Best baseball player ever.

PS - Williams didn't just hit over .400 once (.406 in 1941). He also hit .407 in 91 at bats, rejoining the Red Sox in 1953, after serving in Korea.

Amazing year for Williams. He came back from Korea mid season and had not picked up a bat in years. It was feared that he would be washed up after Korea. He showed them

He was babied and didn't pitch every 4 days. Meanwhile Warren Spahn was an incredible workhorse. Plus he went to my father's high School along with Bob Lanier.
Maybe that's why he had better ERAs ; better won/loss %s ; Spahn topped a .750 W/L % only twice in 21 seasons. Ford topped it 6 times, in only 16 seasons, including one of .862 (25 and 4 in 1961).

Maybe all this has something to do with why the Yankees won so many more World Series than the Braves, ..better management of their pitching staff. Space your aces out - don't over work them.
maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Yankees were spending so much more money than anyone else there were at like 90% of the world series. Screw the Yankees LOL bill mazeroski!!
Yeah ? You got the stats on the monies spent by the Braves and Yankees ? So what does it mean ? That the Yankees had better hitters with Mantle and Maris - home run machine ?

Braves had Aaron and Mathews - not exactly puny in the home run department, between the 2 of them, they averaged 633 lifetime home runs (755 for Aaron and 512 for Eddie Mathews.

Aaron hit over 40 HRs a season 8 times. Mathews did it 4 times, and hit over 30 HRs 10 times. Whatever the Braves spent, they had 2 of the top HR hitters the game has ever seen.

Last edited:
Babe Ruth couldn't play today.He was too fat,drank,couldn't run.Designated hitter at best

GTFO

He hit more home runs that entire teams!

He held World Series PITCHING record that stood until White Ford
what record was that frank?.....it was in the dead ball era which should not be compared with the modern era.....

Same way Pedro Martinez is one of the greatest picters ever, it's how he performed among his peers

Dead ball and 714 HR's.

BabeRuthPitching.jpg

Babe Ruth couldn't play today.He was too fat,drank,couldn't run.Designated hitter at best

GTFO

He hit more home runs that entire teams!

He held World Series PITCHING record that stood until White Ford
what record was that frank?.....it was in the dead ball era which should not be compared with the modern era.....

Same way Pedro Martinez is one of the greatest picters ever, it's how he performed among his peers

Dead ball and 714 HR's.

BabeRuthPitching.jpg
you did not tell me the pitching record.....and Ruth was a hitter in the modern era...

Amazing year for Williams. He came back from Korea mid season and had not picked up a bat in years. It was feared that he would be washed up after Korea. He showed them
Williams career on base percentage was .482 (an all time mlb record). He would have had many more home runs, if he hadn't been walked so much. Led the American League in walks 8 times (6 of them in consecutive years)

Williams career on base percentage was .482 (an all time mlb record). He would have had many more home runs, if he hadn't been walked so much. Led the American League in walks 8 times (6 of them in consecutive years)

and dont forget the years he was in the military .....

That is amazing
On base nearly 50 percent of the time

Today, they love walks in Moneyball

This thread would be remiss to not include this short video. No pitcher in the 20th century ever got the job done as flawlessly, when the chips were really down (in the World Series), against top rate teams, than Whitey Ford.

ALL TIME RECORD - 332 consecutive scoreless innings in World Series competition.
Simply incredible. Yet true.

Last edited:
He was babied and didn't pitch every 4 days. Meanwhile Warren Spahn was an incredible workhorse. Plus he went to my father's high School along with Bob Lanier.
Maybe that's why he had better ERAs ; better won/loss %s ; Spahn topped a .750 W/L % only twice in 21 seasons. Ford topped it 6 times, in only 16 seasons, including one of .862 (25 and 4 in 1961).

Maybe all this has something to do with why the Yankees won so many more World Series than the Braves, ..better management of their pitching staff. Space your aces out - don't over work them.
maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Yankees were spending so much more money than anyone else there were at like 90% of the world series. Screw the Yankees LOL bill mazeroski!!
Yeah ? You got the stats on the monies spent by the Braves and Yankees ? So what does it mean ? That the Yankees had better hitters with Mantle and Maris - home run machine ?

Braves had Aaron and Mathews - not exactly puny in the home run department, between the 2 of them, they averaged 633 lifetime home runs (755 for Aaron and 512 for Eddie Mathews.

Aaron hit over 40 HRs a season 8 times. Mathews did it 4 times, and hit over 30 HRs 10 times. Whatever the Braves spent, they had 2 of the top HR hitters the game has ever seen.
And the Yankees had nine guys who created Homers. Please of course the Yankees had much more money than anyone else. I like some of their players but I hate corporate Yankees and their fans who haven't considered these facts. Now other teams spend the same it's not the same. Bill mazeroski home run was called the biggest hit of all time. Yankees outscored the pirates by more than any team ever did in a series and lost lol. My first series. I then was for whoever might beat the Yankees LOL until we took a vacation to New England during the 75 world series and I lived in Boston @redsox Central liquor store.at any rate babe Ruth was the best hitter best baseball player ever. Selling him to the Yankees like several others killed the red Sox for decades.

This thread would be remiss to not include this short video. No pitcher in the 20th century ever got the job done as flawlessly, when the chips were really down (in the World Series), against top rate teams, than Whitey Ford.

ALL TIME RECORD - 332 consecutive scoreless innings in World Series competition.

He beat babe Ruth by an inning. And he was a pansy LOL. He never pitched a full season

do you have that right?..........he has only pitched 146 innings in World Series play.....

He beat babe Ruth by an inning. And he was a pansy LOL. He never pitched a full season
yes he did.....he was 25-4 in 61 starting 39 games....and 8 times he started over 30 games....

And the Yankees had nine guys who created Homers. Please of course the Yankees had much more money than anyone else. I like some of their players but I hate corporate Yankees and their fans who haven't considered these facts. Now other teams spend the same it's not the same. Bill mazeroski home run was called the biggest hit of all time. Yankees outscored the pirates by more than any team ever did in a series and lost lol. My first series. I then was for whoever might beat the Yankees LOL until we took a vacation to New England during the 75 world series and I lived in Boston @redsox Central liquor store.at any rate babe Ruth was the best hitter best baseball player ever. Selling him to the Yankees like several others killed the red Sox for decades.
Ruth was the best hitter of his time.....

So you have no facts on the spending. Talk about it again when you do. We'll agree on Ruth.

We won't agree on Yankees having 9 guys who hit homers (not significantly that is). They had Maris with 61 (still the all-time single season record), and Mantle with 54 (would have had more if not missing many games). But you said 9 guys. Here are some of the others in that 9 lineup.
Bobby Richardson - 3 HRs in 662 ABs.
Tony Kubeck - 8 HRs in 617 ABs
Clete Boyer - 11 HRs in 504 ABs

Just to show I'm being fair, the Yankees also (incredibly) had 42 HRs from their catcher position. Blanchard & Howard both hitting 21. Blanchard that year had a better home run avg. than Babe Ruth's # 1 career avg. Blanchard & Howard both hit over .300.

do you have that right?..........he has only pitched 146 innings in World Series play.....
Sorry. It was 33 innings - that's the all time record. Thank you for the correction.

Record still stands - 59 years later. A record unlikely to EVER be broken. Same as Mickey Mantle's record of 18 World Series HRs.

Forum List

Back