Baseball is dying

As boring as baseball can be at times soccer is a million times worse.

The World Cup is unwatchable
A team goes up 1-0 and then just sits on the ball for 60 minutes

Reminds me of Basketball before they got a shot clock

As boring as baseball can be at times soccer is a million times worse.

The World Cup is unwatchable
A team goes up 1-0 and then just sits on the ball for 60 minutes

Reminds me of Basketball before they got a shot clock

My sons tried soccer when they were little. The kids didn't like playing it very much and the parents sure as hell thought it was boring.

When a bomber like JD Martinez has only one real FA offer (Boston), it's pretty obvious MLB owners are "colluding" to shred the money merry-go-round. Two years ago JD would have fetched $25-$30 for 5 years although he's now almost 31 and a lousy outfielder....You don't pay a DH that kind of money. Detroit never even offered him a contract with Miggy starting to wear out at $30M a year for 5 more years. They got jobbed on the Zimmerman contract too which is why they had to trade Verlander....domino theory to get under the cap tax. Detroit now has several good cheap, young position players and a stable of lights-out pitching prospects who will start appearing in the Show, possibly at the Sept. call up. And as it turns out, they don't STINK this year as predicted...not the crowds they drew a few years back (3M) but not bad. This is how MLB will be now....grow your own and keep your stars happy with decent (2-3 years) but not crazy contracts that never seem to work out.

It's always been hard for me to get into watching baseball. I like to play it, but watching a major league game? eh. I'd rather watch my friends I grew up with. :alcoholic:

It's always been hard for me to get into watching baseball. I like to play it, but watching a major league game? eh. I'd rather watch my friends I grew up with. :alcoholic:

It's all about how entertaining the announcers are for me.....I never miss a game (got a MLB subscription for Tigers games) when Gibson is in the booth....he's fucking crazy and fun as hell to listen to...he also points out things I never knew after watching almost 60 years of baseball. There's too much inter-division play too....I might go nuts over the year watching them play Cleveland, then Minnesota, then KC...BOring. So I advocate for more inter-league play to see the DBacks, Mets, Reds, etc. and GET RID OF PITCHERS BATTING....who needs to see some hurler bunt or whiff on 3 pitches? not me.

It's all about how entertaining the announcers are for me.....I never miss a game (got a MLB subscription for Tigers games) when Gibson is in the booth....he's fucking crazy and fun as hell to listen to...he also points out things I never knew after watching almost 60 years of baseball. There's too much inter-division play too....I might go nuts over the year watching them play Cleveland, then Minnesota, then KC...BOring. So I advocate for more inter-league play to see the DBacks, Mets, Reds, etc. and GET RID OF PITCHERS BATTING....who needs to see some hurler bunt or whiff on 3 pitches? not me.
DH blows

MLB Attendance Drops to Lowest Average In 15 Years

Baseball has the lowest attendance in over 15 years.

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with watching the really good teams play there horrible teams, or worse, you have two really bad teams play that no one cares about. Never before in the history of baseball has there been such a payroll discrepancy. You have your rich teams and poor teams. How can a team like the Devil Rays compete with a team like the Yankees when the Yankees spend more money on their bull pen than the Rays spend on their entire team?

It's just not working and people know it. The movie "Moneyball" is a good movie to watch to understand this issue, which was created by the baseball unions since the last strike.

Other factors, the game is too boring for fans today and weather probably also have an effect, as well as rising admission rates and concession prices.

So there is it, the best sport ever created and it is dying. I reckon nothing lasts forever.

I think it’s the cost. In 1980 my Angels season tickets behind home plate up next to the press box was $2 a seat. Today you’re looking at $150 for a family of 4 to see a game from nose bleed centerfield.

Corporations have bought most of the seats today, little guy can’t compete.

Good grief, gasp, we agree on something.

Dynamic pricing makes the same seat up to $25 higher when the Dodgers come to The City than when an also ran comes to town. I'm in a group which buys season tickets and each ticket is the same price in the package, but on the individual ticket there is a different price.

For example my ticket to a Dodger Game is $45 and my ticket to the game against San Diego is $21. Each ticket in the season ticket package provides a $5 discount on food or beverage, the average person who goes to one or two games a season is disadvantaged.

You're living in the past in politics and baseball. Fans want to see HITTING so why should an NL team get a DH in AL parks and not vice-versa? AL starting pitchers bat maybe 20 times a season at NL parks.....not that pitchers can hit, with the rare exception, so it's 3 minutes of boredom....I go for refreshments. NL starting pitchers bat 2 or 3 times a game in say 25-30 starts.....unfair advantage. All the minor leagues and colleges use the DH last I heard....only the relics like you hate the DH.

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with watching the really good teams play there horrible teams, or worse, you have two really bad teams play that no one cares about. Never before in the history of baseball has there been such a payroll discrepancy. You have your rich teams and poor teams. How can a team like the Devil Rays compete with a team like the Yankees when the Yankees spend more money on their bull pen than the Rays spend on their entire team?

It's just not working and people know it. The movie "Moneyball" is a good movie to watch to understand this issue, which was created by the baseball unions since the last strike.

Other factors, the game is too boring for fans today and weather probably also have an effect, as well as rising admission rates and concession prices.

So there is it, the best sport ever created and it is dying. I reckon nothing lasts forever.

Also playing the game during the weekdays does not help either.

Play it Friday, Saturday and Sunday with twin bills on Saturday and Sunday.

Why?

Baseball sucked since George Steinbrenner died

How about a 3 ball walk, a 2 strike strikeout and two fouls with 1 strike is a strikeout?

How about a 3 ball walk, a 2 strike strikeout and two fouls with 1 strike is a strikeout?

I'd keep balls and strikes traditional but I'd call four FOUL balls a strikeout same as softball. Announcers call a 10 pitch AB "good" with plenty of foul balls.....stupid. If the putz can't strike the ball into fair territory in 4 tries he's out.

I was never really into baseball but decided last year I'd give it a fair shake.
And the Stros won it all!!

Watching a losing team sucks but with the bats Houston has there's plenty of scoring to keep things interesting.

I'd keep balls and strikes traditional but I'd call four FOUL balls a strikeout same as softball. Announcers call a 10 pitch AB "good" with plenty of foul balls.....stupid. If the putz can't strike the ball into fair territory in 4 tries he's out.

I could agree with that.
It would also lesson the impact on the pitcher.

If you want to speed up the game, you're going to have to think outside the box. Sorry about the cliché.

I was never really into baseball but decided last year I'd give it a fair shake.

Watching a losing team sucks but with the bats Houston has there's plenty of scoring to keep things interesting.

PLUS Verlander is always apt to throw a no-no....he put tens of thousands extra asses in the seats when he pitched in Detroit. We hope to get him back in 2020 when his contract is up.

want to speed up the game, you're going to have to think outside the box. Sorry about the cliché.

They're trying....limited mound visits this year....automatic intentional walk.....supposedly faster replay reviews which could be faster if they didn't get them from NEW YORK WTF? Use the golf cart to bring in relief pitchers ending in spinning a dounut on the pitcher's mound. Beisbol is a passtime....not intended to be frantic like basketball or too mind-numbing like football. Game within the game within the game.

PLUS Verlander is always apt to throw a no-no....he put tens of thousands extra asses in the seats when he pitched in Detroit. We hope to get him back in 2020 when his contract is up.

He went for the Stros because he wanted a chance to win the World Series and damned if he didnt win one.
He'd be 36 by then so he could play a bit longer.
Plus I could see him wanting to end his career in Detroit.

He went for the Stros because he wanted a chance to win the World Series and damned if he didnt win one.
He'd be 36 by then so he could play a bit longer.
Plus I could see him wanting to end his career in Detroit.

Yep, for all he did in Detroit it's a shame he didn't get a ring there...they went to the WS twice but terrible managing destroyed them. If we can get Verlander back, I'd like to see him be a CLOSER....if he only had to throw one inning he could bring back the 102 mph steam and closers get good dough....not that he needs it. If he can go into the HOF wearing a Tiger cap, the circle would be unbroken.

Forum List

Back