🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Baltimore Cops Should Have Kicked Ass!

Ya'll people need to learn to comprehend the topic and stop pushing your agenda's. It doesn't matter what started the riots in the case of the OP's specific question, what matter's to this OP's question is our opinion on how it should have been/should be handled.

@OP - I think the mayor made a mistake in her handling, the police have a duty and obligation to protect that which we citizens are unable to protect ourselves. (aka our businesses) If I had a business down there I would be absolutely outraged that she told the police to stand down and let those people loot and burn /my/ livelihood to the ground. That is, in my opinion, unacceptable.

At the same time this will hopefully turn out to be a good thing. All along we've been hearing about how if we just leave them alone with their "protesting" there wouldn't be problems, that it's the militarization of police that cause the riots and shit. Well now we have tried it that way and it did NOT stop the rioting, looting, and burning from happening. With that "what if" answered, maybe we can go back to reasonable tactics to disband violent groups like these.
That is a false narrative that I have tried to refute by showing with articles from the Baltimore sun how the violence predates the riot and has to do with crazy Police violence against the residents that occurs regularly and with impunity save for monetary awards to the victims of Police violence ... this is why "kicking ass" is not a solution its the problem..
The OP pertains to THE RIOT, not some history of social conditions. If you want to talk about the sociology of Baltimore in the past, I'm guessing you can find your way to the POST NEW THREAD button.

The social conditions and history have to do with how the riot started. I get that you want to ignore that and just crack some heads. But ignoring the social conditions and history will accomplish nothing at all.

The OP pertains to THE RIOT, not some history of social conditions. If you want to talk about the sociology of Baltimore in the past, I'm guessing you can find your way to the POST NEW THREAD button.

The riot did not occur in a "Vacuum" it occurred within a matrix of conditions that led to the riots...you should have made clear you only wanted Post agreeing with the kick ass approach..

Yeah, apparently everything that isn't about kicking ass is OFF TOPIC!!!

I have never ever said that cops are murdering blacks in record numbers. That is a lie. Please show where I have ever once said that cops are murdering blacks in record numbers. I have never ever said that cops are arresting blacks due to racism, never ever once have I said that. That's lie. Please show where I have ever once said those things, please.

I challenge you to find and show where I have ever said those things. Please do NOT lie and make stuff up here. Thanks.

I'm on a cell....but I can read.

You accused cops of just about every crime in the book.

Personally I think you're just trying to get me to lose my temper with your constant lies and deceptions.
Pathetic ... simply pathetic ... silly ...... and ridiculous. Well, obviously you can't read, or either it's that you can't comprehend what you're reading. You have made several statements ( which I have brought to your attention ) saying that I have said things that I have NOT said. I have asked you to please point them out, and you have yet to do so. Instead, you put your spin and interpretation to what I have said, in an attempt to change the meaning. Yes, I have accused cops of a lot of things, which are all true, and well documented. The many examples and stories have been made public for a very long time now. I did NOT make them up, fabricate them, nor did I pull them off the wall. Again, if you can dispute them, please do so. If you have a counter, please present it. But, please do not twist what I say around to mean something that I did not say. If you're going to quote me, please do so in the exact same words and context as I have written them.

I'm NOT trying to do anything concerning your temper. Your temper doesn't concern me, not in the least. If I have lied, please point out the lies. If I have said anything deceptive, please point it out. But, if you do, please do so in my exact words, and not the spin and misinterpretation that you have done thus far. Thanks

What is truly pathetic is the way you keep making these statements and claiming you didn't mean what you posted.

As I said before.....I'm on a cell.....with terrible reception. Going back and pasting your exact words is a bit difficult.

When I get on a pc I'll gladly blow your denials all to hell.
I meant every single word of what I have said, and I stand by what I have said. I have NOT claimed that any such thing, as you are accusing me of claiming. Please show where I have changed what I have said. Can you? Obviously NOT. I MEAN every single word that I have said. And, never once have I changed what I meant, never once. Please show where I have changed my meaning of what I have said. Your cell phone is no excuse. And, even if you were able to go back to the comment, you still couldn't show where I have changed anything. Oh, when you get a PC, really. I don't care if you had a $10,000.00 PC, with a 60 inch monitor, you still couldn't show where I have changed anything. You want to know why you couldn't show it? You couldn't show it because I have never changed anything.

Yep.....You're just totally misunderstood.

:boohoo:*sob*
I misunderstood what? What exactly have I misunderstood? Please tell me exactly what you believe it is that I have misunderstood? Can you? Will you?

Yeah, the Kent State events were certainly well managed.

And the police action and National Guard actions were so effective in the Watts riots, weren't they?

Once it devolves to rioting, attacking the rioters is just going to escalate the problems.
HA HA. Even dum dum Stephanie Rawlings has already renounced this stupidity.

Really? So you think the Kent State debacle went well and that the Watts riots were well managed? After all, the cops and national guard kicked ass.

And the police action and National Guard actions were so effective in the Watts riots, weren't they?

Once it devolves to rioting, attacking the rioters is just going to escalate the problems.

That's the liberal mindset....

Stand back and give em room to destroy!!!

So there are only those two choices? No option of simply trying to contain the violence?

So you think having videos of the cops cracking heads will stop the rioters? Or will it bring in more and more rioters?

No, I am not suggesting that the mayor's idea was right. But having cops and national guardsmen charge in kicking ass is certainly not going to have any good effect at all.
You have been refuted by one riot after another that I was present in, both as a National Guardsman and a protestor, during the 1960s (Harlem-1964, Pentagon-1967, Chicago-1968, Columbia University-1969, Washington DC-1969, Washington DC (Mayday)1970, et al). I know what I'm talking about. You obviously don't.

HA HA. Even dum dum Stephanie Rawlings has already renounced this stupidity.

Really? So you think the Kent State debacle went well and that the Watts riots were well managed? After all, the cops and national guard kicked ass.
Your answer is in Post # 185.

Yeah, apparently everything that isn't about kicking ass is OFF TOPIC!!!

but whose ass ...
judge%200429.jpg

So there are only those two choices? No option of simply trying to contain the violence?

So you think having videos of the cops cracking heads will stop the rioters? Or will it bring in more and more rioters?

No, I am not suggesting that the mayor's idea was right. But having cops and national guardsmen charge in kicking ass is certainly not going to have any good effect at all.
You have been refuted by one riot after another that I was present in, both as a National Guardsman and a protestor, during the 1960s (Harlem-1964, Pentagon-1967, Chicago-1968, Columbia University-1969, Washington DC-1969, Washington DC (Mayday)1970, et al). I know what I'm talking about. You obviously don't.

And which one of those events showed that police and national guard charging into a riot and cracking heads worked out well?

Ya'll people need to learn to comprehend the topic and stop pushing your agenda's. It doesn't matter what started the riots in the case of the OP's specific question, what matter's to this OP's question is our opinion on how it should have been/should be handled.

@OP - I think the mayor made a mistake in her handling, the police have a duty and obligation to protect that which we citizens are unable to protect ourselves. (aka our businesses) If I had a business down there I would be absolutely outraged that she told the police to stand down and let those people loot and burn /my/ livelihood to the ground. That is, in my opinion, unacceptable.

At the same time this will hopefully turn out to be a good thing. All along we've been hearing about how if we just leave them alone with their "protesting" there wouldn't be problems, that it's the militarization of police that cause the riots and shit. Well now we have tried it that way and it did NOT stop the rioting, looting, and burning from happening. With that "what if" answered, maybe we can go back to reasonable tactics to disband violent groups like these.
Exactly right. As I stated in the OP, the Mayor thought that appropriate/fitting level force would escalate the violence. Actually, it was the lack of that fitting force that escalated it.
and my argument is that there is a whole lot of problems with the approach of kicking ass on the Black community...I have pointed out that there are issues of Constitution of ethics and of pragmatism that militate against a kick ass approach.
Nobody here is talking about "kicking ass on the the Black community". - EXCEPT YOU.

Here is the "kick ass" approach in all its glory

Orangeburg Massacre stirs debate 44 years later USATODAY.com

...a demonstration against a segregated bowling alley that ended with 30 unarmed black students shot by white police, three of them fatally. Sellers was wounded in the armpit.

It was the most brutal response yet to student protests
that would change the nation, yet for decades it got little attention. Now, scholars and people like Sellers with first-hand accounts are changing that.

Today, academics, students and others meet in South Carolina for a three-day conference at the College of Charleston. They'll discuss the black power movement and the legacy of the Orangeburg Massacre. Sellers is one of the speakers.

The conference comes after a 2002 book,The Orangeburg Massacre, by journalists Jack Bass and Jack Nelson, and a 2010 documentary,Scarred Justice: The Orangeburg Massacre 1968.

And which one of those events showed that police and national guard charging into a riot and cracking heads worked out well?
ALL of them. None of them had arson, looting, assault & battery, like the Baltimore riot monday night. That what is defined as "well".

And in case you may not know t, there are people who are in critical condition right now, as a result of the the actions of the rioters, and the negligence of the mayor. If they die, some of those people could be charged with various levels of homicide.

From wikipedia, concerning the Chicago Riots in 1968: "Rioters and police in Chicago, Illinois were particularly aggressive, and the damage was severe.[2] Of the 39 people who died, 34 were black. Chicago, Illinois, Baltimore, Maryland and Washington, D.C. experienced some of the worst riots. In Chicago, more than 48 hours of rioting left 11 Chicago citizens dead, 48 wounded by police gunfire, 90 policemen injured, and 2,150 people arrested.[3] Two miles of Austin on West Madison Street were left in a state of rubble."

The riots in Harlem in 1964 lasted for 6 days and nights. So you think the police handled that one well? Plus is was a contributing factor to other major riots all over the country.

Your ideas of how to handle riots have been tried and failed miserably. If you were there you should know this.

In both of those cases, the riots, looting, burning, (and the beating of random motorists through the area in the case of Watts) had begun BEFORE the police were called in. Are you really trying to argue that if the police and national guard had NOT gone in the rioting, looting, burning, and random beating of innocents wouldn't have happened "as much" or something?

What is the purpose of the police force if I might ask?

ALL of them. None of them had arson, looting, assault & battery, like the Baltimore riot monday night. That what is defined as "well".

What???

The Watts riots make the Baltimore riots look like a garden party. There were more fires and looting.

The Harlem riots in 1964 involved plenty of fires and looting. So did many other riots.

Your claims to the contrary are either proof you weren't there or outright lies. You pick which one.

...a demonstration against a segregated bowling alley that ended with 30 unarmed black students shot by white police, three of them fatally. Sellers was wounded in the armpit.

that would change the nation, yet for decades it got little attention. Now, scholars and people like Sellers with first-hand accounts are changing that.

Today, academics, students and others meet in South Carolina for a three-day conference at the College of Charleston. They'll discuss the black power movement and the legacy of the Orangeburg Massacre. Sellers is one of the speakers.

The conference comes after a 2002 book,The Orangeburg Massacre, by journalists Jack Bass and Jack Nelson, and a 2010 documentary,Scarred Justice: The Orangeburg Massacre 1968.
OFF TOPIC!

In both of those cases, the riots, looting, burning, (and the beating of random motorists through the area in the case of Watts) had begun BEFORE the police were called in. Are you really trying to argue that if the police and national guard had NOT gone in the rioting, looting, burning, and random beating of innocents wouldn't have happened "as much" or something?

What is the purpose of the police force if I might ask?

I made no such claim. But the riots lasted 6 days. Police were there the whole time, and the national guard were there most of it.

I am making no claims that it would have been less if the cops had not been there. But sending in force and "kicking ass" has obviously not worked in large riots in the past. To think that is the only answer is to ignore history and the facts.

OFF TOPIC!

Not off topic at all. He is showing solid evidence from previous protests and the police activity involved.

What???

The Watts riots make the Baltimore riots look like a garden party. There were more fires and looting.

The Harlem riots in 1964 involved plenty of fires and looting. So did many other riots.

Your claims to the contrary are either proof you weren't there or outright lies. You pick which one.
1. I didn't mention the Watts riots, and the destruction of it occured BEFORE the cops and Guard got involved.

2. I was there at the Harlem riot in 1964. We (National Guard) were there with fixed bayonets, and we disbursed the street crowds, and gave the police the time and ability to go after the roofttop rock throwers and arrest them. You're not going to lecture me on Harlem in 1964.

Forum List

Back