🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Baltimore Cops Should Have Kicked Ass!

Just "kicking ass" won't solve this problem, what are you 11 years old?

No, he is way older than 11. He just has some issues. He thinks violent reactions by the gov't will solve problems better than any other tactic. It is a common theme in his threads. That and yelling "OFF TOPIC!". lol

Here is the "kick ass" approach in all its glory

Orangeburg Massacre stirs debate 44 years later USATODAY.com

...a demonstration against a segregated bowling alley that ended with 30 unarmed black students shot by white police, three of them fatally. Sellers was wounded in the armpit.

It was the most brutal response yet to student protests
that would change the nation, yet for decades it got little attention. Now, scholars and people like Sellers with first-hand accounts are changing that.

Today, academics, students and others meet in South Carolina for a three-day conference at the College of Charleston. They'll discuss the black power movement and the legacy of the Orangeburg Massacre. Sellers is one of the speakers.

The conference comes after a 2002 book,The Orangeburg Massacre, by journalists Jack Bass and Jack Nelson, and a 2010 documentary,Scarred Justice: The Orangeburg Massacre 1968.
OFF TOPIC!

Not off topic at all. He is showing solid evidence from previous protests and the police activity involved.
It's off topic. The topic is the Baltimore riot of Monday April 27, 2015, and they mayor's foolish policy of police stand-down.

Just "kicking ass" won't solve this problem, what are you 11 years old?

No, he is way older than 11. He just has some issues. He thinks violent reactions by the gov't will solve problems better than any other tactic. It is a common theme in his threads. That and yelling "OFF TOPIC!". lol
It's not what I think. It's what I KNOW, from experience. The mayor's stand down policy is what escalated the rioting. Once the rioters saw they were not going to be stopped, or even interfered with, they went ahead and did all they felt like doing. To them it was a party, with little or no reference to Freddie Gray, or anything ideological. Just a bunch of young, wild dogs sowing their wild oats, with no opposition.

And which one of those events showed that police and national guard charging into a riot and cracking heads worked out well?
ALL of them. None of them had arson, looting, assault & battery, like the Baltimore riot monday night. That what is defined as "well".

What???

The Watts riots make the Baltimore riots look like a garden party. There were more fires and looting.

The Harlem riots in 1964 involved plenty of fires and looting. So did many other riots.

Your claims to the contrary are either proof you weren't there or outright lies. You pick which one.
1. I didn't mention the Watts riots, and the destruction of it occured BEFORE the cops and Guard got involved.

2. I was there at the Harlem riot in 1964. We (National Guard) were there with fixed bayonets, and we disbursed the street crowds, and gave the police the time and ability to go after the roofttop rock throwers and arrest them. You're not going to lecture me on Harlem in 1964.

The Harlem Riots lasted 6 days. If the national guard disbursed the crowds, why did it last so long? And why was there still plenty of looting?

And it is a fact that the Harlem riots precipitated riots in many other cities. Part of that was teh reaction by the gov't.

And no, the destruction in the watts riots did not happen before the police and national guard were called in. The police were involved the entire time. The 2,300 national guard joined the Los Angeles police effort to quell the riot on August the 13th. The riot had only started on the 11th. It lasted until the 17th. So peddle your lies somewhere else.

Are we really saying that if rioters start looting, burning, and beating random people the police are supposed to "give them room" and let them do whatever they want until they're done destroying other peoples lives?

That is not acceptable, sorry. I pay not only for police to arrest the criminal elements of our society, but to protect me/my interests, and maintain some semblance of order in the streets that /I/ might happen to be driving on. Of course, my part of that is that I'm not going to go to an area of town that's being rioting on purpose, of course if it erupts around my fucking house damn straight I expect the police to come get them away from my home.

To argue that because police show up the shit hit the fan, when in reality the shit hit the fan, which is why the police came in is just... stupid, sorry.

...a demonstration against a segregated bowling alley that ended with 30 unarmed black students shot by white police, three of them fatally. Sellers was wounded in the armpit.

that would change the nation, yet for decades it got little attention. Now, scholars and people like Sellers with first-hand accounts are changing that.

Today, academics, students and others meet in South Carolina for a three-day conference at the College of Charleston. They'll discuss the black power movement and the legacy of the Orangeburg Massacre. Sellers is one of the speakers.

The conference comes after a 2002 book,The Orangeburg Massacre, by journalists Jack Bass and Jack Nelson, and a 2010 documentary,Scarred Justice: The Orangeburg Massacre 1968.
OFF TOPIC!

Not off topic at all. He is showing solid evidence from previous protests and the police activity involved.
It's off topic. The topic is the Baltimore riot of Monday April 27, 2015, and they mayor's foolish policy of police stand-down.

And showing the ineffectiveness of such tactics, by reminding people of prior events is certainly ON TOPIC!

The way you narrow the focus essentially means this thread is ONLY for those who agree that someone's ass [you do not say whose] should get kicked by the Police...
Baltimore Cops Should Have Kicked Ass!for those who agree only

Yeah, the Kent State events were certainly well managed.

And the police action and National Guard actions were so effective in the Watts riots, weren't they?

Once it devolves to rioting, attacking the rioters is just going to escalate the problems.

In both of those cases, the riots, looting, burning, (and the beating of random motorists through the area in the case of Watts) had begun BEFORE the police were called in. Are you really trying to argue that if the police and national guard had NOT gone in the rioting, looting, burning, and random beating of innocents wouldn't have happened "as much" or something?

What is the purpose of the police force if I might ask?

I made no such claim. But the riots lasted 6 days. Police were there the whole time, and the national guard were there most of it.

I am making no claims that it would have been less if the cops had not been there. But sending in force and "kicking ass" has obviously not worked in large riots in the past. To think that is the only answer is to ignore history and the facts.
YOU are who is ignoring history and the facts, probably because you weren't at these riots, and know little about them.

Are we really saying that if rioters start looting, burning, and beating random people the police are supposed to "give them room" and let them do whatever they want until they're done destroying other peoples lives?

That is not acceptable, sorry. I pay not only for police to arrest the criminal elements of our society, but to protect me/my interests, and maintain some semblance of order in the streets that /I/ might happen to be driving on. Of course, my part of that is that I'm not going to go to an area of town that's being rioting on purpose, of course if it erupts around my fucking house damn straight I expect the police to come get them away from my home.

To argue that because police show up the shit hit the fan, when in reality the shit hit the fan, which is why the police came in is just... stupid, sorry.

Not what I am saying at all. But charging in with fixed bayonets and beating people down is certainly not going to quell a riot like this. It aggravates the situation. Working to contain the violence and drawing lines to hold the rioters in and closing it down is a far more effective strategy.

OFF TOPIC!

And showing the ineffectiveness of such tactics, by reminding people of prior events is certainly ON TOPIC!
I've already reported him for his numerous derails going off topic. I'll let the mods decide it, although they tend to be rather ineffective in this forum (as he probably well knows)

Yeah, the Kent State events were certainly well managed.

And the police action and National Guard actions were so effective in the Watts riots, weren't they?

Once it devolves to rioting, attacking the rioters is just going to escalate the problems.

In both of those cases, the riots, looting, burning, (and the beating of random motorists through the area in the case of Watts) had begun BEFORE the police were called in. Are you really trying to argue that if the police and national guard had NOT gone in the rioting, looting, burning, and random beating of innocents wouldn't have happened "as much" or something?

What is the purpose of the police force if I might ask?

I made no such claim. But the riots lasted 6 days. Police were there the whole time, and the national guard were there most of it.

I am making no claims that it would have been less if the cops had not been there. But sending in force and "kicking ass" has obviously not worked in large riots in the past. To think that is the only answer is to ignore history and the facts.
YOU are who is ignoring history and the facts, probably because you weren't at these riots, and know little about them.

I know enough not to claim that the looting and burning in Watts happened before the cops and national guard were called in.

I know enough not to claim there was no looting or burning in the Harlem or Chicago riots.

OFF TOPIC!

I've already reported him for his numerous derails going off topic. I'll let the mods decide it, although they tend to be rather ineffective in this forum (as he probably well knows)

Including discussion of tactics used in other riots is perfectly logical and on topic. Maybe the reason the mods ignore you is because you are full of shit, and are only whining because you are getting slapped around.

Lets see what happens ...whether you can narrow the focus of discussion in such a gross way as to preclude any dissident opinions ....

The way you narrow the focus essentially means this thread is ONLY for those who agree that someone's ass [you do not say whose] should get kicked by the Police...
Doesn't mean that at all. If anyone is so clueless as to agree with the mayor's Monday night methodology (which even she has now renounced, & changed on Tuesday), they are free to express their foolishness as much as they like. :laugh:
geez.gif

Doesn't mean that at all. If anyone is so clueless as to agree with the mayor's Monday night methodology (which even she has now renounced, & changed on Tuesday), they are free to express their foolishness as much as they like. :laugh:
geez.gif
the situation is complex and is not amenable to simplistic "kick ass " approaches favored by the right when dealing with Black folks...that is whose ass you are calling for to be kicked...

OFF TOPIC!

Including discussion of tactics used in other riots is perfectly logical and on topic. Maybe the reason the mods ignore you is because you are full of shit, and are only whining because you are getting slapped around.
HA HA. You have a habit of pretending things. Same old WB. Lots of people have complained about the lack of moderation in USMB. It's well known for that, and I suspect you know it full well.

On the afternoon when the rioting had just started I said the city should declare a curfew that very night and I called for banning the sale of liquor/alcohol in bars and shops within the impacted area and I also called for banning the sale of gasoline in containers. I also would have put the Police on Alpha/Beta shift or 12 hrs on/12 off to enhance Police presence I think that would have been common sense and not "ass kicking"

the situation is complex and is not amenable to simplistic "kick ass " approaches favored by the right when dealing with Black folks...that is whose ass you are calling for to be kicked...

AGAIN, (and again) you keep trying to make the topic be what you want it to be be. Sorry. You can't get away with that. The TOPIC is not about YOUR topic of "dealing with Black folks" It is about dealing with destructive rioters (looters, arsonists, vandals, rock throwers, etc), whoever they may be. (as I've said about 10 times by now)

geez.gif

The mayors strategy was nuts. I am not arguing that. But charging in and kicking ass is not going to work either.

History has clearly shown that.

Forum List

Back