Best year in movie history???

1939 is widely considered the greatest in film history by film critics and historians

Best year in movie history???​

In absolute terms, the best year in movie history was probably 1990.

The era of mega blockbusters started in the late '70s as a resulting juxtaposition of increasing budgets, movie ideas, great actors, new ideas, and motion picture technology all began coming together to unite in phenomenal movie possibilities.

It probably was set off starting in the late 70's with movies like Star Wars, Alien, and Star Trek The Motion Picture and just got better and better throughout the 1980s making the 80s maybe the best decade in motion pictures with perhaps the 1990s a close second.

And while these movies are not all my personal cup of tea, to be honest, I've not seen them all, I have to admit that probably, 1990 had more really BIG movie hits for more people of more tastes overall than any other year ever, with:

Goodfellas 10/10.
Edward Scissorhands 9/10.
Dances with Wolves 9/10.
The Godfather Part III 8/10.
Miller's Crossing 8/10.
Jacob's Ladder 8/10.
Wild at Heart 7/10.
Total Recall 7/10.
Home Alone 7/10.
Close-up 7/10.

I revere Dances With Wolves as one of my favorite movies of all time.

Great movies continued to pop up here and there with less frequency through the 1990s to where, by 2012-2015, great blockbusters people raved about driving me to the theater seem to have all but ceased. Hollywood let the technology take over the movies to where rather than enhance it, it started to smother it with CGI and special effects as a replacement for good stories and good acting as all the great ideas had been tried and already done, stuff wasn't new or original anymore, and the really good actors were all old, dead and gone with few if any new actors good enough to replace them, so, Hollywood has been in final decline ever since about 2010, the era of great movies over, with movies now remakes of old movies and old ideas, pushing political agendas, and far too much CGI and special effects trying to cover for a total lack of good writing, story or acting.

So, if you grew up to enjoy the movie saga of the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, you've lived through the best era in major motion-picture magic.

In absolute terms, the best year in movie history was probably 1990.

The era of mega blockbusters started in the late '70s as a resulting juxtaposition of increasing budgets, movie ideas, great actors, new ideas, and motion picture technology all began coming together to unite in phenomenal movie possibilities.

It probably was set off starting in the late 70's with movies like Star Wars, Alien, and Star Trek The Motion Picture and just got better and better throughout the 1980s making the 80s maybe the best decade in motion pictures with perhaps the 1990s a close second.

And while these movies are not all my personal cup of tea, to be honest, I've not seen them all, I have to admit that probably, 1990 had more really BIG movie hits for more people of more tastes overall than any other year ever, with:

Goodfellas 10/10.
Edward Scissorhands 9/10.
Dances with Wolves 9/10.
The Godfather Part III 8/10.
Miller's Crossing 8/10.
Jacob's Ladder 8/10.
Wild at Heart 7/10.
Total Recall 7/10.
Home Alone 7/10.
Close-up 7/10.

I revere Dances With Wolves as one of my favorite movies of all time.

Great movies continued to pop up here and there with less frequency through the 1990s to where, by 2012-2015, great blockbusters people raved about driving me to the theater seem to have all but ceased. Hollywood let the technology take over the movies to where rather than enhance it, it started to smother it with CGI and special effects as a replacement for good stories and good acting as all the great ideas had been tried and already done, stuff wasn't new or original anymore, and the really good actors were all old, dead and gone with few if any new actors good enough to replace them, so, Hollywood has been in final decline ever since about 2010, the era of great movies over, with movies now remakes of old movies and old ideas, pushing political agendas, and far too much CGI and special effects trying to cover for a total lack of good writing, story or acting.

So, if you grew up to enjoy the movie saga of the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, you've lived through the best era in major motion-picture magic.

No

1982 or 1994

No 1982 or 1994

I am not going by MY personal favorites but trying to be objective.

But 1994? What came out good that year but Pulp Fiction? Not much else I remember liking.

And 1982? Well, you have a much better case there with many great movies I personally like like:
  • Bladerunner
  • The Thing (Kurt Russel)
  • First Blood
  • The Wrath of Khan
  • Poltergeist
  • Fast Times At Ridgemont High
  • 48 Hours
  • An Officer and a Gentleman
  • My Favorite Year (a great comedy)
Add to that many good lesser films not important to me but big hits for many, like:
  • The Man From Snowy River
  • A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
  • Annie
  • The World According To Garp
  • Victor/Victoria
  • Creepshow
  • The Secret of NIHM
  • The Verdict
  • Sophie's Choice
  • The Dark Crytal
  • Conan The Barbarian
  • King of Comedy
  • Rocky III
  • Tootsie
  • Gandi, and
  • ET
  • The Entity
  • Airplane II
  • Death Wish II
  • Best Little Whorehouse In Texas

OK, you sold me. I can't argue against that. 1982 was the best year ever in movies, keeping with my feeling that things really took off in the late 70s, and were starting to fizzle out by the 1990s.

Last edited:
I am not going by MY personal favorites but trying to be objective.

But 1994? What came out good that year but Pulp Fiction? Not much else I remember liking.

And 1982? Well, you have a much better case there with many great movies I personally like like:
  • Bladerunner
  • The Thing (Kurt Russel)
  • First Blood
  • The Wrath of Khan
  • Poltergeist
  • Fast Times At Ridgemont High
  • 48 Hours
  • An Officer and a Gentleman
  • My Favorite Year (a great comedy)
Add to that many good lesser films not important to me but big hits for many, like:
  • The Man From Snowy River
  • A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
  • Annie
  • The World According To Garp
  • Victor/Victoria
  • Creepshow
  • The Secret of NIHM
  • The Verdict
  • Sophie's Choice
  • The Dark Crytal
  • Conan The Barbarian
  • King of Comedy
  • Rocky III
  • Tootsie
  • Gandi, and
  • ET
OK, you sold me. I can't argue against that. 1982 was the best year ever in movies, keeping with my feeling that things really took off in the late 70s, and were starting to fizzle out by the 1990s.

Also ET in 82

94 - Shawshank Redemption

Also ET in 82
94 - Shawshank Redemption

I included ET. I've never seen either movie but I know lots of people like both, especially ET. Even Jim Ignatowski was big on E.T. :smoke:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2Fa5%2F05%2Fd8%2Fa505d83acc073f244cc1361c0786f51d--movie-characters-vintage-tv.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=e80a87f56be474b9e9f25f4ff91b3ae033892318ce5515f4d489f10dea92d838&ipo=images

1942, Casablanca, Road to Morocco (Hope&Crosby), Holiday inn (white Christmas), Pride of the Yankees, this Gun for Hire, All Through the Night (Bogie vs Nazis) and a dozen more.

I went through the top 600 movies of 1982. I'd say a good 300 of them had a pretty fair to good audience reception, which means that 1982 probably had about 6 new movies worth seeing for EVERY WEEK OF THE YEAR.
Hot Moves? :D

Oops, that was '84.

Forum List

Back