🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

billions saved

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130211/PRIME08/302110081/1003/rsslink

WASHINGTON — The federal government recovered a record $4.2 billion last fiscal year from medical providers and others who fraudulently billed government health care programs such as Medicare, setting a new record, the Obama administration announced Monday.

The 2012 tally — which surpassed the $4.1 billion the government reclaimed the previous fiscal year — extends a years-long trend and reflects ongoing efforts by the Obama administration to crack down on health care fraud.

This is a good thing, and it has been going on awhile. Nice to see our federal government actually following up on something.

Here is an older article, I am posting the link because I wish to post one snip from the article to show how big this problem has been. The OP's article did not mention this.

Medicare And Medicaid Fraud Is Costing Taxpayers Billions - Forbes

snip;
"Indeed, scamming Medicare and Medicaid is so lucrative that the Russian and Nigerian mobs have gotten involved. And one of the New York crime families has moved to Florida because defrauding Medicare is both more lucrative and less dangerous than some of the traditional organized crime activities.."

• Banned
The 2012 tally — which surpassed the $4.1 billion the government reclaimed the previous fiscal year

• Banned
that article was swatting at the people who were going after the fraud as it they were not going after the fraud.

From your article:
There is broad agreement that fraud is widespread in Medicare and Medicaid, but estimates of the scope vary from $20 billion a year to more than $100 billion. Total spending on the two mammoth entitlement programs is expected to surpass $1 trillion this year.
Medicare and Medicaid fraud could be as much as 100 Billion? 10% of the entire program? :confused:
That report drew stern criticism from members of Congress from both parties. “This lack of progress is deeply disappointing,” said Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del.

Last edited:
Because the government is unreasonable in making the payments it does, it should expect that fraud will be used. Medical providers are expected to provide services for less than those services cost them. Of course they can't. No one could. I don't blame them from trying to recoup some of their losses fraudulently. I've looked at the reimbursement schedules. They are ridiculous.

the link I posted was old, it shows the timeframe of the problem and compliments tthe article in the OP, which clearly shows something is being done.
check dates people......congress complained last year, this year things are looking up. Whats to whine about?

arent you glad we are going after that money now?
You know how much MORE ObamaCare is gonna' cost when Obama give's Amnesty to 11 to 30 million Illegal Aliens?

Hint: It's in the Trillions.

This sort of story is put out there for Low Information Voters like you to feel good about themselves and their Gov't while they shaft us all.

Wake up.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130211/PRIME08/302110081/1003/rsslink

WASHINGTON — The federal government recovered a record $4.2 billion last fiscal year from medical providers and others who fraudulently billed government health care programs such as Medicare, setting a new record, the Obama administration announced Monday.

The 2012 tally — which surpassed the $4.1 billion the government reclaimed the previous fiscal year — extends a years-long trend and reflects ongoing efforts by the Obama administration to crack down on health care fraud.

Let us know when it they get to $4.2 TRILLION.

I thought the right liked saving money and making government function better?

In a lot of past cases of investigations into government fraud and waste, once progress is started, it can get bigger and bigger. Everything has to start somewhere, and let's just hope next year they double what they find, and double again the year after.

Forum List

Back