Belief in a God, the existence of a higher power, and the concept of an afterlife. Science or Religion?

I dunno, lots of people believe it.
Well, of course, else the myth would not persist in the current day. We would perhaps be talking about the Greek Gods instead of Christianity, or Islam. Or Zoroaster. Many myths have persisted; that's not a unique trait for a myth. All notable myths persist, appreciably. Inherently.

Why, they don't have the answers that are needed (they won't find them in the asteroid dust either). ;)

Correct...that's why we call it faith and not an absolute. There is a belief associated with that.

For some reason we can't believe that God exists.....

But people can believe that the food they are eating is safe (they don't test it themselves....they take someone's word for it).

Why, they don't have the answers that are needed (they won't find them in the asteroid dust either). ;)

We don't even know we need answers.

Up until Hubble, we had no clue just how much was out there.

And, in spite of the fact that it was taught as an absolute that protons and neutrons along with electrons were the absolute smallest things there were (and we model elections differently than we used to).....we now know differently. Much much differently.

And in the late 1800's everything that was going to be invented was already invented.

Funny how the story keeps changing.

I dunno, lots of people believe it.

Tell him that his great great grandparents were a myth too. He only knows about them (if he does) because someone told him about them. So was the war of 1812. They are all myths if we are not allowed to believe what historians have written.

Negative energy in the universe can balance that equation.
Sounds good. In reality, all energy is potential. Positive and negative are sign conventions of little practical value once things get set up. What tends to matter is where to plug stuff in and how much power is available. Einstein had "to rethink the fundamental laws of physics" when he wrote E=mc^2. He didn't think about it enough. Energy and mass are obviously related. Both constantly being created and destroyed. Don't worry, I'll grab my parting gifts at the door.

Religion is primarily a set of moral and ethical codes, among other things, and is more needed today than science.
No, it's not.

Religion is how the elite control the poor.

The promise of a delightful afterlife in return for unquestioned obedience in this one.

That's why #1 is ...
"I am the Lord your God. You shall have no other god before me."
and why what should be the foundation of all religions
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Is forgotten by most religions.

Soooooooo.....you were there ?
No.
Neither was the guy who wrote Exodus
I also wasn't there when a lady was turned to salt, a tower to the heavens was built, or the Nile turned to blood.
Then again, neither was anyone else.

'Tis the nature of myth.

Science can create lightning in a lab, so why can't they take a blob of sea foam, zap it with lightning and create life?
Maybe we don't know enough yet

Tell me is everything humans can't understand necessarily the work of a god?

Are humans so arrogant that we just cannot even conceive of anything we might not understand?

The answer to that btw is yes.

I struggled with where, what forum (Science or Religion and Ethics), to put this: "Belief in a God, the existence of a higher power, and the concept of an afterlife. Science or Religion?"

Here we are...

Somebody said "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist."(1)

I believe some people unknowingly, and some people purposefully conflate spontaneous creation with spontaneous generation, which takes any discussion of scientific theories into debating religion as somehow being just another scientific theory. There exits no science behind claims religions make for why we and the universe exists.

We now have scientists claiming they've created matter from nothing in a groundbreaking experiment. If they have, their claims can be proven by successfully repeating any experiment.

1: Stephen Hawking
Those statements are based on a hypothetical scenario that has not yet been proven or verified. As of now, the creation of particle-antiparticle pairs from nothing is a theoretical concept that has not been experimentally confirmed.

The Schwinger effect, proposed by Julian Schwinger, suggests that under extremely strong electric fields, particle-antiparticle pairs can be spontaneously created from the vacuum. While research in this area continues, there is still much to learn and confirm before such claims can be considered as scientific facts.

In terms of this formula here : E = mc^2 , everything exists in a form of matter or energy. That means anything cannot be created by nothing. Yes, nothing can be created by nothing. Right, anything must be created by something. Energy can turn into mass and vice versa.

However, in extra or higher dimensions where God probably exists, the physical laws may break down! lol. 😁😁😁

Those things were the subjects of codified laws before the Bible was written
The moral codes of religion transcend those laws. Regarding similar secular laws, don't we still have those problems? What good is a law if it's not written in your heart and conscience? And, what good is any law if it's not enforced by the agencies that proscribe it? It's not churchgoing people that are breaking those laws wholesale.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back