Belief in a God, the existence of a higher power, and the concept of an afterlife. Science or Religion?

Yes, things might not know about.

This concept has only recently emerged from forgotten shelves.

Please try to make yourself look smart when it is clear you are not.
But the concept of dark energy is used to explanation observed phenomena that require an energy input. Like, expansion of the universe.

This net zero event in the OP doesn't require that.

So that analogy is far off the mark.

Many people do not refer to a diety anymore, or to any god. Many now claim to believe in something greater -- out there (whatever that is supposed to men), and other superstitious beliefs.

Well, this made no sense.

That fact that man can't comprehend God isn't his fault.

Something greater ? What metrics are you using ? I am really curious to know just how you come up with this sillyness.

Well, this made no sense.

That fact that man can't comprehend God isn't his fault.

Something greater ? What metrics are you using ? I am really curious to know just how you come up with this sillyness.
You'd have to ask the people who spout those beliefs. I do not speak for nor answer to them.

But the concept of dark energy is used to explanation observed phenomena that require an energy input. Like, expansion of the universe.

This net zero event in the OP doesn't require that.

So that analogy is far off the mark.

Not at all. And it's really not up for discussion.

Dark energy is not understood. It's a recent concept used to explain things.

Meaning==> Wait for it....there might be other things we don't know about that constitute something but we simply can't detect them.

I struggled with where, what forum (Science or Religion and Ethics), to put this: "Belief in a God, the existence of a higher power, and the concept of an afterlife. Science or Religion?"

Here we are...

Somebody said "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist."(1)

I believe some people unknowingly, and some people purposefully conflate spontaneous creation with spontaneous generation, which takes any discussion of scientific theories into debating religion as somehow being just another scientific theory. There exits no science behind claims religions make for why we and the universe exists.

We now have scientists claiming they've created matter from nothing in a groundbreaking experiment. If they have, their claims can be proven by successfully repeating any experiment.

1: Stephen Hawking

The simple fact is this:

Either things can appear out of nowhere, or they can't.

If they can, then God can have appeared out of nowhere.
If they can't, then God can't have appeared out of nowhere.

So the only way to have a God is if this God appeared out of nowhere. If you can have a God, you can also have a universe that created itself out of nowhere. Therefore you don't need a God anyway.

If things can't create themselves out of nowhere, then none of this stuff exists.

You'd have to ask the people who spout those beliefs. I do not speak for nor answer to them.

You just did. Saying there was "something greater" and somehow disagreeing that the being we call "God" might no more about physics that we do.

Given our time in the universe, our place on the knowledge scale, and the fact that we live on a spec that rotates around a spec in something we call a galaxy that is yet another spec.

The arrogance of your statements only demonstrated why "God" probably has a perpetual side ache laughing at us all the time.

Not at all.
That's not a compelling counterargument.

Your analogy was not a good one, sorry.
Dark energy is not understood
Nobody said it was. It may not even exist. But it is a concept used to explain observed phenomena that requires energy input. It has theoretical basis.

A net zero energy phenomenon has no such requirement.

Then I guess you can't talk about God anymore. Since you can't comprehend him. It would be like a 2 year old talking about quantum ohysics. Useless gibberish.

Right?

Except I can speculate just like you can.

The difference being that I admit to the existence of things I don't comprehend, can't see, and can't measure. I know I am human and extremely limited.

Just like your political discourse, you seem to have a different opinion of yourself.

Except I can speculate just like you can.
Sure, I can speculate that God is actually a rainbow unicorn in the 7th dimension. But it's useless gibberish.

The difference being that I admit to the existence of things I don't comprehend, can't see, and can't measure.
Which is useless gibberish. Any toddler can claim to have an imaginary pet dragon that nobody else can see. And they often do.

A net zero energy phenomenon has no such requirement.

And, in circles we go. A net energy, as we think we know energy and can measure it.....

But since there is no way to establish that there might not be other things.....I guess you'll just have to live with the fact that some people think you are stupid.

The simple fact is this:

Either things can appear out of nowhere, or they can't.

If they can, then God can have appeared out of nowhere.
If they can't, then God can't have appeared out of nowhere.

So the only way to have a God is if this God appeared out of nowhere. If you can have a God, you can also have a universe that created itself out of nowhere. Therefore you don't need a God anyway.

If things can't create themselves out of nowhere, then none of this stuff exists.
God? Where and who or what is that?

Can't wait for the Religious Scientist to perform a lab experiment that produces this god.

Abracadabra, show me my god!

Poof!

Screenshot 2023-03-02 121408.png

Sure, I can speculate that God is actually a rainbow unicorn in the 7th dimension. But it's useless gibberish.

Which is useless gibberish. Any toddler can claim to have an imaginary pet dragon that nobody else can see. And they often do.

If you really think you have the entire universe in your realm of understanding, but my guest. It explains a great deal.

Just like Elvis on Pluto.....if you haven't been there, you can't absolutely claim he does not live there.

Forum List

Back