Big oil dumps 168,000 gallons of oil near Galveston bay

Hey, genius...do YOU use oil? Drive a car or ride in a bus? Ever take a pharmaceutical medicine? That computer you're typing on...is it made of plastic? Exactly how do you suggest we transport the stuff?

My God you're a clueless tool.

Actually I'm working on an alternative energy that makes oil obsolete. What is the most abundant substance in the world that can be used for energy? Not oil, not solar, not wind. Think about it.
It's small minds that try to defend something that kills you, like oil, cigarettes and greed..

Q. What alternative energy source can make oil obsolete?

A. Hydrogen.

Good answer, but I've got a better one.

Big oil and the cons continue to destroy the environment. The sea life in the Gulf of Mexico gets fucked again. The Oil spill has shut down the shipping lanes in and out of Galveston bay. Maybe if it destroys the bay the moron Texas Governor will get a clue that regulations and the EPA are not a bad idea.
Oil Spill Cleanup Impedes Major Texas Ship Channel : NPR

Environmental imbeciles mandated that MTBE be added to gasoline in the State of California to clean the air (MTBE is an oxygenate) over the protests of scientists who knew that MTBE was a terrible additive.

After 10 years of use the enviro nuts were finally forced to remove it but not before thousands of water wells had been contaminated and forced to close. You worshippers at the feet of idiotic environmental policies managed to do more damage in 10 years than "Big oil" has accomplished in 100.

Congrats....

The energy you waste cleaning up the mess you make is like a rat chasing it's tail. And the energy you waste trying to defend your destruction of the environment, reveals your total lack of grey matter and spirit.

Yet another stupid guess.

Who cares about the energy used to clean it up? The company did the spill, it gets to spend the money and energy to clean it up.

I'll put my degrees and grey matter up against your credentials and idiocy any day of the week.
You don't get a degree for graduating sixth grade. Your only credentials are forum troll. That's all you do all day every day.

You do for studying Chemical Engineering at a Masters Degree level. You on the other hand are probably some uneducated (or over-educated in bullshit) twat-waffle.

Hey, genius...do YOU use oil? Drive a car or ride in a bus? Ever take a pharmaceutical medicine? That computer you're typing on...is it made of plastic? Exactly how do you suggest we transport the stuff?

My God you're a clueless tool.

Actually I'm working on an alternative energy that makes oil obsolete. What is the most abundant substance in the world that can be used for energy? Not oil, not solar, not wind. Think about it.
It's small minds that try to defend something that kills you, like oil, cigarettes and greed..

Stupidity is a fairly dangerous affliction also.

Kind of like cons telling the poor to stop being poor. So, stop being stupid.

^^^^^ nominee for arrogant post of the day^^^^^^^^

He recently reported that he under tipped a poor server.

You a "con" Hangover?

I really don't understand why concern for our environment provokes such anger and cries of "hypocrisy" in u cons...especially when the destruction from oil spills seems to occur mostly in the waters near the states u favor...Do u not care about ur own health and that of ur kids?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Demonstrate the destruction for us. Santa Barbara has natural oil seeps throughout the channel and it washes ashore on a regular basis. Last time I looked it's still a popular destination for the rich and famous.

The BP oil spill released as much oil as the natural seeps do in the Gulf. So, once again, show us all the damage. When you get a big spill like the Exxon Valdez there is indeed major damage that does indeed kill much wildlife. However, once it's been cleaned it no longer kills things.

You people act like once the spill has happened the damage is forever. Go to the beaches of Santa Barbara someday and look at what happens to it over time...naturally...

This is nothing new. I lived in Houston in the mid 1970's. Damned near every time we went to the beach at Galveston, we had to buy a new beach towel afterward. The clumps of tar all over the beach was SOP. The oil companies and the city and the state didn't give a damn.
If It destroys Padre Island, it's gonna take a big bite out of tourism. I just hope it destroys the oil shipping industry. When oil isn't available, it might give incentive for a new energy.

It's nowhere near Padre; it's up by Houston. Having spent a number of years along the coast, its doubtful that anyone will notice.

Nice standard progressive screed. Do you have this saved to notepad for easy copy paste for every single accident?

Nope. I don't have time to research every single 'accident'. BTW, I'm not sure "accident" is the correct use of the word when it comes to this type of event:

Accident, an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap.

To miss quote President George W. Bush, "Spill oil once, shame on them; spill oil twice a day or more, it ain't no accident, it becomes part of a business plan (don't cry over spilled oil, write if off as a business expense and move on).

So you are saying the Captain deliberately and maliciously grounded the barge?

No I didn't 'say' that, I wrote something those with at least average intelligence and reading comprehension could understand:

it is part of a business plan, oil will spill, why spend a lot of time and money in equipment and training to reduce accidents, when it's cheaper to do a little clean up and spend money in Congress and in buying TV Ads to assure the people that "Chevron Cares" or Exxon Mobil "cares" for the gulf coast. They care about one thing - PROFIT.

Whose to say a captain wasn't drunk (Exxon Valdez ring a bell)?

Opinion: After 25 years, Exxon Valdez oil spill hasn't ended - CNN.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Valdez

Last edited:

The only person acting demonstrably stupid is you.

This is nothing new. I lived in Houston in the mid 1970's. Damned near every time we went to the beach at Galveston, we had to buy a new beach towel afterward. The clumps of tar all over the beach was SOP. The oil companies and the city and the state didn't give a damn.

Things are quite different now then in the seventies. I cant remember the last time I got tar on anything while visiting the beach.
And if you are talking the late seventies it was more then likely from the Ixtoc spill in mexico.

Nope. I don't have time to research every single 'accident'. BTW, I'm not sure "accident" is the correct use of the word when it comes to this type of event:

Accident, an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap.

To miss quote President George W. Bush, "Spill oil once, shame on them; spill oil twice a day or more, it ain't no accident, it becomes part of a business plan (don't cry over spilled oil, write if off as a business expense and move on).

No I didn't 'say' that, I wrote something those with at least average intelligence and reading comprehension could understand:

it is part of a business plan, oil will spill, why spend a lot of time and money in equipment and training to reduce accidents, when it's cheaper to do a little clean up and spend money in Congress and in buying TV Ads to assure the people that "Chevron Cares" or Exxon Mobil "cares" for the gulf coast. They care about one thing - PROFIT.

And looky here, there is an oil spill EVERY DAY OH. MY. GOD! in Santa Barbara.... But it's no big deal...

". There’s an oil spill every day off the coast of Santa Barbara, Calif., where oil is seeping naturally from cracks in the seafloor into the ocean. Lighter than seawater, the oil floats to the surface. Some 20 to 25 tons of oil are emitted each day."

Santa Barbara Oil Seeps : Oil in the Ocean

Exxon Valdez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, sure. They deliberately spill the profit into the ocean so they can spend money cleaning it up instead of making money.

You guys are mental. It's official. Modern day liberal thinking is a disorder of the mind.

And looky here, there is an oil spill EVERY DAY OH. MY. GOD! in Santa Barbara.... But it's no big deal...

". There’s an oil spill every day off the coast of Santa Barbara, Calif., where oil is seeping naturally from cracks in the seafloor into the ocean. Lighter than seawater, the oil floats to the surface. Some 20 to 25 tons of oil are emitted each day."

So you're saying God is drunk (or did s/he have only "two or three vodka's)
See:

Hazelwood climbed the ranks of the merchant marine until he obtained a master's license at age 31. By age 32, he was the youngest captain working for Exxon when he took command of Exxon Philadelphia, a California-to-Alaska oil tanker, in 1978. In 1985 he was master of Exxon Chester when the asphalt carrier ran into a storm during its New York to South Carolina trip. High winds damaged the ship's mast including radar and radio communications antennas. Though the crew was prepared to abandon ship, Hazelwood rallied them and guided the ship to safety.[1] In 1987, he became the alternate master of Exxon Valdez which subsequently received Exxon Fleet safety awards for the year of 1987 and 1988.[5][6]

Hazelwood's driver's license had been suspended or revoked three times by the state of New York for alcohol violations since 1984. At the time of the Exxon Valdez incident, his New York state driving privileges were suspended as a result of a driving under the influence arrest on September 13, 1988.[7] He entered a rehabilitation program in 1985 at South Oaks Hospital in Amityville, New York. Following rehabilitation he received 90 days of leave to attend Alcoholics Anonymous, but it is not clear if he attended during that leave.

During Hazelwood's trial following the accident, Alaska state prosecutors failed to convince the jury that Hazelwood was intoxicated at the time of the grounding. By his own admission, Hazelwood drank "two or three vodkas" between 4:30 and 6:30 that same night, his blood alcohol content was found to be .061. However, the defense argued that the blood samples were taken nearly ten hours after the incident and were mishandled. Most states, including Alaska, do not allow samples after three hours and a preservative required to halt fermentation was not added to the sample. Fermentation could have added to the amount of alcohol in the sample, making the result invalid. As a result of the accident, in 1991 the United States Coast Guard suspended his masters' license for a period of nine months. Hazelwood was acquitted on all felony charges, but was convicted of a misdemeanor charge of negligent discharge of oil, fined $50,000, and sentenced to 1,000 hours of community service.[2]

Joseph Hazelwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Big oil and the cons continue to destroy the environment. The sea life in the Gulf of Mexico gets fucked again. The Oil spill has shut down the shipping lanes in and out of Galveston bay. Maybe if it destroys the bay the moron Texas Governor will get a clue that regulations and the EPA are not a bad idea.
Oil Spill Cleanup Impedes Major Texas Ship Channel : NPR

I agree that Rick Perry is an idiot and that right wingers don't give a shit about the environment but I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that "big oil" is responsible for a shipping accident. Unless we completely stop using oil, then there is always going to be a chance for an accidents.

So you're saying God is drunk (or did s/he have only "two or three vodka's)
See:

Hazelwood climbed the ranks of the merchant marine until he obtained a master's license at age 31. By age 32, he was the youngest captain working for Exxon when he took command of Exxon Philadelphia, a California-to-Alaska oil tanker, in 1978. In 1985 he was master of Exxon Chester when the asphalt carrier ran into a storm during its New York to South Carolina trip. High winds damaged the ship's mast including radar and radio communications antennas. Though the crew was prepared to abandon ship, Hazelwood rallied them and guided the ship to safety.[1] In 1987, he became the alternate master of Exxon Valdez which subsequently received Exxon Fleet safety awards for the year of 1987 and 1988.[5][6]

Hazelwood's driver's license had been suspended or revoked three times by the state of New York for alcohol violations since 1984. At the time of the Exxon Valdez incident, his New York state driving privileges were suspended as a result of a driving under the influence arrest on September 13, 1988.[7] He entered a rehabilitation program in 1985 at South Oaks Hospital in Amityville, New York. Following rehabilitation he received 90 days of leave to attend Alcoholics Anonymous, but it is not clear if he attended during that leave.

During Hazelwood's trial following the accident, Alaska state prosecutors failed to convince the jury that Hazelwood was intoxicated at the time of the grounding. By his own admission, Hazelwood drank "two or three vodkas" between 4:30 and 6:30 that same night, his blood alcohol content was found to be .061. However, the defense argued that the blood samples were taken nearly ten hours after the incident and were mishandled. Most states, including Alaska, do not allow samples after three hours and a preservative required to halt fermentation was not added to the sample. Fermentation could have added to the amount of alcohol in the sample, making the result invalid. As a result of the accident, in 1991 the United States Coast Guard suspended his masters' license for a period of nine months. Hazelwood was acquitted on all felony charges, but was convicted of a misdemeanor charge of negligent discharge of oil, fined $50,000, and sentenced to 1,000 hours of community service.[2]

Joseph Hazelwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, what I'm saying is there are 20 to 25 tons of oil being dumped into the Santa Barbara channel EVERY DAY, and a lot of that washes ashore on the beaches favored by the rich and famous and you didn't even know it was occurring because IT'S NO BIG DEAL!.

That and it's natural, so there's no one for asshats like Hangover to rail against. The same thing happened with the BP spill. There is an equal amount of oil being dumped into the Gulf EVERY DAY...but it's natural, so asshats have no one to blame, so they ignore it....and the fact that it really doesn't do anything.

Funny how that works.

Forum List

Back