Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the only unforgivable sin? What is it?

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the only unforgivable sin. What is it?

I looked up Judas, and this led to links asking if Judas blasphemed the Holy Spirit when he betrayed Jesus.

That misses the point entirely.

Judas did not blaspheme the Holy Spirit when he betrayed Jesus. For that, he could have simply gone to Jesus and been forgiven. Jesus forgave all the other men who participated in his crucifixion, so Judas could easily have been forgiven.

But Judas despaired. He did not believe he could be forgiven, so he did not seek forgiveness, instead he killed himself. In despair and suicide, Judas blasphemed the Holy Spirit.

Another way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to live in a state of sin, and refuse to repent.

That is why Catholics who divorce and remarry cannot receive Communion. They are living in a state of sin, and they are refusing to repent from that sin, and therefore cannot go to confession and make their souls proper vessels to receive Communion.

Those who steal cannot receive forgiveness until they return what they have stolen. A thief who refuses what he has stolen is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

I'm not sure about this, but I think a murderer who refuses to turn himself into the police for punishment could also not be forgiven and would be blaspheming the Holy Spirit while he evades justice.

A homosexual couple who gets a state-sanctioned married could not go to a Catholic Church and receive Communion, nor could they get forgiveness while they live together as a couple. This is another example of blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

A woman who refuses to repent an abortion is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Anyone who commits suicide while in a state of sin is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Anyone who despairs, and thinks that what they have done is so wrong that God will not forgive them, and therefore refuses to repent, is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

So a Nazi who realizes that what he has done is horrible and sinful, but then hangs himself in his cell without making a confession, would be blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Blackrook does not understand the atonement or Matthew 6:12.

Last edited:

I looked up Judas, and this led to links asking if Judas blasphemed the Holy Spirit when he betrayed Jesus.

Judas did not blaspheme the Holy Spirit when he betrayed Jesus. For that, he could have simply gone to Jesus and been forgiven. Jesus forgave all the other men who participated in his crucifixion, so Judas could easily have been forgiven.

But Judas despaired. He did not believe he could be forgiven, so he did not seek forgiveness, instead he killed himself. In despair and suicide, Judas blasphemed the Holy Spirit.

Another way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to live in a state of sin, and refuse to repent.

That is why Catholics who divorce and remarry cannot receive Communion. They are living in a state of sin, and they are refusing to repent from that sin, and therefore cannot go to confession and make their souls proper vessels to receive Communion.

Those who steal cannot receive forgiveness until they return what they have stolen. A thief who refuses what he has stolen is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

I'm not sure about this, but I think a murderer who refuses to turn himself into the police for punishment could also not be forgiven and would be blaspheming the Holy Spirit while he evades justice.

A homosexual couple who gets a state-sanctioned married could not go to a Catholic Church and receive Communion, nor could they get forgiveness while they live together as a couple. This is another example of blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Anyone who commits suicide while in a state of sin is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Anyone who despairs, and thinks that what they have done is so wrong that God will not forgive them, and therefore refuses to repent, is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

So a Nazi who realizes that what he has done is horrible and sinful, but then hangs himself in his cell without making a confession, would be blaspheming the Holy Spirit.
I am guessing that you are not even literate enough in the bible to be able to provide us with a single citation in support of your extended nonlinear syllogism ??

Last edited:
Blackrook does not under the atonement or Matthew 6:12.
BR has not yet even made his case with any documentation therefore you are out of order to begin providing documentation of your own to the contrary.

Until BR substantiates his point it is merely hear/say gossip.

I am guessing that you are not even literate enough in the bible to be able to provide us with a single citation in support of your extended nonlinear algorithm ??
I could do some research, but it's been a busy day and I'm tired.

Here is the Protestant theological view:

What is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? | Bibleinfo.com

What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

"Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled. This particular type of blasphemy cannot be duplicated today. The Pharisees were in a unique moment in history: they had the Law and the Prophets, they had the Holy Spirit stirring their hearts, they had the Son of God Himself standing right in front of them, and they saw with their own eyes the miracles He did. Never before in the history of the world (and never since) had so much divine light been granted to men; if anyone should have recognized Jesus for who He was, it was the Pharisees. Yet they chose defiance. They purposely attributed the work of the Spirit to the devil, even though they knew the truth and had the proof. Jesus declared their willful blindness to be unpardonable. Their blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was their final rejection of God’s grace. They had set their course, and God was going to let them sail into perdition unhindered."

"... Again, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit cannot be repeated today, although some people try. Jesus Christ is not on earth—He is seated at the right hand of God. No one can personally witness Jesus performing a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit."

"The unpardonable sin today is the state of continued unbelief. The Spirit currently convicts the unsaved world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). To resist that conviction and willfully remain unrepentant is to “blaspheme” the Spirit. There is no pardon, either in this age or in the age to come, for a person who rejects the Spirit’s promptings to trust in Jesus Christ and then dies in unbelief. The love of God is evident: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). And the choice is clear: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him” (John 3:36)."

Last edited:
BR has not yet even made his case with any documentation therefore you are out of order to begin providing documentation of your own to the contrary.

Until BR substantiates his point it is merely hear/say gossip.
You don't know what hearsay is, obviously. I have caught you misusing legal terms before, so I know you're not a lawyer.

The sin that cannot be forgiven is rejecting Jesus Christ as the Messiah/Savior. The Holy Spirit declares Christ to be God/Redeemer. When a individual ignores every physical, spiritual, intellectual, etc., motivation/evidence that Jesus is the Messiah, this is the one sin that cannot be forgiven.

Some of the Pharisees and the Sadducees rejected Jesus even thought they saw His miracles. They are without excuse.

The ONLY way to heaven is with Christ and not around Him or without Him

BR has not yet even made his case with any documentation therefore you are out of order to begin providing documentation of your own to the contrary.Until BR substantiates his point it is merely hear/say gossip.
Since he has not demonstrated any understanding or given scripture, I am absolutely in order to correct him, and you, for that matter. Now if you wish to provide your own evidence, go right ahead.

Here is the Catholic theological view:

Why is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit an unforgivable sin? Are not all sins forgivable? - Catholic Straight Answers

"So what about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit as an unforgivable sin? First, remember what Jesus said about the Holy Spirit. He identified the Holy Spirit as “the Paraclete,” meaning advocate, comforter, and guide, who instructs us and reminds us of all that our Lord taught. The Holy Spirit is also the Spirit of Truth, God’s eternal, immutable truth to which we pattern our own lives. (Confer John 14:16-27; 16:7-14.)"

"To blaspheme the Holy Spirit, according to our Holy Father [read: The Pope], “does not properly consist in offending against the Holy Spirit in words; it consists rather in the refusal to accept the salvation which God offers to man through the Holy Spirit, working through the power of the cross” (#46). Such blasphemy is to reject the Holy Spirit, to refuse radically to recognize sin and repent of it, and to block the healing and forgiveness offered by the Lord. So the sin is not unforgivable because of its seriousness, but because the sinner lacks the proper disposition to seek forgiveness and thereby to be forgiven. As St. Thomas Aquinas said, “…It excludes the elements through which the forgiveness of sin takes place.” How can the Lord forgive us and reconcile us to a sharing in His life if we refuse to recognize the sin as a sin and to say, “Please forgive me, Lord, for I have sinned against you and my neighbor”? This “hardness of heart” leads to a sustained and firm rejection of the love and mercy of God, which in turn leads to damnation."

BR has not yet even made his case with any documentation therefore you are out of order to begin providing documentation of your own to the contrary.Until BR substantiates his point it is merely hear/say gossip.
Since he has not demonstrated any understanding or given scripture, I am absolutely in order to correct him, and you, for that matter. Now if you wish to provide your own evidence, go right ahead.
Leave me out of this.

He has committed hear/say gossip.

You have committed irregular debate procedure.

Leave me out of this.

He has committed hear/say gossip.

You have committed irregular debate procedure.
I have corrected you for stepping in with an opinion and then acting out of order by correcting another when all that was given is opinion. You were not thinking logically.

You must not have done well in logic and debate.

Forum List

Back