Black boy, 12, with Down Syndrome Abused by White Guard. As a "Joke."

turning this into a racial issue is why so many are still hung up on race in this country. people that do this are not helping this country, they are not allowing people to forget about skin color. they are true racists.

The officer posing for that picture is inappropriate. However, if the kid was having an episode and threatening to harm himself, then cuffing him, and even laying him on his stomach so he couldn't flail around is likely appropriate for the situation - making use of what's around kind of deal. There are probably better ways to go about it, but I really don't expect an officer to be trained in the politically correct methods of containment of mentally ill young children who are a danger to themselves. I'm sure the first instinct is to simply hold them still physically, but I'm sure that'd rate a hissy fit.

EDIT, eh wrong thread.

This thread the security guard was extremely inappropriate and the school got rid of him - nothing to see there.

The world needs more training on how to accept & work with disabilities. Let this nation serve as an example............................................................the vast majority of the temporarily able bodied will have to adjust to their own......"differences" at some point in their life.

I think I can agree with that Peach. Though it's not just disabilities, we have a hard enough time getting folks to accept and work with normal healthy folks without being asshats. :/

The world needs more training on how to accept & work with disabilities. Let this nation serve as an example............................................................the vast majority of the temporarily able bodied will have to adjust to their own......"differences" at some point in their life.

And you think other nations do it better?

And you think other nations do it better?

No, note I wrote "SERVE AS AN EXAMPLE". There may be small nations, probably the same ones cited when discussing how great they are compared to the USA*, that do more, but I expect the USA to be in the forefront on all issues facing the world.

*Usually countries with small populations, uniform geography, incomes, and cultures.

White Syracuse school guard s joke gets black student to assume the position mom says syracuse.com

15767182-mmmain.jpg

Brandon was accompanied on his first day at Huntington K-8 School in Eastwood by his mother, Brandiss Pearson, her husband and her father.

When they stopped in front of a hallway mural to snap pictures, a school sentry, or security guard, who is white, inserted himself. Brandon and his family are black.

"Wait, wait, wait, hold on,'' Brandiss Pearson recalls the sentry saying. Then the sentry turned Brandon to face the wall and lifted Brandon's hands above his head on the wall, as if to be frisked, she said.

"And he starts laughing and says, 'Now take the picture, he's in the right position,' '' Pearson recalled.

The insinuation went over Brandon's head. He kept smiling. But his family members were stunned, Pearson said. They hurried Brandon off to his classroom to meet his teacher and say their goodbyes. Only after she got home did Pearson stop to process what had happened.

"I was shaking, just like fire-breathing mad,'' she said. ''All he saw was a little black boy who needed to assume the position.''

Pearson is a registered nurse at St. Joseph's Hospital Heath Center. She is studying for a master's degree at Upstate University. She's on the board of directors for Home HeadQuarters...

Pearson reported the incident to Huntington's principal Tuesday afternoon. She tearfully confronted the security guard, or school sentry, Wednesday when she saw him in the hallway. He responded that he thought it was "a funny joke,'' she said.

School administrators put the sentry on leave Wednesday while they look into the incident, said Michael Henesey, coordinator of communications for the school district. Henesey declined to identify the sentry. Pearson said she did not know the sentry's full name.

Update:

Syracuse district fires white school guard for joke having black child assume the position syracuse.com

After reviewing video footage and taking statements, the Syracuse school district fired a white school sentry who was accused of having a 12-year-old black child "assume the position'' while his family took pictures of him on the first day of school.

District officials today said their investigation confirmed that the unnamed employee acted inappropriately.

"The poor judgment and thoughtless actions of one employee should not reflect upon the overwhelming majority of the Syracuse City School District's educators and support staff who give selflessly to our 21,000 students each and every day," the district said in a press release today...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the school system reacted very quickly to this vicious form of racism.

I just wonder how people can be so stupid as to think they can do this shit and still hold on to a job.

And you know, there is just no accounting for taste, but a number of nutbags, it would appear, need to reassess what "funny" is.

Just amazing.

Wonder how long it will take before the KKK starts collecting $$$ for the dude who was fired...

(X)Vicious? I don't think so. A bad choice of words. Obviously you are subject to emotional outbursts I see.

A Syracuse school guard? Remember when the freaking president used the Down's Syndrome "special olympics" as a joke in his stand up comedy routine during his first term? How about the time democrats made fun of Sara Palin's Down's Syndrome baby?

(X)If it were done by a black security guard, it would have never made front page news. What more can be said.

Have to be blind and dumber than the kid to believe this wasn't about race.

(X)Did the security guard call the kid a nasty racial slur? I don't believe so from what I read. So stop with the emotion and maybe start to use some logic or common sense. If you have proof it was racist, show us. Otherwise.

White Syracuse school guard s joke gets black student to assume the position mom says syracuse.com

15767182-mmmain.jpg

Brandon was accompanied on his first day at Huntington K-8 School in Eastwood by his mother, Brandiss Pearson, her husband and her father.

When they stopped in front of a hallway mural to snap pictures, a school sentry, or security guard, who is white, inserted himself. Brandon and his family are black.

"Wait, wait, wait, hold on,'' Brandiss Pearson recalls the sentry saying. Then the sentry turned Brandon to face the wall and lifted Brandon's hands above his head on the wall, as if to be frisked, she said.

"And he starts laughing and says, 'Now take the picture, he's in the right position,' '' Pearson recalled.

The insinuation went over Brandon's head. He kept smiling. But his family members were stunned, Pearson said. They hurried Brandon off to his classroom to meet his teacher and say their goodbyes. Only after she got home did Pearson stop to process what had happened.

"I was shaking, just like fire-breathing mad,'' she said. ''All he saw was a little black boy who needed to assume the position.''

White people have D

Pearson is a registered nurse at St. Joseph's Hospital Heath Center. She is studying for a master's degree at Upstate University. She's on the board of directors for Home HeadQuarters...

Pearson reported the incident to Huntington's principal Tuesday afternoon. She tearfully confronted the security guard, or school sentry, Wednesday when she saw him in the hallway. He responded that he thought it was "a funny joke,'' she said.

School administrators put the sentry on leave Wednesday while they look into the incident, said Michael Henesey, coordinator of communications for the school district. Henesey declined to identify the sentry. Pearson said she did not know the sentry's full name.

Update:

Syracuse district fires white school guard for joke having black child assume the position syracuse.com

After reviewing video footage and taking statements, the Syracuse school district fired a white school sentry who was accused of having a 12-year-old black child "assume the position'' while his family took pictures of him on the first day of school.

District officials today said their investigation confirmed that the unnamed employee acted inappropriately.

"The poor judgment and thoughtless actions of one employee should not reflect upon the overwhelming majority of the Syracuse City School District's educators and support staff who give selflessly to our 21,000 students each and every day," the district said in a press release today...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the school system reacted very quickly to this vicious form of racism.

I just wonder how people can be so stupid as to think they can do this shit and still hold on to a job.

And you know, there is just no accounting for taste, but a number of nutbags, it would appear, need to reassess what "funny" is.

Just amazing.

Wonder how long it will take before the KKK starts collecting $$$ for the dude who was fired...

I wonder how long it'll be before you are not obsessed with race? These are individuals... Race hustler idiot

I'm not obsessed with race at all, oh impolite Jroc. I simply reported a current event. You don't like the content? Well, tough fuck for you.

Of course you are. You're pushing hatred, because you're brain washed liberal clone...You push hatred against the Tea party, hatred against police, hatred against Christians, you're pathetic. My brother is a police officer who had to shoot and kill some scum who tired to run him down with his car. I guess thankfully the guy was white, otherwise you, Al Sharpton,Jessie Jackson would be crying racial prejudice again. People like you are an embarrassment to the rest of us normal people, because you follow the liberal bullshit, blindly and happily

(X)Did the security guard call the kid a nasty racial slur? I don't believe so from what I read. So stop with the emotion and maybe start to use some logic or common sense. If you have proof it was racist, show us. Otherwise.

I think your really pushing the edge of acceptance by implying that only a nasty racial slur counts as racism in this case. While I agree I would probably be just as offended if a security guard were to put one of my sons against the wall in such a way, to just ignore the fact that the young man was black and the fact that there unfortunately are white racists out there, is turning a blind eye to this particular incident. There is evidence this was racially motivated, even if one could argue it is circumstantial, it is still there.

What a great example that guard set for the kids and yes that is sarcasm.

God bless you and the boy and his family always!!!

Holly

Have to be blind and dumber than the kid to believe this wasn't about race.
Consciously or unconsciously, it is about race. I remember a long time ago, a friend of my who was in nursing school was doing training in a hospital maternity ward. One day, all the nurses in the unit were putting little animal stickers on each bassinette. One nurse put the picture of a little monkey on the bassinette of a black baby. She didn't do it purposely, but she was just too dense to realize what she was doing. Someone changed it as soon as it was discovered. It is a matter of being sensitive to connotations.

So when a gang of thirty black teens attack a lone white boy and beat him to a bloody pulp on the side walk, that is just plain ole NOT racism?

roflmao, you people are so fucking stupid, it is beyond belief. Idiotology to the top.

In the mean time:

But that is funny to libtards because of 'white privilege'.

This is not going to end well for the unrestrained bastards.

Good lord man. Take a step back from the conversation real quick. You are coming across as a HUGE asshole with this post.

I know you're ultra partisan but what are you trying to accomplish here???

Just stating the FACTS about idiot liberals who support an unequal standing for white people in a court of law, and who find themselves amused by negative events that befall whites. That sort of thing doesn't really happen to us, see according to you morons because we's gots ourseffs 'white privilege'.

IT's your sides bullshit, so don't act so shocked, hypocritical ass.

In the mean time:

But that is funny to libtards because of 'white privilege'.

This is not going to end well for the unrestrained bastards.

Good lord man. Take a step back from the conversation real quick. You are coming across as a HUGE asshole with this post.

I know you're ultra partisan but what are you trying to accomplish here???

Just stating the FACTS about idiot liberals who support an unequal standing for white people in a court of law, and who find themselves amused by negative events that befall whites. That sort of thing doesn't really happen to us, see according to you morons because we's gots ourseffs 'white privilege'.

IT's your sides bullshit, so don't act so shocked, hypocritical ass.

"Unequal standing for white people in a court of law?" Are you serious?

"Amused by negative events that befall whites." Like what?

Forum List

Back