Be a Part of the Solution

The problem in many classrooms is that lessons and the pace of study are directed at the lowest performing students.
We really need a three-tier system of education where motivated and capable students can proceed a their own pace, allowing them to cover more material.
Students that have difficulty learning can be given additional support with less stringent graduation requirements.
Those students not interested in a academic education should be sent to a vocational school or military school.

High school is just a step towards adulthood. Teach kids how to think and not just do rote memorization to pass test.

Teachers need to find a way to show the kids the WIIFM, give them a reason to give a shit about what they are being taught.

My daughter was a terrible high school student as she had no buy into what was being taught and wanted nothing more than to be done with it. Fast forward 10 years and she is brining in close to 200 grand a year because she found something that she was actually interested in.

High school is just a step towards adulthood. Teach kids how to think and not just do rote memorization to pass test.

Teachers need to find a way to show the kids the WIIFM, give them a reason to give a shit about what they are being taught.

My daughter was a terrible high school student as she had no buy into what was being taught and wanted nothing more than to be done with it. Fast forward 10 years and she is brining in close to 200 grand a year because she found something that she was actually interested in.
Public schools are losing students to private and charter schools.

Of course they can be taught. Just depends on how you approach it. You can't teach or tell them what to think, but you can teach them how to think.
Critical thinking is for those whose brains are fully developed.

Last edited:
At their age and experience level it would just be an intellectual exercise.

And??? How is that any different than teaching them how to think for themselves and not follow the crowd?

Exercising the brain muscle is just as important as any other at any age or experience level.

Ideas that will help build confidence and self-esteem for your students:
  • Have your ESL students make a list of 3 things they don't like about themselves and have them give a few sentences as to why and what they can do about it. (Don't let them know they'll be reading it to the class the next day.) The next day, have them read out loud to the class what they wrote down. Between the readings, have the class respond to what their school mate said. Reason being, the way they see themselves is vastly different from the way others see them.
  • Tell your students that they'll have a "secret" assignment where they'll be writing about something they admire about another classmate, but that they must keep the person they are writing about a secret. Put all the students' names in a box, give each student a name, and have them write about what they admire about that person. Nothing negative, has to be positive.

And??? How is that any different than teaching them how to think for themselves and not follow the crowd?

Exercising the brain muscle is just as important as any other at any age or experience level.
Young people always follow the crowd no matter how 'smart' they are. Also, their brains aren't fully developed until they are in their mid-twenties, and even then they don't have enough knowledge or experience to make the best decisions. Even then they have to be guided to the problems that others have convinced them are important, when they usually aren't.

People are unable to make simple, logical decisions, never mind those that might require 'critical thinking' skills.

I'm not saying you're wrong.

I'm just saying either way, teachers lose. I mean look at the responses in this thread.

I guess most everyone had a bad experience with a teacher at some point in their lives. Mine were the grade school teacher who whacked me on the hand with a ruler for using my fingers to count. High school had the teachers who gave more attention to the bright students. College was that young, liberal, elitist English teacher who talked down to everyone and made us read books that had nothing to do with anything.

I didn't particularly like school, and dropped out of HS in my last year. I got the GED in the Army, went to college for two years, then quit. I saw no future in being a music teacher, and was playing in a rock band at the time.

Then I went to a trade school, became a bricklayer for 12 years. While doing that, I went to a technical institute at nights, got an Associate's Degree, and became an electronics bench tech. The tech school became a legitimate University and I ended up working there for 15 years, until I reached burnout.

Forum List

Back