🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Biden And Racial Slurs

This is the logo of the largest manufacturer of mechanical watches in its country -- note where it's based:

images

:banghead:

Like I said, you don't like it write to ABC, CBS, CNN and MSNBC

You can start here:

The word “Orient” is considered widely outdated and could be perceived as offensive, or insensitive, especially when used in reference to people.

Joe Biden Refers to Asia as 8216 The Orient 8217 - ABC News

ABC News isn't here -- but you brought it in as an example of --- sum'pm -- which you can't explain.

Why did you bring in a point you can't explain?

"Shylock"?? What the fuck -- SHYLOCK?? We're going to Shakespeare to scour up PC outrage now, are you shittin' me?

This is the only "Shylock" I ever heard of, and runs in Sunday comics to this day:

feb24.gif

-- anybody wanna fill me in on the "Indian" reference?
----

Sure the Indian reference was when he said the only way you can visit a 7-11 these days is if you have an India accent ( East Indian)

Shylock has been offensive for years.

Uh-- where did you hear that? Can a slur be a slur if no one even knows about it?

And how is the Indian reference a slur?

Anybody?

Oh, everybody knew about his Indian comment the same way they knew about Hilary Clinton bashing Indian.

“I love this quote. It’s from Mahatma Gandhi. He ran a gas station down in St. Louis for a couple of years. Mr. Gandhi, do you still go to the gas station? A lot of wisdom comes out of that gas station” – Hillary Clinton, Former Secretary of State

“You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking!” – Joe Biden, Vice President

6 Horribly Racist Comments from Obama Administration Officials
Ah good -- new material. The old sure wasn't working.

Care to try again on the Ghandi quote? How's THAT one "offensive"??

Ya think it might mean something that nobody can answer these questions? Ya think?

I've answered you, you just want to pretend as if I have not, because you want to pretend Biden and Clinton were not making bigoted and racist remarks. Come one Pogo, if you can't see how inferring Gandhi owned a gas station is not racist and fueling stereotype that certain ethnic groups are synonymous with operating gas stations, there is really no point in continuing. Clinton apologized for her remarks as well.

How is owning a gas station "racist"? Explain the process. Explain how running a gas station (it says "ran", not "owned", perhaps you're not even reading your own material?) conveys some implication that one's race is inferior?

How does it do that? How does the process work?

And what does it mean that these questions have no answer? Just take a wild guess.

Consider that Hillary's liberal education had her convinced that the word was spelled "Gandy" and referred to a railroad labourer. Not entirely her fault - but then nothing is or ever was.

Consider that Hillary's liberal education had her convinced that the word was spelled "Gandy" and referred to a railroad labourer. Not entirely her fault - but then nothing is or ever was.

STILL not an answer.

-- no one has anything then?
impatient.gif

Frank?

Café?

Logik? Opie? Anyone?

This is the logo of the largest manufacturer of mechanical watches in its country -- note where it's based:

images

You can start here:

The word “Orient” is considered widely outdated and could be perceived as offensive, or insensitive, especially when used in reference to people.

ABC News isn't here -- but you brought it in as an example of --- sum'pm -- which you can't explain.

What PM? I have no clue what you are speaking of. I have already explained to you the word is considered offensive. I suppose it is on the same level as Redskin, some may find offense other may not. the person Biden referred to was Asian or from Singapore, from the continent of Asia, not the continent of the Orient, which in the past included Iran and Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries. Either way, I learned years ago Orient and Oriental were off limits in the PC world we live in today. It's been considered a pejorative for sometime to refer to a person as Oriental or from the Orient.

images

You can start here:

What PM? I have no clue what you are speaking of. I have already explained to you the word is considered offensive. I suppose it is on the same level as Redskin, some may find offense other may not. the person Biden referred to was Asian or from Singapore, from the continent of Asia, not the continent of the Orient, which in the past included Iran and Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries. Either way, I learned years ago Orient and Oriental were off limits in the PC world we live in today. It's been considered a pejorative for sometime to refer to a person as Oriental or from the Orient.

I said nothing about a "PM".

I asked for any way any of these are slurs. The accents. The gas station. The "orient" -- and this is absolute bullshit, just because somebody writes on some blog "ooh, 'the orient' is anti-Semitic" --- no it isn't. Doesn't refer in any way to Semites or anyone else. It means east.

Show me some example of anyone, ever anywhere, before today, minus Biden, where anyone tried to pretend "The Orient" was some kind of slur. Anything?

Diga me -- if "orient" is some kind of anti-Semitic slur, what is its opposite, occident? Some kind of sexism? :dunno:

This thread is a complete crock of malarkey.

images

You can start here:

I asked for any way any of these are slurs. The accents. The gas station. The "orient" -- and this is absolute bullshit, just because somebody writes on some blog "ooh, 'the orient' is anti-Semitic" --- no it isn't. Doesn't refer in any way to Semites or anyone else. It means east.

Show me some example of anyone, ever anywhere, before today, minus Biden, where anyone tried to pretend "The Orient" was some kind of slur. Anything?

Diga me -- if "orient" is some kind of anti-Semitic slur, what is its opposite, occident? Some kind of sexism? :dunno:

Okay, here you go:

Christopher Hill , March 17, 2009

What's the Matter with Saying 'The Orient'?

Over the last twenty years most foreign scholars of Japanese history and society have stopped using phrases such as "the Orient," "the Far East," and "the East" in their classes and writing.

About Japan A Teacher s Resource What s the Matter with Saying The Orient Japan Society

Oriental: Rugs or People?

The first time I felt the full force behind the word �Oriental,� I was 13. My music teacher was explaining the phrasing of a difficult passage to my string quartet, and we all nodded. Suddenly he turned to me, the only Asian in the group, and said, �Oh, stop being so Oriental and nodding.� I felt like I�d been slapped in the face

John Kuo Wei Tchen, director of the Asian/Pacific/American Studies Program and Institute at New York University, said the basic critique of the term developed in the 1970s. �With the anti-war movement in the �60s and early �70s, many Asian Americans identified the term �Oriental� with a Western process of racializing Asians as forever opposite �others,�� said Tchen.

Oriental Rugs or People NYU Livewire

September 02, 2009

NPR Story:

It's an adjective that used to describe rugs, not people. That's the message New York Gov. David Paterson turned into law this week when he signed a bill that bans state documents from using the term "oriental" when referring to people of Asian or Pacific heritage. Jeff Yang, an Asian Pop columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, discusses the history of the loaded term and why so many Asian-Americans find it offensive.

Oriental Rugs Not People NPR

There are plenty more to prove it is not malarkey as you claim.

Last edited:
Orient-Watch1.jpg

Damn Japanese anti-Semites. :rofl:

I do believe you are mixing your racial pejoratives. Biden flubbed twice today in two separate speeches. One where he used the term Shylock and the other where he said the guy was from the Orient. But do see my post above where I answer your question about the Orient being offensive. But then again, unless you can explain why the term Redskin is only offensive to some American Indians while others could care less, why is congress even involved in that issue?

Pssst Its a rhetorical question Pogo. ;)

images

You can start here:

Okay, here you go:

Over the last twenty years most foreign scholars of Japanese history and society have stopped using phrases such as "the Orient," "the Far East," and "the East" in their classes and writing.

About Japan A Teacher s Resource What s the Matter with Saying The Orient Japan Society

The first time I felt the full force behind the word �Oriental,� I was 13. My music teacher was explaining the phrasing of a difficult passage to my string quartet, and we all nodded. Suddenly he turned to me, the only Asian in the group, and said, �Oh, stop being so Oriental and nodding.� I felt like I�d been slapped in the face

John Kuo Wei Tchen, director of the Asian/Pacific/American Studies Program and Institute at New York University, said the basic critique of the term developed in the 1970s. �With the anti-war movement in the �60s and early �70s, many Asian Americans identified the term �Oriental� with a Western process of racializing Asians as forever opposite �others,�� said Tchen.

September 02, 2009

NPR Story:

It's an adjective that used to describe rugs, not people. That's the message New York Gov. David Paterson turned into law this week when he signed a bill that bans state documents from using the term "oriental" when referring to people of Asian or Pacific heritage. Jeff Yang, an Asian Pop columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, discusses the history of the loaded term and why so many Asian-Americans find it offensive.

OK two things --
First example, the quote, "stop being so Oriental and (taking whatever action) clearly introduces action and at least commits a stereotype. It's maybe not racist since it doesn't say the behaviour is inferior (though it does so imply).

But -- second thing -- both entries refer to the adjective "Oriental" What Biden said was "The Orient" --- which refers to a place --- not a person.

If we were standing in Singapore and some local referred to us as "occidentals" -- would that be some kind of slur?
Should be, right?

Anyone have a guess why the biggest watchmaker in Japan calls itself what some busybody just today starts imagining is an Asian slur? Again, that's Japan...? Looks like they don't know about it either.

Last edited:
Orient-Watch1.jpg

Damn Japanese anti-Semites. :rofl:

I do believe you are mixing your racial pejoratives. Biden flubbed twice today in two separate speeches. One where he used the term Shylock and the other where he said the guy was from the Orient. But do see my post above where I answer your question about the Orient being offensive. But then again, unless you can explain why the term Redskin is only offensive to some American Indians while others could care less, why is congress even involved in that issue?

Pssst Its a rhetorical question Pogo. ;)

Congess has no bidness in the Redskins (see what I did there?). I've already weighed in on that.

The point of all this being that we can't all just jump on bandwagons like blind sheep on bullshit memes about needing an accent to walk into a store, gas stations, how someone speaks without a Negro accent, invented outrage from freaking Shakespeare, and the most bizarre in this bunch, "the Orient", when they flat-out make no sense on their face. You end up looking stupid. Not you personally, 'you' as iin 'one'.

At least you didn't run away though. Like Frank did. And Henry did. And the OP did.

The point is that liberals are often offensive, but never call each other out. Biden apologized, but he has a bad habit of saying stupid shit.

The left still picks on people from the south, so apparently they don't believe in treating everyone nice.

You can start here:

Okay, here you go:

September 02, 2009

NPR Story:

OK two things --
First example, the quote, "stop being so Oriental and (taking whatever action) clearly introduces action and at least commits a stereotype. It's maybe not racist since it doesn't say the behaviour is inferior (though it does so imply).

But -- second thing -- both entries refer to the adjective "Oriental" What Biden said was "The Orient" --- which refers to a place --- not a person.

If we were standing in Singapore and some local referred to us as "occidentals" -- would that be some kind of slur?
Should be, right?

(emphasis added)

The last two articles deal with the word Orient and Oriental, the first deals with just the Orient.

The habit of explaining distant places in terms of a cultural essence was a common feature of European empires from the eighteenth to mid twentieth century. The association of phrases such as "the East" and "the Orient" with modern imperialism is one reason that some people find them offensive and others avoid them

Tell me the 'place' the Orient is Pogo. (This is exactly what was addressed in the first article I supplied you, I have linked to it again above.

The man Biden referred to could have been from Afghanistan to Tibet using the antiquated word, The Orient, but he was from Singapore.

The simple fact is there's not a damn thing "racist" about noting that Indians in Delaware are running Dunkin' Donuts shops, or using absurd humour to place Mahatma Ghandi in a gas station, or anybody's accent anywhere. This is control freakism run amok, fueling itself on fake outrage --"whooo, he said "Indian'! Woooo, she said 'Ghandi'". People gotta freaking get real.

Or as someone else noted earlier, "binders full of women" -- and I'd add John McCain's "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran". Enough fake offense, sez I. We keep this silly fake crap, nobody's gonna be allowed to speak at all.

Which reminds me -- tomorrow (Friday the 19th) is the annual National Talk Like a Pirate Day. ARRRR!.

Which reminds me of an old joke.
Q What does a Chinese pirate say?
A "ELLLL!"

The point is that liberals are often offensive, but never call each other out. Biden apologized, but he has a bad habit of saying stupid shit.

The left still picks on people from the south, so apparently they don't believe in treating everyone nice.

The right loves it when they take personal responsibility and apologize up front when they they make a mistake. But when a Democrat does it they are not so forgiving.

Hypocrite much? Of course!

Okay, here you go:

September 02, 2009

NPR Story:

OK two things --

Should be, right?

(emphasis added)

The last two articles deal with the word Orient and Oriental, the first deals with just the Orient.

The habit of explaining distant places in terms of a cultural essence was a common feature of European empires from the eighteenth to mid twentieth century. The association of phrases such as "the East" and "the Orient" with modern imperialism is one reason that some people find them offensive and others avoid them

Tell me the 'place' the Orient is Pogo. (This is exactly what was addressed in the first article I supplied you, I have linked to it again above.

The man Biden referred to could have been from Afghanistan to Tibet using the antiquated word, The Orient, but he was from Singapore.

Well now we're venturing all the way out to imperialism, which is getting further afield from "racism" and "anti-Semitism" -- which still has no justification.

"The Orient" as I've heard it -- and this means within my own lifetime -- is synonymous with "The Far East". Which is geocentric as it depends on a "Western" point of perspective ("Western" itself being geocentric) -- and thus a general and vague term meaning "greater Asia" -- generally that part of Asia we here are likely to engage wtih in commerce -- chiefly (there's an old word) China, Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Hong Kong, perhaps Maylasia and Indonesia, at a stretch Thailand -- but not as far as India, since we already have other terms for that.

Then again if we're standing in Europe it could mean Turkey. That I believe is where the Orient Express terminated.

Why would the biggest watchmaker in Japan call itself "Orient" if they thought it was a slur on themselves?

Seems to me slurs are by definition universally known. If you have to refer people to go read Shakespeare and obscure opinion blogs to actually explain why they're slurs -- then they're not slurs. You can't just make it up after the fact. And then trying to stretch what kind of an accent someone has, crap like that that has no logical explanation at all -- is even weaker.

Forum List

Back