Biden Released Brittney Griner from Russian Prison

moscow just released Britney Griner in a prisoner exchange for arms dealer Victor Bout.

• fair trade

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • US (Free World) got rolled

Votes: 36 78.3%

• Total voters
Well...glad to see any US citizen released from unjust imprisonment.

It amuses me to see so much of this story distorted and key pieces left out here..I guess to advance the narratives? My takeaways? Bout served 14 years and many, including his sentencing Judge, advocated for his release. He would have been released in less than 5 years anyway.

Paul Whelan is a work in progress--Russia was unwilling to do a 2 for 1 swap.

So....the Russian guy served well over a decade...Griner a few months--Appears to me justice was served..the whiners will whine..never thinking how very un-american it sounds...that they would cavil at an American being released. I'm sure that her ethnicity, sexual preference and race play no role in their hatred. Right?

All that culminated in a deal on Thursday.
Mr. Bout’s name had regularly surfaced in U.S.-Russian relations following his sentencing in 2012 to 25 years in prison for conspiring to sell weapons to people he believed represented Colombia’s FARC rebels, but were actually DEA agents.
Mr. Bout had been detained, initially in Thailand, since 2008. By 2022, however, he was on track for release within five years, and had secured support for his release as part of a trade from figures including the U.S. District Judge who sentenced him, Shira Scheindlin.
Ms. Scheindlin, who is now retired and works as a mediator and arbitrator, said in an interview earlier this year that she had long considered 25 years imprisonment to be excessive for a sting operation, and had regretted that it was the mandatory minimum she had to impose.
Not included is Paul Whelan, a former U.S. Marine and corporate security executive from Novi, Mich. who is 52 and has been held in Russia since late 2018. He was accused of spying, which he consistently denied, found guilty in June 2020 and sentenced to 16 years. He has served more than two years in a penal colony in Mordovia, the same region 350 miles southeast of Moscow where Ms. Griner had been sent.
Mr. Whelan’s fate became closely tied to Ms. Griner’s after an April exchange that freed Trevor Reed, another former U.S. Marine. Reed, who had been detained since 2019, was released in exchange for a Russian pilot, Konstantin Yaroshenko, who was serving a lengthy sentence in the U.S. for drug smuggling. After that, U.S. officials began referring to Mr. Whelan and Ms. Griner in the same breath.
In July, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken had openly pressed for both Griner and Whelan to be released as part of what he described as a “substantial proposal” in which people familiar with the offer said the U.S. would have freed Viktor Bout. Russia signaled in response that a two-for-one deal was unacceptable.

But the question of a second Russian candidate the Americans were willing to free and the Russians were interested in proved thorny. Amid increasing pressure to bring Ms. Griner home, U.S. officials said, a deal was reached that resulted in the decision to trade Ms. Griner and Mr. Bout.
So, if we had a choice of one of the two citizens', the marine is the one screwed over. Expected.

Do show me where Griner was charged with 'Drug-peddling'? You seem to have some issue with her gender choice...how is that even pertinent?
I dont know the circumstances of Griner’s arrest

But I do know that she was a stupid Black LIES Matter protester who disrespected the American flag

I dont know the circumstances of Griner’s arrest

But I do know that she was a stupid Black LIES Matter protester who disrespected the American flag
None of which has any bearing on the circumstance of her arrest, confinement and release. But your distaste is noted~

Unjust? She was convicted for violating their law? You may not agree with their laws but that doesn't make it unjust.
The enforcement was unjust compared to those accused of similar infractions.
Do you think every Russian found with insignificant amounts of a banned substance gets sentenced to 9 years in a labor camp?

She was targeted as a well known American

Are we still going to hear about how Trump was “Putin’s puppet”, while Biden is releasing Putin’s racist white supremacist merchant of death to appease Putin?

Putin is laughing his ass off right now.

E494D14A-BE15-4323-9531-6AD494DA9BEB.gif

Putin wins again. Congrats lefties.

pOOtler SUCKS AT chess, pOOtler SUCKS AT war, HE LOST THE WAR, AND HIS EMPIRE .

STILL, WHAT WAS BLA reaction exchange on this ?

Forum List

Back