Bernie Sanders Says He Would Let Boston Marathon Bomber, Sex Predators And Murderers Vote

great.

so give 'em some guns while we're at it.
the founding fathers did not think that was a good idea, back then... so no such thing was allowed by them or the States, yet voting was allowed when in prison...

Makes sense though.... early in our creation, people were much more aware of the power of government officials, and the tyranny they could impose with their power, especially if they were corrupted by it... allowing prisoners to be heard thru their vote, when they think they have legitimate grievances with the laws or judicial system that put them there, seems like a check on the system, so to say...

I think murderers probably got the death penalty back then, via hanging, so it's likely they were not around to vote...
I read an article yesterday that I can't find now, saying there were no laws prohibiting prisoners from voting until after the Civil War, when blacks were given the right to vote. Then all of a sudden, these prohibitions sprung up. Apparently, back then there also was a large percentage of black men in prison. Times don't change all that much.
to me it simply isn't a racial issue. while *everything* these days seems to be - the fact is, you're in prison, odds are you did *something* to get there and *rights* are suspended. no guns, no voting, no tooling around town in your buick, yea, it sucks but that's prison.

all the "well this race is picked on by that race" i just don't get into. it gives a huge gray area for people to say their race guides their decisions when to me, they guide their own. if they choose to use race as a guide, that doesn't always work. that doesn't make the other person racist anymore than it makes the one doing it racist.
I never would have connected the prison voting with race if I hadn't seen that article. I have heard that rumor before but didn't know if it was true. Sad statement.
My viewpoint is that inmates are as affected by our laws as anyone else and their right for their voice to be heard should not be interfered with. This argument has nothing to do with guns, btw, so don't keep raising that issue.
but it has to do with our rights overall to me. i *do* see a difference but don't feel someone in prison has a voice in the direction of this country. not while in prison anyway. when out - unless they were in for election fraud or something then yes - they get their rights back - time served, move on.

guns are also something that even upon release many should just lose the right to have/own. again, depending on the crime but yes, that is a different issue.

as for voting and voting alone - i don't think prisoners should be allowed. to. we keep drifting to releasing people of responsibility for poor decisions and what is going to stop people from continuing to make these decisions if we keep lessening the impact of it for "human concerns".

sooner or later we have to give "tough love" - not make things easier.
Iceberg, you didn't see my earlier post, did you? The majority -- the large majority -- of inmates don't give a damn about voting. You are not going to "punish" them further by taking it away.

You have linked evidence to back that up, right?
Thanks for looking to me once again to educate you.
I’m always her for you.

Jail survey: 7 in 10 felons register as Democrats
INteresting how your link doesn't say how many felons register at all? Are you asserting that they ALL do?
Since I worked in a prison in Maine, I can tell you that the inmates who took advantage of the opportunity to vote was well under 10%. And these guys had not much else to do, and a huge flat screen in the common room of each dorm that was turned onto a news channel a good part of the day, daily paper delivered. So it isn't like they couldn't learn what the issues were.

Not all but many people in prison are poor. And the poor are a whole lot smarter than we give them credit for--they KNOW that voting isn't going to do a goddamned thing to change their world. So they shun the whole thing.
Being smart and having common-sense are two different things.
My brother went to prison and got out, then spent the rest of his life on pain-killers and collecting welfare. He had an I.Q. of 150.
He voted for Democrats because he didn't have any other option.
They kept telling him that Republicans were trying to take his benefits away.
The problem with that the state often changed how much his check was around election time to scare him into voting for Democrats.
Democrats buy votes.
They accuse Republicans of helping the rich when in fact they're helping business owners so they can create more jobs.
All Democrats want to do is make everyone poor and raise taxes.......and steal elections so they can do more of the above.
My sympathies to your brother. I have a half brother who is also in very poor health and on opiates every day. It is sad to see him suffer.
My brother died last year.....and he voted Democrat because he had no other choice (according to him)
None of his kids could afford to bury him.
They finally found a way for the state to pay to have him cremated.
I was gonna pay for it, but they said not to bother.

I’m always her for you.

INteresting how your link doesn't say how many felons register at all? Are you asserting that they ALL do?
Since I worked in a prison in Maine, I can tell you that the inmates who took advantage of the opportunity to vote was well under 10%. And these guys had not much else to do, and a huge flat screen in the common room of each dorm that was turned onto a news channel a good part of the day, daily paper delivered. So it isn't like they couldn't learn what the issues were.

Not all but many people in prison are poor. And the poor are a whole lot smarter than we give them credit for--they KNOW that voting isn't going to do a goddamned thing to change their world. So they shun the whole thing.
My brother went to prison and got out, then spent the rest of his life on pain-killers and collecting welfare. He had an I.Q. of 150.
The problem with that the state often changed how much his check was around election time to scare him into voting for Democrats.
Democrats buy votes.
They accuse Republicans of helping the rich when in fact they're helping business owners so they can create more jobs.
All Democrats want to do is make everyone poor and raise taxes.......and steal elections so they can do more of the above.
My sympathies to your brother. I have a half brother who is also in very poor health and on opiates every day. It is sad to see him suffer.
My brother died last year.....and he voted Democrat because he had no other choice (according to him)
Sorry, mud

the founding fathers did not think that was a good idea, back then... so no such thing was allowed by them or the States, yet voting was allowed when in prison...

Makes sense though.... early in our creation, people were much more aware of the power of government officials, and the tyranny they could impose with their power, especially if they were corrupted by it... allowing prisoners to be heard thru their vote, when they think they have legitimate grievances with the laws or judicial system that put them there, seems like a check on the system, so to say...

I think murderers probably got the death penalty back then, via hanging, so it's likely they were not around to vote...
I read an article yesterday that I can't find now, saying there were no laws prohibiting prisoners from voting until after the Civil War, when blacks were given the right to vote. Then all of a sudden, these prohibitions sprung up. Apparently, back then there also was a large percentage of black men in prison. Times don't change all that much.
to me it simply isn't a racial issue. while *everything* these days seems to be - the fact is, you're in prison, odds are you did *something* to get there and *rights* are suspended. no guns, no voting, no tooling around town in your buick, yea, it sucks but that's prison.

all the "well this race is picked on by that race" i just don't get into. it gives a huge gray area for people to say their race guides their decisions when to me, they guide their own. if they choose to use race as a guide, that doesn't always work. that doesn't make the other person racist anymore than it makes the one doing it racist.
I never would have connected the prison voting with race if I hadn't seen that article. I have heard that rumor before but didn't know if it was true. Sad statement.
My viewpoint is that inmates are as affected by our laws as anyone else and their right for their voice to be heard should not be interfered with. This argument has nothing to do with guns, btw, so don't keep raising that issue.
but it has to do with our rights overall to me. i *do* see a difference but don't feel someone in prison has a voice in the direction of this country. not while in prison anyway. when out - unless they were in for election fraud or something then yes - they get their rights back - time served, move on.

guns are also something that even upon release many should just lose the right to have/own. again, depending on the crime but yes, that is a different issue.

as for voting and voting alone - i don't think prisoners should be allowed. to. we keep drifting to releasing people of responsibility for poor decisions and what is going to stop people from continuing to make these decisions if we keep lessening the impact of it for "human concerns".

Iceberg, you didn't see my earlier post, did you? The majority -- the large majority -- of inmates don't give a damn about voting. You are not going to "punish" them further by taking it away.
well what, only 50-60% on average vote anyway? :) i didn't see the part about not caring and that's fine - appreciate the highlight of that. my question then is, if a majority of them don't care, why is bernie making it an issue to give them something they don't care about?

seems bernie could pick better talking points for his platform.

great.

It seems like you are implying that voting for a Democrat would be a poor decision because they are crooked or something? Are you saying that our candidates running for office are felons too or something? How could how they vote, do something that is harmful or illegal? What is it that you are protecting the country from, by not allowing them to vote?

ALL STATES allowed qualified white male prisoners to vote from the time of our founding fathers, until after the Civil War, when black men were given the right to vote in the 15th Amendment.

After 1870, Southern States began changing their laws to prevent men imprisoned from voting, then all other states but 2, Maine and Vermont, followed these southern states, and banned prisoners from voting..... they did this, because they wanted to keep mostly black men, from voting.

At the time, these black men, would have been primarily Republicans....

Maine and Vermont did not change their laws, like all other States.... not because they did not want to disenfranchise Blacks from voting, but because these 2 states had less than 1% of their population that were Black, few in prison that were Black...
great.

True. And oh how easy it would be to bestow “Felon” status upon ones political opposition. Just look at the 2nd amendment infringements people tolerate.
Why not forbid their freedom of association, their ability to speak freely, be a journalist, while we’re at it. Hey given such a precedent; we can also subject them to warrantless searches, and seizures. Even force them to house troops... Why not..?
imma gonna raise my hand and just admit you lost me here.

calling someone a "felon" doesn't make them one. works for "racist" i suppose but there is no legal course to follow to arrive there, people just do it when they don't like you.

if you're speaking of prisoners i believe they can be searched at any time. and if troops needed to stay in prison with prisoners then i guess we could look into they why's behind that.

if you're speaking of non prisoners then i have no idea where you're headed.

<waiting on energy drink to kick in>
Drink two. And reread my posts. It really isn’t too difficult...

well what, only 50-60% on average vote anyway? :) i didn't see the part about not caring and that's fine - appreciate the highlight of that. my question then is, if a majority of them don't care, why is bernie making it an issue to give them something they don't care about?

Dunno. Maybe Bernie doesn't hang with inmates much and doesn't know? It's not much different than the recent decree by Carson that they will stop illegals from living in low income housing. Only 25,000 have used that "loophole," which is a drop in the bucket, but it sounds really fine.
Not that I have a problem with it. I have had clients refused low income housing because of a prior drug conviction. If they can be shut out from living with their wife and children, it's only fair that illegals can't either.

It seems like you are implying that voting for a Democrat would be a poor decision because they are crooked or something? Are you saying that our candidates running for office are felons too or something? How could how they vote, do something that is harmful or illegal? What is it that you are protecting the country from, by not allowing them to vote?
are you saying all felons would only vote democrat so suddenly i'm trying to stop them? that's pretty fucked up. i never said a thing nor implied it about the direction you're headed. you go to prison you lose certain rights. you keep hearing what you want so you can get pissed off at some mythical shit you're already pre-pissed off about.

it's not about protecting the country, it's about losing rights / abilities when incarcerated. only YOU would make democrats the victims cause a felon can't vote for them while behind bars.

if a democrat would build a platform that focused on coming back together and *all* base rights and not just the ones their party thinks their people want AND has a platform to address REAL issues in this country (not where people piss) then i'll listen and may vote for them.

i want a focus on the country, not tearing up the other side. first to make that a *real" priority wins.

great.

True. And oh how easy it would be to bestow “Felon” status upon ones political opposition. Just look at the 2nd amendment infringements people tolerate.
Why not forbid their freedom of association, their ability to speak freely, be a journalist, while we’re at it. Hey given such a precedent; we can also subject them to warrantless searches, and seizures. Even force them to house troops... Why not..?

calling someone a "felon" doesn't make them one. works for "racist" i suppose but there is no legal course to follow to arrive there, people just do it when they don't like you.

if you're speaking of prisoners i believe they can be searched at any time. and if troops needed to stay in prison with prisoners then i guess we could look into they why's behind that.

i re-read it several times.

later.

He said he believes it is a slippery slope, once you normalize taking away a citizen's vote, then the next category of citizens you don't like or can demonize can be subject to losing their vote, as well....

i re-read it several times.

later.
What are you unclear on? Specifics?

He said he believes it is a slippery slope, once you normalize taking away a citizen's vote, then the next category of citizens you don't like or can demonize can be subject to losing their vote, as well....
you mean like taking away the right to bear arms is a slippery slope? you lose that when you go to prison so apparently there *are* rights that can and are suspended while in prison.

this picking and choosing of which rights to defend gets old to me.

That is true.

I’m always her for you.

Democrats buy votes.

Sorry for your loss.

He believes the Son of Sam should vote. Crazy Bernie is living up to his moniker.

He believes the Son of Sam should vote. Crazy Bernie is living up to his moniker.
he said prisoners should vote - people who want to mock him are pulling up extreme names to use as an example. this "proxy quoting" sure can confuse things and lead to "fake news".

Sanders and Harris calling for the Boston Bomber being allowed to vote is Trump 2020 Gold.

he said prisoners should vote - people who want to mock him are pulling up extreme names to use as an example. this "proxy quoting" sure can confuse things and lead to "fake news".
But why does Bernie want the son of Sam, Charles Manson and Boston Bomber voting?

Why does Bernie want the son of Sam, Charles Manson and Boston Bomber voting?
dunno. those are better questions for him and maybe he has more ideas around it. but i would ask him those questions and concerns before i said "bernie wants to let son of sam vote!" because that is taking what *is* said and putting "max drama" to it and i think that horse is long since dead and i'm tired of people flogging it and making every statement *extreme* in nature.

somewhere along the way we normalized the extreme. time to put things back where they belong and stop doing that.

bernie wants inmates to vote. can we clarify his position and ask for more details on that before we nail him for the statement?

that said - saying we need to rebuild america from the ground up in 10 years - ok - that's stupid from the word go.

Why does Bernie want the son of Sam, Charles Manson and Boston Bomber voting?
dunno. those are better questions for him and maybe he has more ideas around it. but i would ask him those questions and concerns before i said "bernie wants to let son of sam vote!" because that is taking what *is* said and putting "max drama" to it and i think that horse is long since dead and i'm tired of people flogging it and making every statement *extreme* in nature.

somewhere along the way we normalized the extreme. time to put things back where they belong and stop doing that.

bernie wants inmates to vote. can we clarify his position and ask for more details on that before we nail him for the statement?

that said - saying we need to rebuild america from the ground up in 10 years - ok - that's stupid from the word go.
Bernie and Harris are calling for Charles Manson to vote.

Maybe they should think for a change if they think that’s not a good idea.

Forum List

Back