Belief in a God, the existence of a higher power, and the concept of an afterlife. Science or Religion?

If it had a beginning, could it be infinite? I'm thinking not. Of course that does not mean it won't be eternally expanding though. But still not quite the same thing.

But... given that you can never reach the edge because of the curvature of space, it is infinite in that sense, like a circle is infinite in that sense. But still... not quite the same thing.

Bottom line... no, I don't see how the universe can be infinite.

"Is space infinite?"

I guess I'll go with " "Infinite" refers to something with no limit, while "eternal" refers to something that lasts forever and has no beginning or end."

I need to go here first:

"Is space Infinite NASA?" -- "If space has no curvature (i.e, it is flat), there is exactly enough mass to cause the expansion to stop, but only after an infinite amount of time. Thus, the universe has no bounds and will also expand forever, but with the rate of expansion gradually approaching zero after an infinite amount of time."

I was a strong follower of Joseph Campbell when he lived. He was a philosopher of note in the SF Bay area and a joy to watch his programs on tv.
I was gifted two of his tomes before the Bill Moyers tv specials. A dear friend was a graduate student in some theology program (he was Orthodox Greek), and although I was seriously rough-around-the-edges, true intellects and people knew I was more intellectual than most. SO gifts I got during my younger years were always texts books or tomes written by ...

Being autodidact:

"adjective. relating to or being a person who learns or has learned a subject without the benefit of a teacher or formal education; self-taught: I am self-motivated, self-sufficient, and autodidactic—all products of a childhood on an Alaskan homestead."

Most of my younger years, I was usually gifted books.

I have issues with most followers of JC. Why? Because I was never taught how to think of him, how to process his works...

Most of my younger years, I was usually gifted books.

I have issues with most followers of JC. Why? Because I was never taught how to think of him, how to process his works...
Joseph was a rare human being. He was so good he had a program on TV. And like any philosopher, he said things that could be criticized. Some of his teachings I took to heart. I wanted to touch his spirt in his mind is why.

It is very good to be self educated as you say you are. I do not quarrel at all with people like that. Not about things they know about.

For those who do not know about Joseph Campbell, let's listen to Bill Moyers talk about him.

"Is space infinite?"

I guess I'll go with " "Infinite" refers to something with no limit, while "eternal" refers to something that lasts forever and has no beginning or end."

I need to go here first:

"Is space Infinite NASA?" -- "If space has no curvature (i.e, it is flat), there is exactly enough mass to cause the expansion to stop, but only after an infinite amount of time. Thus, the universe has no bounds and will also expand forever, but with the rate of expansion gradually approaching zero after an infinite amount of time."

So that seems to be what I am saying when I say the universe is eternal into the future. It would be infinite if it was eternal into the past and eternal into the future.

I was never a fan of "bullets returning to the barrel" after being fired. So I never got on board with the "clever" concept of a big crunch. The thing I don't get is how they don't recognize (at least from what I have read) that the force for expansion was the massive storm of paired particle annihilations.

Sure are. None of it was "done for a reason".

Unless you believe in a designer with intent.

As I said.
That's a philosophical discussion. Science can only study what was created. But if I were to have that philosophical discussion it wouldn't start with a designer, it would start with a creator. A creator that willed the material world into existence and imparted it with its "invisible" attributes.

About the definition of the word purpose? It is not.
I've already addressed that.

The definition of purpose is the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists. The definition of reason is a cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event. We live in a logical universe where every effect had a cause. Things happen for reasons and serve a purpose. As much as you would like to believe everything is random and accidental, the evidence suggests otherwise. There is reason and purpose in the evolution of space and time. Nothing happened that did not have a reason, everything is connected and serves a purpose in the evolution of space and time. And we can use science to discover the order within nature so as to be able to make predictions of nature.

Forum List

Back