Biggest Issue Facing the US Today?

Expert debunks claim U.S. corporate taxes are too high - CBS News

Funny the corporate tax is 35% yet on average corporations only paid 12%!

Other tax experts have made the same point as Kleinbard. A report by the advocacy group Citizens for Tax Justice noted that 111 of the 288 companies it examined paid zero or less in federal taxes in at least one year from 2008 and 2012.

The truth...

Close this loop hole and then I wouldn't have a problem with going down to 30% for the corporate. Paying zero is just cheating our fucking country out of money that is owed.

Close this loop hole

Which loop hole? Be specific.

What ever one that allows them to pay 0 or 12% when the corporate tax is 30%. Tell me why?

Show me one that pays 12% and I'll show you the error in your math.

20 big profitable US companies paid no taxes

chart.jpg

freaking sad!
There are 20 companies in the Standard & Poor's 500, including drugmaker Merck (MRK), computer storage company Seagate (STX) and automaker General Motors (GM), which reported effective tax rates of 0% or lower in the second calendar quarter despite reporting a profit during the period, according to a USA TODAY analysis of data from S&P Capital IQ. To be included, the companies also needed to report positive earnings before taxes including unusual items.

This analysis shows that while U.S. companies and investors constantly grumble about corporate tax rates, there are many companies that pay nowhere near the highest rates. This is the rule, not an exception. A 2013 report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that profitable U.S. firms filing a Schedule M-3 paid federal taxes of 13% of pretax worldwide income. That's well below the top 35% statutory rate.

I agree it is the economy and the fact the government must subsidize the pay of workers because the corporations refuse to pay livable wages. :)

Exactly! Corporations shouldn't employ anyone who needs to be subsidized.
That'll save the government a ton of dough.
Thank you for proving how truly ignorant republicans are.

Other tax experts have made the same point as Kleinbard. A report by the advocacy group Citizens for Tax Justice noted that 111 of the 288 companies it examined paid zero or less in federal taxes in at least one year from 2008 and 2012.

It's weird that corporations that have no income, pay no taxes. Freaky.
If corporations made no income then they wouldn't exist they would be bankrupt.

Pointing out your idiocy only proves you're ignorant.

If corporations made no income then they wouldn't exist

It is possible for a corporation to lose money for a year or two and still exist.

I agree it is the economy and the fact the government must subsidize the pay of workers because the corporations refuse to pay livable wages. :)

It is possible for a corporation to lose money for a year or two and still exist.
you didn't say a year or 2. You said made no income you didn't expand. And I doubt any company that made no income in 2 years would be in business still.

The truth...

Close this loop hole and then I wouldn't have a problem with going down to 30% for the corporate. Paying zero is just cheating our fucking country out of money that is owed.

Close this loop hole

Which loop hole? Be specific.

What ever one that allows them to pay 0 or 12% when the corporate tax is 30%. Tell me why?

Show me one that pays 12% and I'll show you the error in your math.

20 big profitable US companies paid no taxes

chart.jpg

freaking sad!
There are 20 companies in the Standard & Poor's 500, including drugmaker Merck (MRK), computer storage company Seagate (STX) and automaker General Motors (GM), which reported effective tax rates of 0% or lower in the second calendar quarter despite reporting a profit during the period, according to a USA TODAY analysis of data from S&P Capital IQ. To be included, the companies also needed to report positive earnings before taxes including unusual items.

This analysis shows that while U.S. companies and investors constantly grumble about corporate tax rates, there are many companies that pay nowhere near the highest rates. This is the rule, not an exception. A 2013 report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that profitable U.S. firms filing a Schedule M-3 paid federal taxes of 13% of pretax worldwide income. That's well below the top 35% statutory rate.

To be included, the companies also needed to report positive earnings before taxes including unusual items.

I guess an unusual loss can erase your positive earnings. Weird.

you didn't say a year or 2. You said made no income you didn't expand. And I doubt any company that made no income in 2 years would be in business still.

I'll give your doubt the ridicule it deserves.

so subsidizing corporations is a no no ?

good to know ... Exxon, Shell, and Chevron will disagree but they can kiss my ass.

They pay huge taxes, where is the subsidy? Be specific.

the subsidies are paying their huge taxes ... subsidies being YOU

In the United States, credible estimates of annual fossil fuel subsidies range from $10 billion to $52 billion annually. As of July 2014, Oil Change International estimates U.S. fossil fuel subsidies at $37.5 billion annually, including $21 billion in production and exploration subsidies.

Last edited:
You call people who want fairness lunatics yet you republicans have no problem with YOUR taxes being used to make sure people who do work have foodstamps,TANF and medicaid because the companies refuse to pay higher wages.Now THAT is lunacy.

I think the biggest issue is the economy. The terrible recovery has led to stagnant wages and lack of opportunity across the board. Income inequality has increased due to people in the middle and lower strata failing to get better paying jobs. This has also led to strains in the federal budget, as well as state budgets. Constraints on the miltary budget impede our efforts to win even diplomatically, as other countries perceive our weakness.
The way to reverse this decline is:
-Enact serious tax reform, lowering corporate taxes to competitive levels worldwide
-Simplify the tax code so less is spent on accontants and lawyers figuring out how to game the system
-Roll back the volume of regulations coming out of Washington
-Enact tort reform so honest mistakes do not bankrupt companies.
-Roll back the min wage so lower skilled workers can get hired and gain experience.
China. And/or muslim extremistst being that "US" means the free world or America, take your pick.

You call people who want fairness lunatics yet you republicans have no problem with YOUR taxes being used to make sure people who do work have foodstamps,TANF and medicaid because the companies refuse to pay higher wages.Now THAT is lunacy.

you republicans have no problem with YOUR taxes being used to make sure people who do work have foodstamps,TANF and medicaid

I agree, corporations should fire people who get those.
The government will save billions!

good to know ... Exxon, Shell, and Chevron will disagree but they can kiss my ass.

You think I pay Exxon's taxes?

I think you're too stupid to think about the deep pocket oil industry and how fast the government fills up their wallet everytime they open it ...

Barak Hussein Obama AKA Barry Soetoro...he's going to try his damnest to screw up this country so bad that he thinks it won't be fixable.

He'd better get busy then because he only has two years to undo all the good he's done.

10888626_761031650656558_1510632008694189666_n_zps426a7ba1.jpg

according to obama the biggest issue facing the USA is climate change.

Is anyone on this message board as stupid as obama?

I think you're too stupid to think about the deep pocket oil industry and how fast the government fills up their wallet everytime they open it ...

ok, dingleberry. list the subsidies that the oil companies get.

before you do it, look up the word subsidy.

ok, dingleberry. list the subsidies that the oil companies get.

before you do it, look up the word subsidy.

here ya go redfishbrain

Broadly speaking, a fossil fuel subsidy is

any government action that lowers the

cost of production, lowers the cost of

consumption, or raises the price received

by producers. Types of fossil fuel subsidies

include financial contributions or support

from the government or private bodies

funded by governments, including direct

transfers of funds, transfer of risk such

as loan guarantees, foregone revenue

including through tax breaks, and provision

of goods and services aside from general

infrastructure.1

Oil Change International groups fossil fuel

subsidies according to three categories:

1. Exploration: support for expanding fossil

fuel reserves, including the discovery of

new resources;

2. Production: support to fossil fuel

companies for producing oil, gas, and

coal, usually in the form of special

tax deductions, low-cost access to

government land, and infrastructure

support; and

3. Consumption: support to consumers

to lower the cost of fossil fuel use. (U.S.

fossil fuel consumption subsidies are

listed in Appendix II but are not included

in the total subsidy estimates in this

analysis).

more? or do you feel stupid enough as it is?

Forum List

Back