[Q

Countries with strong gun control have homicide rates a small fraction of ours. A large capacity magazine isn’t needed for defense.

Thoughts?

The majority of those killed are criminals involved in crime.... the shooters are under 21, have criminal records, so are already banned from buying, owning or carrying guns...

The majority of these shootings are gang related or criminal related......that is why nothing you propose will stop it...

But, as Japan shows with their criminals...they went from using guns and grenades against each other in their gang fighting, to not touching guns. How did they do that? They have a 95% conviction rate, and if a criminal is caught using a gun in a crime they get a life sentence...without parole.....and 15 years for mere possession of an illegal gun.

That is all you need to do to dry up 95% of the gun crime...once you stop democrats from releasing repeat gun offenders on Bond, and out of prison in under 3 years.
Japan has few guns and few in jail. The US incarceration rate is highest in the world.

[Q

Countries with strong gun control have homicide rates a small fraction of ours. A large capacity magazine isn’t needed for defense.

No, countries that used to have peaceful cultures had guns and low gun murder rates....those countries destroyed their families, and brought in 3rd world immigrants to run their drug gangs...now Britain and Sweden and the rest are all experiencing the beginnings of violence that we saw from the 1960s through the 90s.

[Q

He/she/it knows it won't stop criminals.....don't fall into that game..... they just want to take guns away from people.....it drives them insane thinking that normal people are allowed to own guns....it is a mental illness, nothing more....it is a mental illness because no appeal through facts, logic or reason makes a dent in their feelings on the issue.

Just think, if we want to prevent the mentally ill from owning firearms we should start with all the Moon Bats that are afflicted with mental illness of Trump Derangement Syndrome. That would have stopped some of the more recent mass shootings.

Thoughts?

Japan has few guns and few in jail. The US incarceration rate is highest in the world.

Wrong.....Japanese criminals were using guns and grenades all the way into 2013...the thing that changed?

http://www.atimes.com/article/japans-gun-control-laws-strict-yakuza-turn-toy-pistols/

Ryo Fujiwara, long-time writer on yakuza affairs and author of the book, The Three Yamaguchi-Gumi, says that the punishment for using a gun in a gang war or in a crime is now so heavy that most yakuza avoid their use at all – unless it is for an assassination.

“In a hit, whoever fires the gun, or is made to take responsibility for firing the gun, has to pretty much be willing to go to jail for the rest of their life. That’s a big decision. The repercussions are big, too. No one wants to claim responsibility for such acts – the gang office might actually get shut-down.”

The gang typically also has to support the family of the hit-man while he is in prison, which is also a financial burden for the organization.

Japan’s Firearms and Swords Control Laws make it a crime to illegally possess a gun, with a punishment of jail time of up to 10 years.

Illegal possession more than one gun, the penalty goes up to 15 years in prison. If you own a gun and matching ammunition, that’s another charge and a heavier penalty. The most severe penalty is for the act of discharging a gun in a train, on a bus, or most public spaces, which can result in a life sentence.

---

A low-ranking member of the Kobe-Yamaguchi-gumi put it this way: “All of the smart guys got rid of their guns a long-time ago. The penalties are way too high. You get life in prison if you just fire a gun. That’s not fun.”

[Q

No, countries that used to have peaceful cultures had guns and low gun murder rates....those countries destroyed their families, and brought in 3rd world immigrants to run their drug gangs...now Britain and Sweden and the rest are all experiencing the beginnings of violence that we saw from the 1960s through the 90s.
Interesting imagination. Fact is they have MUCH lower homicide rates. You can predict the future? You get more nutty every day...

[Q

Interesting imagination. Fact is they have MUCH lower homicide rates. You can predict the future? You get more nutty every day...

Yes....I can.......out of wedlock births, fatherless homes......violent immigrant gangs......just like the U.S. in the 1960s.....

Forum List

Back