Best baseball player ever.

This bleacher report list is a joke. First it includes steroid players, which is impossible to do. Then it has Hank Aaron as # 3 and Willie Mays as #2. This is ahead of far superior players such as Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Lou Gehrig, Jimmy Foxx and Manny Ramirez, all with much higher lifetime batting averages, and better home run averages. (at bats per home run).

Also topping Mays and Aaron in these categories are :

Frank Thomas, Hank Greenberg, Mike Trout, and Mike Piazza.

It was a great achievement for Aaron and Mays to have hit so many home runs, but what must be taken into consideration simultaneously, is the enormous number of at bats they had. At 12,364 ABs, Aaron had more than anyone in baseball history, except Pete Rose. Mays was 13th all-time with 10,881.

Ted Williams (7706 ABs) had only 62% as many ABs as Aaron.
Wow.... maybe they are just going off name recognition. Lots of sports writers are terrible lol

This bleacher report list is a joke. First it includes steroid players, which is impossible to do. Then it has Hank Aaron as # 3 and Willie Mays as #2. This is ahead of far superior players such as Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Lou Gehrig, Jimmy Foxx and Manny Ramirez, all with much higher lifetime batting averages, and better home run averages. (at bats per home run).

Also topping Mays and Aaron in these categories are :

Frank Thomas, Hank Greenberg, Mike Trout, and Mike Piazza.

It was a great achievement for Aaron and Mays to have hit so many home runs, but what must be taken into consideration simultaneously, is the enormous number of at bats they had. At 12,364 ABs, Aaron had more than anyone in baseball history, except Pete Rose. Mays was 13th all-time with 10,881.

Ted Williams (7706 ABs) had only 62% as many ABs as Aaron.
Wow.... maybe they are just going off name recognition. Lots of sports writers are terrible lol
No Pitchers

I’m not too knowledgeable about baseball history. Was wondering who you guys thought was the best player ever. Came across this Is it accurate?
Bleacher Report...Won't give those jackasses the clicks.

Care to give us a thumbnail list of the top 10 or 20 to argue about?

Babe Ruth was the best player ever. Not only was he the best hitter ever one could make the argument that he was the best pitcher ever. Unbelievable.
do you think he would have been as dominating if the sport was integrated back then?....and how was he the best pitcher with only 3 good years as a pitcher?....

Babe Ruth was the best player ever. Not only was he the best hitter ever one could make the argument that he was the best pitcher ever. Unbelievable.
do you think he would have been as dominating if the sport was integrated back then?....and how was he the best pitcher with only 3 good years as a pitcher?....
Yes and because LOL statistics and reports.

Yes and because LOL statistics and reports.
franco if the blacks from the negro leagues were allowed to play back then things would have been quite different....and Ruth had 3-4 good years pitching and he is maybe the best pitcher ever?....if you say so franco....

I’ll take Warren Spahn
Hell of a good lefthander. I'll take Whitey Ford - has lower ERAs, and career ERA. Also, much higher won/loss %.
He was babied and didn't pitch every 4 days. Meanwhile Warren Spahn was an incredible workhorse. Plus he went to my father's high School along with Bob Lanier.
i agree Spahn was a monster compared to Ford....plus he is from my neck of the woods....

He was babied and didn't pitch every 4 days. Meanwhile Warren Spahn was an incredible workhorse. Plus he went to my father's high School along with Bob Lanier.
Maybe that's why he had better ERAs ; better won/loss %s ; Spahn topped a .750 W/L % only twice in 21 seasons. Ford topped it 6 times, in only 16 seasons, including one of .862 (25 and 4 in 1961).

Maybe all this has something to do with why the Yankees won so many more World Series than the Braves, ..better management of their pitching staff. Space your aces out - don't over work them.

Last edited:
I agree. Ruth was the best hitter. Very hard to top a .342 lifetime batting average + an 11.76 Home run average (best ever - and way above the second best 13.76 of Jim Thome)

Closest competitor is Ted Williams with .344 lifetime batting average, and very good 14.79 home run average (5th best all-time). Also, Williams lost 5 prime years to service in World War II and Korea. Looking at his HR an BA numbers before and after the breaks, if Williams had played those years, he still would have had a .344 lifetime batting avg. + 692 career home runs. Simply awesome.

PS - Williams didn't just hit over .400 once (.406 in 1941). He also hit .407 in 91 at bats, rejoining the Red Sox in 1953, after serving in Korea.

Last edited:
Maybe that's why he had better ERAs ; better won/loss %s ; Spahn topped a .750 W/L % only twice in 21 seasons. Ford topped it 6 times, in only 16 seasons, including one of .862 (25 and 4 in 1961).

Maybe all this has something to do with why the Yankees won so many more World Series than the Braves, ..better management of their pitching staff. Space your aces out - don't over work them.
maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Yankees were spending so much more money than anyone else there were at like 90% of the world series. Screw the Yankees LOL bill mazeroski!!

What do you disagree with Franco ? I stated pure FACTS, not opinion.

Spahn won 20 games 13 times including 6 straight years.....Ford 2 times.....if Spahn was on a team like the Yankees he would have been even better...

Easy to have a great W/L record when you play for the Yankees of the 50s and early 60s

I’ll take Warren Spahn
Hell of a good lefthander. I'll take Whitey Ford - has lower ERAs, and career ERA. Also, much higher won/loss %.
On a real evil empire team -what is the percentage of games they won compared to the Boston Milwaukee braves. You could only baby whitey Ford because they had five great starters all the time and great relievers. Not to mention ridiculous lineups.

Forum List

Back