Bible verse quoting at Capitol Hill

LittleNipper

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2013
A heated battle is brewing on Capitol Hill over cuts to the food stamp program, with lawmakers quoting Bible verses at each other and benefits for millions of people hanging in the balance.

Please see: http://inplainsight.nbcnews.com/_ne...rs-over-food-stamp-program-as-costs-grow?lite

So my question is (as always) Why doesn't this happen when the issue is CREATIONISM, PRAYER, & BIBLE READING in Public School? Why do some people suddenly get religious ONLY when it comes to the poor and needy? Perhaps the lack of Bible reading and prayer in our educational institutions is what brings about all the poor and needy in the first place --- lying, cheating, disrespect, foul language, drunkeness, premarital sex, drug addiction, etc... I guess no one sees any correlation here? Do they really feel that God does not see the hypocrisy.

Last edited:
A heated battle is brewing on Capitol Hill over cuts to the food stamp program, with lawmakers quoting Bible verses at each other and benefits for millions of people hanging in the balance.

Please see: Ax hovers over food stamp program as costs grow - In Plain Sight

So my question is (as always) Why doesn't this happen when the issue is CREATIONISM, PRAYER, & BIBLE READING in Public School? Why do some people suddenly get religious ONLY when it comes to the poor and needy? Perhaps the lack of Bible reading and prayer in our educational institutions is what brings about all the poor and needy in the first place --- lying, cheating, disrespect, foul language, drunkeness, premarital sex, drug addiction, etc... I guess no one sees any correlation here? Do they really feel that God does not see the hypocrisy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It you believe in God or not is not the point...do you believe that the government should be responsible to help the poor or is that the responsibility of each individual?

Keep in mind....if you say government then they will need the power and resources to carry out that responsibility. Thus taking from one to give to another.

It you believe in God or not is not the point...do you believe that the government should be responsible to help the poor or is that the responsibility of each individual?

Keep in mind....if you say government then they will need the power and resources to carry out that responsibility. Thus taking from one to give to another.

It was never the responsibility of the government. It is the responsibility of the church to assist those who are impoverished. Not the government. - Jeri

I believe it is up to individuals and independent organizations. One very important organization would be the community church.:clap2:

There is nothing wrong with communities (including "local" governments) to aid disadvantaged citizens. These can, and should, include churches, rotary clubs, etc. As to regular financial payments to individuals, without expectation of trade for labor or repayment at some point, no fucking way!

We all need a society that manages disasters, builds infrastructure and the like- this is financed through a tax system in most nations. THIS IS NOT what TEA Party folks are organized to prevent. Anyone who promotes that idea is either ill informed or stupid.

It was never the responsibility of the government. It is the responsibility of the church to assist those who are impoverished. Not the government. - Jeri

I couldn't agree more!

There is nothing wrong with communities (including "local" governments) to aid disadvantaged citizens. These can, and should, include churches, rotary clubs, etc. As to regular financial payments to individuals, without expectation of trade for labor or repayment at some point, no fucking way!

We all need a society that manages disasters, builds infrastructure and the like- this is financed through a tax system in most nations. THIS IS NOT what TEA Party folks are organized to prevent. Anyone who promotes that idea is either ill informed or stupid.

I'm against using the federal tax system to finance disaster relief.. At most it should left up to the state to decide.

The only exception would be for foreign enemies that invade and destroy.

Forum List

Back