Barrel find

Shawnee_b

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2019
South Central KY
Sometimes an idea starts with an egg. The egg is a 22K Hornet cartridge/s I had laying around. So a search for a barrel. There are many ways to go but I found this used barrel and it turns out to be a cool find. Designing a singleshot falling block (prob a side lever not under) to take the bbl.

Only 2 markings, the logo and date on the barrel ( 9-26) and the 22K hornet marking which is not factory. It also has a steppe at the end of the barrel like mil rifles for a bayo ring. Any info, input appreciated.

It's not crossed cannons, Springfield Armory's current logo but I believe SA possibly made these barrels (.224) and end users marked and chambered them?
gXG8Fkh.jpg
0spMRvE.jpg
Mt97boE.jpg

Nice! I expect a full range report when you get that baby operational, including pictures including 1/2" groups at 100 yards. :04:

This is from a Springfield M1903

Screenshot_20220719-115902~2.png

Last edited:
"It's generally conceded that the Hornet as we know it, emerged in the 1920s from work carried on by military ballisticians at Springfield Armory. According to most, the first Hornet rifle was a rebored Model 1922 Springfield; according to Waters, it was a Martini action fitted with a Model 1922 barrel."

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/the-22-k-hornet

Sometimes an idea starts with an egg. The egg is a 22K Hornet cartridge/s I had laying around. So a search for a barrel. There are many ways to go but I found this used barrel and it turns out to be a cool find. Designing a singleshot falling block (prob a side lever not under) to take the bbl.

Only 2 markings, the logo and date on the barrel ( 9-26) and the 22K hornet marking which is not factory. It also has a steppe at the end of the barrel like mil rifles for a bayo ring. Any info, input appreciated.

It's not crossed cannons, Springfield Armory's current logo but I believe SA possibly made these barrels (.224) and end users marked and chambered them?
gXG8Fkh.jpg
0spMRvE.jpg
Mt97boE.jpg

That is super cool.

Here ya go...

Yes!!! Good job!! You nailed it and that's cool the hornet even started with SA. I didn't think hornet was that old but never checked. In 60, Unc was going to trade in on a hornet, very popular for chucks then.

"It's generally conceded that the Hornet as we know it, emerged in the 1920s from work carried on by military ballisticians at Springfield Armory. According to most, the first Hornet rifle was a rebored Model 1922 Springfield; according to Waters, it was a Martini action fitted with a Model 1922 barrel."

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/the-22-k-hornet

Funny that besides the falling block side lever type rec, I am considering a Martini type action. I'd rather build the rec but I'm open.

Forum List

Back